Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New homeschool

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 5:14 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 242 Total Views
2 moms liked this

Hi I just found this site a few minutes ago and I have lots of questions about homeschooling.  I'm really interested in homeschooling my soon to be five year old because I know it's a much better education, I'm just not sure where to start.  Would I have to alert the board of education and how would he test out of his current grade?   Please help with guidance.  Thanks

by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 5:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
klatshaw
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 5:43 PM

The very first thing you have to do is check to see what your state guidelines are.

trendy2
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 5:47 PM
1 mom liked this

I am in the same boat.  I have had one in kindergarten this year but he will graduate in June.  I have a 5yo as well and a 7mo.  I don't even know where to begin, where to look, what to read, what to teach, you name it, I need to know it...

klatshaw
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 6:03 PM
1 mom liked this

No lie, when I made the decision last summer to homeschool my son this year, the first thing I did was Google homeschool laws in PA. It was a bit overwhelming, all the information and requirements, but once I broke it down and looked at it step-by-step I managed to get through it. As for what to do for school, I get so much of our stuff from the internet. There are many resources out there, it just takes some time to search. So far the only costs I have had have been for printer ink and paper. I use books from the library and had the school lend me some textbooks, we watch videos we find on Netflix. We take field trips (to the grocery store LOL, walking, hiking, fishing with Dad is a good one!). Everything we do can count as school. The possibilities are endless!!!

Helpermom799
by Testing the waters on Apr. 1, 2013 at 7:14 PM

Thanks

wlmsonbdj
by Testing the waters on May. 20, 2013 at 5:43 PM

You don't have to notify anyone.  In the stae of Texas home schools are considered PRIVATE schools.  I would recommend you begin with reading (phonics based program) and some math.  Then just spend time with your child...talking with them and teaching as you go.  When my daughter was 4.5 she begged me to teach her to read.  She had been read to ALL her life.  I went VERY slow and in just 4 months she could read much on her own.  Let your child cook with you, shop with you, etc.  There is so much we can teach just by living and being around other home school families.  

Regarding the testing out of grades....you don't have to do this at all unless you plan to put them in a public school at some point.  We paid for the Iowa Basic test every other year just to make sure our daughter was on schedule.    I would find a support group of like-minded families and enjoy your child.  Home schooling my daughter was the BEST investment I could make.  I loved it and miss it at times.  The best to you!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)