Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question about taking kids out of PS...

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 8:18 PM
  • 10 Replies
  • 420 Total Views
I have a question about taking my girls out of PS. According to TX laws, if I wait until school is out and let the school year end, then start homeschooling when school starts, do I still need to submit a letter of intent to the district? I feel like if I take them out before school starts I will need that letter of intent... But I don't know for sure. I haven't found any definite information on that part. Would be nice if I could just take them out and not worry about that part... Lol.
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 8:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Wantn1more
by Welcome Squad on Apr. 25, 2013 at 8:25 PM
I realize this came from an indiana site... But the info is still the same. The letter wasn't aa big deal.

2. How do I withdraw my child from a public school?

Since every family's situation is different, you first may want to obtain legal advice. (i.e. Go to above HSLDA link.) Note: These suggestions do not constitute the giving of legal advice.

* Send a letter to the principal of the public school your child is currently attending.
* Include your name, address, and the names of the children who are going to be homeschooled.

Some things to include in the letter would be the date of the withdrawal and to ask the school to send their records to you. You could also reference the state legislation which makes homeschooling legal by saying that the private school in your home meets the requirements mandated by the Court of Appeals in the Peterman case (State v. Peterman, 70 N.E.2d 50 (1904)) and that you will keep attendance records and meet for the same number of days that the public schools are in session.
-taken from the IAHE 2004 Convention Program & written by Scott A. Woodruff from HSLDA

Also know that technically you are transferring your child from a public school to a private school- your home! This is the more correct terminology under the law, and when corresponding with officials, it may be prudent to use the word "transfer" rather than "withdraw." Sometimes individual schools or school districts have student withdrawal forms. This should be considered an additional step to the ones listed above.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LadeeBellaDonna
by Welcome Squad on Apr. 25, 2013 at 8:31 PM
1 mom liked this
I may want to do the letter anyway just so I can get their records huh? I forgot about that!
Wantn1more
by Welcome Squad on Apr. 25, 2013 at 9:53 PM
I just did this two weeks ago... They emailed me her records and it was no big deal at all.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
imadekyle
by Welcome Squad on Apr. 25, 2013 at 10:47 PM

When I pulled my son out of ps mid-year I wrote them a letter, and asked for his school records. It was all very easy;)

LadeeBellaDonna
by Welcome Squad on Apr. 26, 2013 at 8:52 AM

Thank you ladies! I intend to let my girls finish out the rest of the year... I still have alot of planning to do anyway so I was going to take the time over the summer to square that away.

Should I send the letters before school is out and just state the last day of school as the day I'm taking them out?

momtoBrenna
by Helping Hands on Apr. 26, 2013 at 9:46 AM

If you are in Texas, all you have to do is pull them and verbally tell the school that you will be homeschooling them. There is no letter of intent, testing or checking in required in Texas. It is the easiest state to homeschool in.

bren_darlene
by Hall Monitor Bren on Apr. 26, 2013 at 9:49 AM

I pulled my kids out of school in TX.  I just walked in and told them I was pulling them out to home educate and that I wanted their records.  They handed them over.  You do NOT have to do a letter of intent or any foolishness in TX.  I did my first 12 yrs of home educating in TX.  Great homeschool state.

LadeeBellaDonna
by Welcome Squad on Apr. 26, 2013 at 11:24 AM

Really?! That's great to hear! I've been concerned about how well TX works with HSers. The principal at my youngest girls school is intimidating So I guess on the last day of school I'll go in there and request their records.

I've been reading on these legal sites (even for TX) and they make everything sound so complicated! One site said I had to send a letter, then after they contacted me I had to send a letter of intent. All I want to do is let them know so we can have our summer and then start homeschooling the beginning of the school year.

I remember when I was in 6th grade my parents pulled me out and didn't tell the school. The next year, for 7th grade, when I didn't show up, the principal called my dad asking why I wasn't in school... my dad told him he didn't like how things went the year before and that he put me in a private school. No details or anything! The principal then said "Good for you sir! Have a wonderful day." And he hung up and never heard anymore from them.

Thank ya'll so much for the info!!!

EmmasMummy11
by Welcome Squad on May. 27, 2013 at 1:41 AM

Yep. My daughter is finishing up her last year in PS and then I'm homeschooling her. I just called them recently and told them I would be homeschooling and they pretty much said "Okay." LOL! 

Quoting LadeeBellaDonna:

Really?! That's great to hear! I've been concerned about how well TX works with HSers. The principal at my youngest girls school is intimidating So I guess on the last day of school I'll go in there and request their records.

I've been reading on these legal sites (even for TX) and they make everything sound so complicated! One site said I had to send a letter, then after they contacted me I had to send a letter of intent. All I want to do is let them know so we can have our summer and then start homeschooling the beginning of the school year.

I remember when I was in 6th grade my parents pulled me out and didn't tell the school. The next year, for 7th grade, when I didn't show up, the principal called my dad asking why I wasn't in school... my dad told him he didn't like how things went the year before and that he put me in a private school. No details or anything! The principal then said "Good for you sir! Have a wonderful day." And he hung up and never heard anymore from them.

Thank ya'll so much for the info!!!

lovingmylife6
by Testing the waters on May. 29, 2013 at 10:08 AM

What about Wisconsin?  Is anyone from here with advice?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)