Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you use any online courses??

Posted by   + Show Post

My 2 oldest tried public school this year and have decided that they want to come back home next year. I have two younger children and I work so I am feeling like an online curriculum will be the way to go.

I would love to hear any suggestions you might have. Pro's , Con's, accountability for the kids. How do your kids like it? How much time does it take daily?

Thank you!

Rachel

by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 7:34 AM
Replies (31-35):
letstalk747
by on May. 28, 2014 at 1:00 AM

maybe next school year

JulieBrown
by Helping Hands on May. 29, 2014 at 2:29 AM

I think everything depends on the program.  We have used CurrClick, AoPS and EPGY.  CurrClick was very laid back, we wouldn't get notified if things didn't get done.  AoPS, is great.  There is a lot of accountability and it has been the BEST thing we have done as homeschoolers.  EPGY has great reporting, but it is self paced, so no accountability unless teacher Mom checks the online records.

katshu
by Welcome Squad on Nov. 21, 2014 at 12:47 PM

We use and love Time4Learning. For my 10th grader to take 4 core courses and an elective, it's $35 a month. Far cheaper than some other online alternatives. I don't feel like I need to supplement anything with him, because the courses are thorough and complete. He is adding a foreign language though, because T4L doesn't yet offer one. My 5th grader also uses Time4Learning, and for him, it's $20 a month. I don't supplement much, but we do extra science and history stuff. Not so much that T4L is lacking, but because in those areas, he has a genuine interest and often does extra work/research/experiments on his own. :D

LoriAlane8
by Welcome Squad on Nov. 23, 2014 at 5:46 PM

We used K12 from 2001 until last year when my youngest started college. Both of my children are doing awesome in college due to the rigor of K12. It's not always an easy program but we felt it was well worth it. The time spent depends on the child and depends on the grade. Most get bogged down in thinking they have to do everything in every lesson which is not necessary. Read the objectives of the lesson and do what is necessary for the child. You can spend extra time where needed and move quickly through those things they pick up easily or already know. If you are looking for excellent curriculum which can prepare your child well for college success, I recommend K12!

JulieBrown
by Helping Hands on Dec. 27, 2014 at 3:27 AM

Yes, yes, yes!!!  We use so many great places.  Athena's Advanced Academy, Art of Problem Solving, a Latin school (son dropped class but I like the school), Udemy, CurrClick, Duke TIP, and CTY.  I previously mentioned I used EPGY.  They have changed their site and the cost is so much more, so we aren't continuing that.  It is noe called gifted and talented dot com.

I would say that AoPS has changed our lives.  My son went from not enjoying math to thriving in a very fantastic math school.  This place rocks.  Most of the teachers he has had have PhDs from top schools like Princeton, Yale and MIT. 

One thing I love about online schools is that many times you don't have to disclose age.  This is nice because by kids tend to be on the younger side.  My son was in Algebra 2 when he was 11 and was doing great.  One thing I love about this school is that you can drop a class before the third class and get all money back.  Another thing I love is the fantastic free videos they have.  http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/Videos/index.php  These videos are a small part of the class, but in my opinion signing up for the courses are worth it.  http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/School/classlist.php

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN