Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Asking to be taken out of PS now...

Posted by on May. 6, 2013 at 10:11 AM
  • 18 Replies
  • 473 Total Views

Alright... I have a dilemma. My girls are now asking to be taken out of school today. There's only like 4 weeks left but I'm really considering it (for many reasons). What should I do? 

I appreciate yall's help!!

by on May. 6, 2013 at 10:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wendythewriter
by Helping Hands on May. 6, 2013 at 10:40 AM
1 mom liked this

I pulled my kids midyear. I saw no reason to continue a subpar education just to "finish out" a school year. The only reason I might have continued to the end of the year would have been if they really wanted to stay to be with friends - and since your kids are asking to be removed, it sounds like that's not even a reason. 

Why not do it?

Wendy Miller
Single mom of 2 boys
Author of Tangled Deceit (July 2012),  The Secrets He Kept (December 2012), and Ripped Away, (April 2013)!
Learn more about her on GoodReads

tuffymama
by Helping Hands on May. 6, 2013 at 10:42 AM
Unless they are being physically hit by other students or bullied by faculty, I'd leave them in PS for the year, if for no other reason than to get your own homeschooling house in order, so to speak. Also, toughing it out for the remaining few weeks won't kill them if they are in a normal schooling situation. I don't know what the laws are where you live, but pulling them out so abruptly when there are only FOUR WEEKS left might cast some suspicion and put unwanted focus on you.
Bleacheddecay
by Leader on May. 6, 2013 at 12:52 PM

I pulled mine with six weeks left. They really don't do much those last weeks. It will be a good time to take them out and let them deschool for a while!

LadeeBellaDonna
by Welcome Squad on May. 6, 2013 at 2:58 PM
I'm in Texas so I don't know how it would go. I'm nervous.
WritingMom777
by on May. 7, 2013 at 5:03 PM

I'm in Texas too!  DS would like me to pull him out now but I am going to make him wait.  In his case he is in special education and I don't want any extra scrutiny when I do take him out next year.  Also we JUST had his IEP/ARD meeting so that would look kind of weird.  

DH wants us to just tough it out these last few weeks and then start fresh.  I agree and it will make record keeping a lot easier and I wIll have time to get curriculum together.  Where are you in Texas?

LadeeBellaDonna
by Welcome Squad on May. 7, 2013 at 5:27 PM
I'm in east Texas. That's what my DH said too... So I guess that's what we'll do. He just wants me to let him get the table built.
Knightquester
by Helping Hands on May. 7, 2013 at 5:40 PM

I'd talk to the school and see what possibilities you have.  Let them know how your children feel and why.  Each state has their own laws and requirements so be sure to learn yours before making any big leaps, knee jerk reactions can cause trouble down the road.  Also, see how many days your children have been absent from school and can be be absent in a whole year.  You might be able to reduce their days in PS by taking them out towards the last part of the school year.

Really with 4 weeks left of school I'd probably make my children stick it out unless I felt that making them continue would harm them in some way.

LostTheSlipper
by Guidance on May. 7, 2013 at 11:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Knightquester:

I'd talk to the school and see what possibilities you have.  Let them know how your children feel and why.  Each state has their own laws and requirements so be sure to learn yours before making any big leaps, knee jerk reactions can cause trouble down the road.  Also, see how many days your children have been absent from school and can be be absent in a whole year.  You might be able to reduce their days in PS by taking them out towards the last part of the school year.

Really with 4 weeks left of school I'd probably make my children stick it out unless I felt that making them continue would harm them in some way.

I wouldn't recommend talking to the school about any "possibilities" if homeschooling is involved. They'll for sure make it sound like an inferior choice and try to talk you out of it or make up a bunch of reasons "why" you can't or shouldn't.

LadeeBellaDonna
by Welcome Squad on May. 8, 2013 at 12:13 AM
3 moms liked this
I had a teacher conference today with my DD9's teacher. She was concerned because my DD mentioned to her that she was gonna be HSed. I told her yes I actually am going to homeschool them next year and that we're all looking forward to it and we think its gonna be a lot of fun. She seemed a little reserved about the idea, but she also admitted it was because she only really knows how to teach one grade and that she couldn't imagine teaching 3 different grade levels (not in a bad way, kinda like an admiring way). She also shared the name of a family that she knows that successfully homeschools (ironically we know them too but didnt know they homeschooled) and said she was sure they wouldn't mind sharing tips. She did ask of there was something wrong that made me choose that or if it was just something in my heart... So I explained. She understood and was really cool about it although she did say she hated seeing the girls leave the public school system... But she also said that she knows they'll do great. It felt good to hear acceptance from a teacher! She is one of the handful of ladies that I call -good- teachers... And they truly are... Not enough of them left anymore. My oldest DD has told everybody at her school... She is super excited! So yeah... The school knows. I just haven't given my notice yet.
KickButtMama
by G.O. Shannon on May. 8, 2013 at 12:43 AM

I'd just take them out. If there are only 4 weeks left, then what exact benefit would they get for struggling through it ? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)