Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is/was your middle schooler happy?

Posted by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 3:13 PM
  • 9 Replies
  • 300 Total Views

I am seriously considering homeschooling, a decision hasn't been made yet, but I am really thinking we will start next fall.  My kids will be in 5th and 6th grades.  Our middle school starts at 5th grade.

Is your middle schooler happy being homeschooled?  Has he/she been homeschooled for their whole school career or have they been to other schools as well?

My kids have varying opinions on the idea of being homeschooled, but we have been talking about it for a couple of years and I think they will both adjust nicely to it as long as I keep other social activities going for them because they both love the social part of life too :)

I think homeschooling can help us slow down in life a bit, and have more time for family. I hope it makes them happier, but I wonder if middle schoolers can ever be really happy anyway ;) 

I am just curious, do your kids ever ask to go to public school?  Or are they content with home schooling?

by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 3:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Anryan
by Welcome Squad on Mar. 24, 2013 at 3:43 PM

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

I am seriously considering homeschooling, a decision hasn't been made yet, but I am really thinking we will start next fall.  My kids will be in 5th and 6th grades.  Our middle school starts at 5th grade.

Is your middle schooler happy being homeschooled?  Has he/she been homeschooled for their whole school career or have they been to other schools as well?

My daughter is 13 and we are about to start 8th grade.  She went to public school til the end of 5th grade when i pulled her out and started homeschooling.  She loves it.  She liked school for her friends and activities but that was it.  She is in more activities now because we have the time for them (bowling, archery, etc) during the day instead of running around like crazy in the evening.  she also goes to co op once a week as well.

My kids have varying opinions on the idea of being homeschooled, but we have been talking about it for a couple of years and I think they will both adjust nicely to it as long as I keep other social activities going for them because they both love the social part of life too :)

I think homeschooling can help us slow down in life a bit, and have more time for family. I hope it makes them happier, but I wonder if middle schoolers can ever be really happy anyway ;) 

I am just curious, do your kids ever ask to go to public school?  Or are they content with home schooling?  i have asked her several times and she has zero desire to go back.  she likes sleeping til 9 and having a relaxed start as well as working with me and at her own pace.  She likes being with the family and doing things at the spur of the moment.  We have homeschooled while camping, etc.

TJandKarasMom
by Welcome Squad on Mar. 24, 2013 at 3:48 PM
This is what I'm hoping for in our family too :)

How was she when you decided to pull her out of public school? Did she question it or show any preference for staying in school?

Quoting Anryan:

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

My daughter is 13 and we are about to start 8th grade.  She went to public school til the end of 5th grade when i pulled her out and started homeschooling.  She loves it.  She liked school for her friends and activities but that was it.  She is in more activities now because we have the time for them (bowling, archery, etc) during the day instead of running around like crazy in the evening.  she also goes to co op once a week as well.

I am just curious, do your kids ever ask to go to public school?  Or are they content with home schooling?  i have asked her several times and she has zero desire to go back.  she likes sleeping til 9 and having a relaxed start as well as working with me and at her own pace.  She likes being with the family and doing things at the spur of the moment.  We have homeschooled while camping, etc.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anryan
by Welcome Squad on Mar. 24, 2013 at 3:58 PM

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

This is what I'm hoping for in our family too :)

How was she when you decided to pull her out of public school? Did she question it or show any preference for staying in school?  We talked about it for a few months prior to pulling her out.  She wasn't having any bullying issues or anything like that i was just disappointed in the curriculum and what she WASN"T being taught (in our state history is an elective, soooo not ok with that lol).  When i made the decision to pull her  we had a long talk and she was very excited about it and has been the whole time.  She loves co op tho as well and there are probably about 200 kids that attend on Fridays with her (k thru 12th grade) and she has 4 classes there.

Quoting Anryan:

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

Bleacheddecay
by Leader on Mar. 24, 2013 at 4:20 PM

My middle schooler LOVED school until she started middle school. She was very excited about it but within a month was miserable and begging to homeschool.

She loved homeschooling but sometimes was frustrated by the lack of constant clear guidelines. She has ADHD and I'm not a stickler for details.

maggiemom2000
by Helping Hands on Mar. 24, 2013 at 11:06 PM
1 mom liked this

My boys are in 6th and 7th grade. We started homeschooling when they started 3rd and 4th. I think they are happy! I talk to them sometimes about, would you rather go to school, and they are very happy being homeschooled. I think once they saw that they could do all of their work at home in significantly less time, dont need to do busy work, or wait around while other kids finish etc., they can't imagine going back.

wendythewriter
by Helping Hands on Mar. 25, 2013 at 8:49 AM
1 mom liked this

My oldest is 12, 6th grade. We only started in January 2012, after some major problems at the elementary school they both attended (he was in 5th at the time, my youngest is now 9 and in 3rd).

He is very happy being homeschooled. He's seen the kids he'd be going to school with, and is not impressed. He loves being able to start school when we want, being done before public school kids are home (even though we start later than they do! lol). He also loves that he doesn't have to keep doing something over and over once he learns it, but that we can take as long as he needs when he's having trouble learning something.

I ask both of them every now and then if they'd rather go back to public school, and the answer is always an emphatic no. lol

Wendy Miller
Single mom of 2 boys
Author of Tangled Deceit (July 2012),  The Secrets He Kept (December 2012), and Ripped Away, coming April 2013!
Learn more about her on GoodReads

Jody59
by Welcome Squad on Mar. 25, 2013 at 7:03 PM
1 mom liked this

I wish you the best in making your decision. We homeschooled 5 kids, all the way through. Two are out of college, two are in college and one at home still. One of mine took a few courses at a private school and one visited public middle school for a day. They did not ask to go to public school. They were basically content. there social outlets were; neighborhood friends, other home school friends, church and scouts. 

As adults our kids really like each other and us and want to maintain close relationships. Yet have great people   and social skills. I am glad we home schooled!

Jody     Check Out The Writing Course

Hairazor
by Welcome Squad on Apr. 25, 2013 at 7:29 AM
1 mom liked this

My homeschoolers asked to try public school this year. It was fun at first but they both said they want to come back home next year. Biggest reason is the amount of time they had to be there. It left no time for the things they enjoy doing. Also, the culture in a middle school is not exactly the real world. It got sort of annoying to my kiddos. Good luck. I will say anytime you have them home with you is good. Even if you just try it for a year or two. You will not regret having that time with your kids.

NYCitymomx3
by Welcome Squad on Apr. 25, 2013 at 8:25 AM
1 mom liked this

My 6th grade ds loves being homeschooled and is a very happy kid.  He has homeschooled since Kindergarten after 2 years of preschool.  He would come out of preschool and any little thing would set him off in a rage.  It was so strange.  We've never looked back.

My 16 y/o homeschooled from 3rd to 8th grade.  She was so precocious and bored out of her mind in the gifted academy she went to.  All I saw was indifference to any kind of learning.  She really loved homeschooling and was always incredibly happy, outgoing, popular, and loved life.   Even now, as a junior at the Fame school in NYC, she continues to exude happiness and joy for life.  I definitely attribute that to her being homeschooled.  

My 19 y/o was absolutely miserable in middle school.  She had always been in the popular groups, and as great as that sounds, it's a fickle bunch of kids and they can just turn on you one day.  She asked to homeschool at the start of 8th grade.  It was an amazing year.  Dd was happier than I'd seen her in such a long time.  She stayed home only that one year with full intention of going to high school (new school, new kids).  

I highly recommend homeschooling.  It gave me my kids back.  Homeschooling is what you make of it.  It doesn't have to be a permanent thing - they can always return to school one day if they really want to.  Pull them out, ease into a schedule slowly after a few months of deschooling, and just enjoy the time together as a family.  You'll never regret it.  :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)