Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What programs are good to use to home school?

Posted by   + Show Post
We have decided to take our son out of middle school and home school him next year. What are some good programs to use for teaching that are free or that cost money to use?
by on May. 1, 2013 at 9:57 AM
Replies (11-17):
NYCitymomx3
by Welcome Squad on May. 6, 2013 at 9:07 AM

There are soooo many programs and resources for homeschooling.  The only way to know what will work is to keep trying new things.  The first thing you want to do is decide what method you'd like to use.  You can homeschool in many ways, such as Classical, Charlotte Mason, Unschooling, Unit Studies, School-At-Home, Eclectic, or an online virtual school.  Then you choose your books and programs.  

I was an unschooler for a long time, using some Charlotte Mason activities that the kids loved.  Then we moved onto full Charlotte Mason using the Ambleside Online curriculum, which focuses on classic literature, art, and nature.  Now we're just relaxed, eclectic and use what we love using.  We also go on tons of field trips, watch lots of documentaries, and go to many homeschool group classes.

My son is in 6th grade now.  Here's what we use now and what we have planned for 7th grade.  I spend around $300-$400 per year on books & supplies:

6th grade:

Math:  Saxon math 7/6

Literature:  Read & Understand Poetry 

Grammar:  Hake Grammar & Writing 6

Writing:  Wordsmith Apprentice

Spelling:  Sequential Spelling 1 (ds is dyslexic and this helps tremendously)

Vocabulary:  Wordly Wise 6

History:  K12 Human Odyssey 1

Science:  Apologia General Science

Spanish:  Getting Started with Spanish

7th Grade

Math:  Art of Problem Solving PreAlgebra

Literature:  Lightning Lit 7

Grammar:  Killgallon Story Grammar

Writing:  Killgallon Sentence Composing

Spelling:  Sequential Spelling 2

Vocabulary:  Wordly Wise 7 

History:  K12 Human Odyssey 1 & 2

Science:  Apologia General Science (continued)

lifesadream83
by on May. 6, 2013 at 10:04 AM

If you have the $ to shell out Moving Beyond the Page is secular and well put together. That and a Math program like Math U See could work well for your first year

lifesadream83
by on May. 6, 2013 at 10:11 AM

If you are going for affordable check out this page:http://allinonehomeschool.com/how-to-use-this-curriculum/

Polemomma2010
by Testing the waters on May. 6, 2013 at 2:13 PM

Thank you for all the help and information.  I will start looking into all the information you ladies gave me.

doriselm
by Welcome Squad on May. 9, 2013 at 3:31 PM

My daughter will be taking three classes of FLVS this year, 10th grade and she starts on Monday. The other subjects will still be taught by me, actually she self-teaches and I check on progress and do the testing and of course what I need to do to keep her on track. For the other classes I use Jensen's English/spelling, Saxon math along with FLVS algebra Saxon will compliment the algebra it'll explain it if she has a problem, college books for Criminal Justice, Home Economics Catholic Heritage. I really like Catholic Heritage, use it for my third grader, but this year chose ABeka math and will see if it is better for her. She grew up on ABeka since she went to their school here, so did my older one, great school and great curriculum. I am hoping the FLVS will not be too stressful, wait and see for us. She already started 10th grade except the virtual classes which start Monday. Looking forward to it.

Quoting leighp1:

I think for my dd we are going to do a mixture of FLVS (florida virtual school) and homemade curriculum.  FLVS has a lot of great subjects and for the things I decide to teach her, I get to pick what I feel is important. 

It is extremely hard to find curriculums that are free for middle school.  I have been looking for two days for a good history curriculum and they just don't seem to be out there, or I can't find them.  If I come across anything I will keep you in mind.

simmons4africa
by on May. 10, 2013 at 10:34 AM
1 mom liked this

I have not used the free curriculums. Others have used them successfully and like them. For me, the materials are writtten in an older style and with little to make them appealing or fun. Since we are in a foreign country, libraries are not a good resource as they are here. I like Sonlight. All the books and materials are included and they are GREAT books. Sonlight's core curriculum includes language arts, reading and history. You can also order science, math, music and art.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)