Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you use any online courses??

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 7:34 AM
  • 34 Replies
  • 1795 Total Views

My 2 oldest tried public school this year and have decided that they want to come back home next year. I have two younger children and I work so I am feeling like an online curriculum will be the way to go.

I would love to hear any suggestions you might have. Pro's , Con's, accountability for the kids. How do your kids like it? How much time does it take daily?

Thank you!

Rachel

by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 7:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommy22boys
by Helping Hands on Sep. 5, 2013 at 10:07 PM
I started my 6th grader in online classes this year. He's currently taking world history, photography, and science. My guy needs the structure and accountability the online classes provide. Also I was nervous about middle school math! Lol

Kim                                                                       
 teacherHomeschooling mom and reading book addict

“Home is the best place for teaching many things, first and most important of which is how to think for one's self.” ~Laura Ingalls Wilder

fairymom82
by Testing the waters on Oct. 4, 2013 at 2:36 PM

We use a program called Little LIncolns for our 3rd and 4th grade boys. They have 255 days to complete 180 days of lessons so we have some flexability. Everything is broken into units and those are broken down into weeks and days. Each lesson is 1 days worth. There is offline and online assignments. I do like it but it is harder to get in a rhythm with the kids some days we are still working out the kinks in our scheduling and how long each should take.  The middle school program is called LIncoln Acadamy and is really very similar. 

bugayfamilyof4
by Welcome Squad on Oct. 4, 2013 at 4:19 PM
1 mom liked this
We do time4learning. I like it a lot but we use it as a supplement extra practice.
SusanTheWriter
by Welcome Squad on Oct. 4, 2013 at 4:54 PM

We're using 2 online courses right now.

Time4Writing's Writing the SAT Essay class is 8 weeks long. Each piece of writing gets quick personal feedback from a tutor who also grades actual SAT essays.

She's also taking her Trig class from Thinkwell. Each lesson begins with a video lecture and notes, then provides practice questions.

maggiemom2000
by Helping Hands on Oct. 4, 2013 at 10:42 PM
1 mom liked this

We tried ALEKS for math this year, but we didn't like it. It looked great until I realized there are no lessons. You can get a short explanation, but not a real lesson. We switched to khan academy for math. It is great! The kids love it, it is easy for me to monitor and see what they are doing. Plus, khan academy is free.

We've also used time4learning.com and liked that as well.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Helping Hands on Oct. 6, 2013 at 5:41 PM
I had the same issue with Aleks as PP, the no lessons, so there was no way to really track what DS was doing
DangerousMommy
by Melissa on Oct. 7, 2013 at 10:41 AM

I had good intentions of my 7th grader doing an onine class with The Lukion Project this year, but her hybrid co-op classes are taking a lot more time than I had anticipated. So, we're putting that off until summer, when she can try out one of their summer workshop classes.  

wendythewriter
by Helping Hands on Oct. 7, 2013 at 1:15 PM

We don't, no. My kids have ADHD are are often easily distracted. I find it's easier for me to teach them myself, because unlike the computer, I can tell when they aren't paying attention and I can stop and backtrack or take a break as necessary when that happens. Plus, I know exactly what I am teaching them - many of the online classes I considered (before I concluded it was better for me to do it), didn't give me a clear enough overview of what they would be taught so I didn't feel comfortable letting them do those - it felt like sending my kids to public school, trusting that someone else would teach the kinds of things I wanted them to learn rather than what that someone else wanted to teach them.

We do, however, use some sites for online games and practice for educational purposes. Games tend to keep my kids attention pretty well, so those actually suit our purposes very well.

ncstress
by Helping Hands on Oct. 8, 2013 at 11:03 AM
I opted for AOP Momarch for language arts for my oldest son to free up time so I can work with my younger two. The only thing I've needed to tweek are the book assignments since he's read nearly all the literature they suggest in years prior. I also like that if I want or need I can add projects and take away work.
JKronrod
by Welcome Squad on Oct. 8, 2013 at 12:19 PM

We've been using a variety of online courses, but it's not a single curriculum.  We've used Institute for Excellence in Writing and Circe Institute for writing; Schola for Great Books; Captive Mind Tutorials for beginning literature; EPGY for math; Japanese Online Institute for Japanese -- and Pennsylvannia Homeschoolers for AP Music (they have a variety of AP Courses). None of these are cheap, but they work well in teaching my children how to learn from someone other than me and (hopefully) take some responsibility for organizing themselves.  The classes take a little less time than what they would in a "regular" school -- since they are (with the exception of the language classes) only once a week.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN