Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Real Science 4 Kids Chemistry

Posted by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 10:56 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 335 Total Views
1 mom liked this

I wrote a blog post showing our experience using:

Real Science 4 Kids Chemistry

This year I decided to try the Real Science 4 Kids curriculum. There are not a lot of secular science curriculums aimed at homeschoolers, and I had heard good reviews on this one. My sons are now in grades 6 and 7 so I figured the Middle School, grades 5-8, version would be perfect for us.  We decided to start with Chemistry.
 I am lucky that our charter school purchases our curriculum and educational supplies, so I don't have to worry as much about cost. I decided to go ahead and also order the hands on kit (which has supplies for all three topics: Chemistry, Biology, and Physics). We got the Level 1 kit from Home Science Tools

Level 1 Kit for Real Science 4 Kids

We just finished with the Chemistry unit and so far it this curriculum working for us. The text is very simple, but goes into good detail at the same time. The hands on experiment with every chapter is great. The textbook, laboratory workbook, and teacher's manual are all nicely laid out and easy to follow.

Here's a little summary of our experience.

Chapter 1: Matter

This chapter introduces atoms and the periodic table. I supplemented here with Teacher Book Bag's Periodic Table of Elements Card Kit.  Printed, laminated, and cut out the kids could handle all of the elements of the periodic table, sort them into types, match symbols with names, and even re-create the periodic table on the pocket chart (at least a good chunk of it before running out of room!)

What science curriculum to you like?
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 10:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
MyVavies
by Welcome Squad on Mar. 30, 2013 at 1:31 PM
1 mom liked this

Ya.. that is one of the curriculum's we use for Science. We also use Science Experiments You Can Eat: Revised Edition by Vicki Cobb (Paperback), The Hungry Scientist Handbook: Electric Birthday Cakes, Edible Origami, and Other DIY Projects for Techies, Tinkerers, and Foodies by Patrick Buckley (Paperback), The Cartoon Guide curriculum by Larry Gonick (Paperback), The Focus On curriculum, Microquests curriculum and lots of books like Max Axiom, Super Scientist and whatever we can get out hands on.

I like to have lots of choices. 

maggiemom2000
by Helping Hands on Mar. 30, 2013 at 4:45 PM

Ooo! Lots more links for me to check out!

Thanks!

Quoting MyVavies:

Ya.. that is one of the curriculum's we use for Science. We also use Science Experiments You Can Eat: Revised Edition by Vicki Cobb (Paperback), The Hungry Scientist Handbook: Electric Birthday Cakes, Edible Origami, and Other DIY Projects for Techies, Tinkerers, and Foodies by Patrick Buckley (Paperback), The Cartoon Guide curriculum by Larry Gonick (Paperback), The Focus On curriculum, Microquests curriculum and lots of books like Max Axiom, Super Scientist and whatever we can get out hands on.

I like to have lots of choices. 

Wantn1more
by Welcome Squad on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:40 PM
Has your son tried this? I looked in to it for my 5th grader and what I read was saying it was a bit easy for the intended age groups.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maggiemom2000
by Helping Hands on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:44 PM

Quoting Wantn1more:

Has your son tried this? I looked in to it for my 5th grader and what I read was saying it was a bit easy for the intended age groups.

I just finished this with my 6th and 7th graders. The reading is easy but the concepts are right on. I think it is good for the intended grade level. I did supplement a bit, and I detailed all of that in the post.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN