Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you decide what to teach?

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 9:35 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 260 Total Views
My kids will be entering 5th and 6th grades and we are pretty sure we will be homeschooling this fall.

How do you determine what skills they need to work on? Or brush up on? How do you decide what to teach them? (I want them to explore a lot of their own interests, and just have them direct a lot of it, but I also want to make sure they are learning in ALL areas, not just the stuff that is fun or interesting to them).

I was going to use the ccss just to see where the gaps are, but I am wanting to take them out of ps-one reason being to get away from the ccss. Are there certain things states require you to teach them? I feel like the more I learn, the more questions I have!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 9:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
TinasTribe
by Helping Hands on Mar. 28, 2013 at 10:26 PM

First find out what your state laws are. I would go with grade level and if it is not challenging enough accommodate their needs. 

leighp1
by Welcome Squad on Mar. 29, 2013 at 6:27 AM

We started out doing all the subjects and that worked for a while and then we started letting her kind of decide what things she wanted to learn about and I added that into the mix. She loves doing webpages, so I decided that she could make webpages for her studies.  This included grammar and technology and sometimes even some math is thrown in there. There is researching the subjects also. So in creating a webpage, she is learning all the things she needs, yet doesn't feel like it is a school thing (well yeah she does because it is something she HAS to do, instead of something she just does for the fun of it.) The great thing about homeschooling is that you can change it if you don't like it, you can up the levels if it is too easy for them.  It's your decision!!  I am lucky, my state only requires a end of the year evaluation or for them to take the FCAT.  We are opting for the evaluation. Good luck and have fun with it.

I forgot to add that I think they learn more and are more excited to do things when they help pick what they want to learn and how they want to do it.  In all actuallity, it is their education, right? We should teach they way they want to learn it.

AutymsMommy
by Helping Hands on Mar. 29, 2013 at 9:59 AM

In my state there are guidelines as far as the subjects I *must* cover every year.

In grades K-6, those subjects are language arts, math, science, history and *I think* PE; in grades 7-12 those subjects are literature, composition, math, science, history, and PE (I'm not sure about the PE).

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Jinx-Troublex3
by Helping Hands on Mar. 29, 2013 at 7:55 PM
1 mom liked this

When they were little, we use the "What your ** grader needs to know" books. 

Now, we follow the state recommendations (because they may decide to go back to school- I leave it up to each child) and add on as we want to. Usually the state requirements aren't hard at all and a no brainer - so we go over and above. 

Jinx - Homeschooling, Scouting & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Star Scout Ian 1/98, Scout Sean 9/00, Junior GS Heidi 4/03. Wife to Joe & Alpha to German Shepherd Spazz.

maggiemom2000
by Helping Hands on Mar. 29, 2013 at 10:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

My kids will be entering 5th and 6th grades and we are pretty sure we will be homeschooling this fall.

How do you determine what skills they need to work on? Or brush up on? How do you decide what to teach them? (I want them to explore a lot of their own interests, and just have them direct a lot of it, but I also want to make sure they are learning in ALL areas, not just the stuff that is fun or interesting to them).

I was going to use the ccss just to see where the gaps are, but I am wanting to take them out of ps-one reason being to get away from the ccss. Are there certain things states require you to teach them? I feel like the more I learn, the more questions I have!

I don't think there is anything wrong with the CCSS used as a reference for general guidelines about what is appropriate to be taught at different grade levels. The problem is when it drives testing and instruction and ends up limiting education. The way this sort of thing ends up being implemented, it narrrows the focus of education, and it is all about "teaching to the test". If you are taking them out of ps then you are away from those problems. CCSS is a tool that can be used positively in the right situations.

So, I think that using that to look for gaps in your plans is perfect, especially since you can choose to fill in those gaps or not, based on the needs of your kids.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)