Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does anyone homeschool high school age kids?

Posted by on May. 3, 2013 at 7:26 AM
  • 25 Replies
  • 856 Total Views
1 mom liked this

How does that work?  Do you have tutors?  I am seriously thinking about it with my dd because of her troubles in public schools.  She went to private up until 8th grade.  How does it work with high school age?

by on May. 3, 2013 at 7:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
WantedNameTaken
by Welcome Squad on May. 3, 2013 at 8:08 AM
1 mom liked this

I homeschool a high-schooler, but we don't use tutors.  What kind of trouble is your DD having in school?  What grade is she in now?

Jinx-Troublex3
by Helping Hands on May. 3, 2013 at 11:07 AM
I have a high schooler but we use a Homeschool charter.

Most classes are done at home but if there is something I don't think I can teach, I send him to that class at a learning center. This year he did Literature and a "running a small business" class. I thought he should do biology at the LC but when he heard they were doing dissections he opted out. Haha!
Bleacheddecay
by Leader on May. 3, 2013 at 2:23 PM

I'm owner of a group that I inherited from someone else called HOMESCHOOLING OUR TEENS TOGETHER. It's not well trafficked. Both of mine have graduated with scholarships to college, one academic, and one athletic.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/13310

Here are my best tips.

1. Look up your state laws. Make sure you are in compliance. I like this site rather than HSLDA

http://homeschooling.gomilpitas.com/directory/Legalities.htm

2. Decide what your mutual goals for the future of your student are, high school degree, GED, college and so on.

3. Find out your teen's best learning styles. I'd use POC4U to aide this.

http://www.edudps.com/poc4u.html

4. Research ways to do an education along with your teen. I recommend The Teenage Liberation Handbook.

5. Pick out curriculum (if any)  WITH your teen. I do not recommend buying a full curriculum the first year. It tends to lead to frustration and a waste of money.

6. Be flexible, expect change.

7. Locate local groups and resources.

8. Don't forget to make it fun, relax now and then, just enjoy each other.

9. Be sure to keep your student in touch with any friends they really want to spend time with and which you do not feel are a really bad influence.

And finally, relax, relax, relax. The very best thing you can do is de-school. Let your students find what their are passions and pursue them.

I have one that has won a four year academic scholarship and one that has won a renewable athletic scholarship. That's only my student athlete's first college visit and offer. There are more offers to come.

Stressing over making your child learn or doing what the public or private schools are doing or doing enough won't help you or them. I wish someone had told me that when I began and that I could have wrapped my head around it and believed it.

Love them. Like them. Trust them. Support their dreams even when you don't like or understand what they are. This is the best gift you can give anyone. It's also a gift that will allow them to do things that will impress you over the years.

BD

MentorMom1
by on May. 3, 2013 at 4:51 PM

No matter what curriculum you choose, my recommendation is that you read her books, too. Teachers at school would know the material, so I always discussed my daughter's content with them. It helps a kid to know someone takes an interest in what they're learning.

Except for when they got in to Algebra II and Chemistry. Then we hired tutors. I don't recommend online programs, or letting the kids sit at the computer most of the time. I encouraged independent reading instead of TV. (One homeschooling mom I know has her kids "work" for TV time.) We had no TV during the week, only movies on weekends. 

I homeschooled two daughters through HS. They were really social teens and wanted to be involved. One did volunteer jobs for career exploration, like working in a wild animal rehab. center. She went  through senior GIrl Scouts, did home school band, and was in Civil Air Patrol from 7th grade through 12th, which offered amazing opportunities. She also had a part-time job modeling from 16-18. She took Toast Masters for teens through a home school group and learned public speaking. And she was in a community theater play. The younger one did volunteer work, went through Junior Girl Scouts, and was a serious ballet student, which she did every day after school. I recommend keeping up old friendships, if they are positive. 

In addition, make or find a form for keeping track of her activities. She can do this herself, maybe take an hour or two once a week to do her records. She should log  all the books she reads, the authors' names, and a line about  the content. Get a reading list from the school or library or on-line. You can read the same book (get another one for yourself) so you can discuss it with her. 

If her curriculum doesn't require it, you can assign her book reports. I had my daughters write one about every three to four weeks. If you need an excellent grammar and comp. program for language arts, try A Beka Grammar and Composition. The books have easy to understand instruction for doing book reports and research. And their grammar is the best I have come across. You can supplement her Language Arts  with vocabulary/spelling and literature (reading). The book reports are great for composition. 

Copy the covers and tables of contents of all her text books. Staple them together and put them in a "Scope and Sequence" file in a filing cabinet. (She will need her own two-drawer for homeschool.) I also tested my girls every year.  And they recorded all their activities and made resumes.  Their universities  wanted all of those records. This was the best way for me to provide it to them. Both were accepted at the colleges where they applied.  

And in case your DD wants to go back to high school, you may need to prove that she has been taking challenging coursework. I tested my daughters every year with an achievement test. I think the Iowa. And I had their scope and sequences all organized to show the high school counselor. They younger one went to school for her senior year. She wanted to go to homecoming and prom. And the counselor looked at her records and let her take anything she wanted that was open to her. She even signed up for trig and statistics. Other homeschoolers that transferred in, the counselor said, were not  ready for hard courses. By homeschooling as though it were school, instead of unschooling (I know - it's an option!) my daughters were confident that they were prepared for college. They didn't drop out and finished in four years. 

littlelamb303
by Testing the waters on May. 4, 2013 at 7:16 PM

TY for your advice.  I am going to look into it.  She is in 10th grade.  Our public school is really a rough school, with a lot of troubled kids and problems. etc.  she has a lot of anxiety.  Her grades are ok, but she could be doing a lot better.  She is just always so miserable.

DyslexiaParent
by Welcome Squad on May. 4, 2013 at 7:27 PM

I've homeschooled mine throughout high school.  I think it makes a difference as to whether you've homeschooled in the grades leading up to high school or whether you are starting with high school.  With homeschooling from elementary, through middle, and into high school, my guys were pretty well 'trained' (for lack of a better word) in regard to how to approach their school work, in independently completing their studies, and both achieved very well through high school. 

I've known several families that started homeschooling in 8th grade or actually during high school.  The biggest difference I tend to see is that the students who have been in public school for most or all of their educational years, and who are struggling in that environment, have a difficult time working independently, so you would have to be actively involved.  You mention "troubles in public school," but don't say whether those troubles are academic, social, or behavioral.  Whatever the trouble is, it will be a factor that you will need to figure out how to work with, like catching up if it is academic, positive behavior management if it is behavioral, or finding good social groups if it is social.

As far as academic specifics go, we always did our subjects at home with the exception of two subjects I did not feel adequately qualified to act as a learning coach for my boys--Chemistry and Physics.  For both of those subjects, my boys took classes offered by qualified teachers who taught in their homes.  For the Physics, we used an online program with a real teacher behind it, and that worked well for us.  In their junior and senior years of high school my boys took joint enrollment courses through online college opportunities with Marshall University's OCCHS program and Georgia Perimeter College.  My guys graduated from high school and finished / will finish the freshman year of college simultaneously. 

In short, high school homeschooling can be done in any way that works for you and your DD!  Some people do everything at home, others do everything through a co-op, but most do a combination. 

Hope that helps!

SandyKC
M.S. Instructional Design, Homeschooling Mom of "Light of My Life" Boys,
Author, Individualized Instruction Design Consultant

TSmama24
by Testing the waters on May. 5, 2013 at 8:40 AM

I've homeschooled our children all the way through graduation. Our youngest is a homeschooled junior now. Here is some good information if you are just in "thinking about it" mode: http://letshomeschoolhighschool.com/blog/2013/02/24/absolute-beginners-guide-homeschooling-high-school/

SusanTheWriter
by Welcome Squad on May. 5, 2013 at 9:49 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm homeschooling my high school age daughter right now. We pulled her out partway through 9th grade.

We're eclectic homeschoolers, so I pull from a variety of resources. We use a specific curriculum for Alg 2, I put together History and Lang Arts from different sources as those two areas are my strengths, and I outsourced Chemistry to a mom who teaches high school science to homeschoolers in her home, which is equipped with lab materials in the basement. She does Choir and Drama and Art through our co-op as well as various community classes.

Next year, she'll take science courses at the local community college, and there may be an opportunity for an advanced (trig/pre-calc) math class for homeschoolers, but we'll see. We can do math at home, either way.

LoriAlane8
by Welcome Squad on May. 7, 2013 at 12:28 AM
My 2 children are in California Virtual Academy which is a public school but done at home. They have the benefits of teachers and personal help they need but none of the pressures or drama of b&m school. We love it because of the curriculum they use...K12...
Brandysmom1107
by Welcome Squad on May. 7, 2013 at 8:40 AM

I homeschool my 15 year old. Feel free to message me

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)