Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Asking to be taken out of PS now...

Alright... I have a dilemma. My girls are now asking to be taken out of school today. There's only like 4 weeks left but I'm really considering it (for many reasons). What should I do? 

I appreciate yall's help!!

by on May. 6, 2013 at 10:11 AM
Replies (11-18):
KickButtMama
by G.O. Shannon on May. 8, 2013 at 12:51 AM
1 mom liked this

Texas is super supportive of homeschoolers, so that's a positive. You have no minimum number of school days and no filing requirements. So you could just pull them and send the principal a withdrawal letter. You don't even have to state you plan to HS in he fall, just that you are withdrawing the kids - like those who move need to withdraw. 

Honestly, I'd say talk w/ the kids about their desire - what reason do they have for wanting to be pulled right now. If its just that they are bored or whatever then you can work with it, like maybe doing some extra projects in the evening. But if they are miserable emotionally, then I (personally) would pull them so they have a chance to decompress and prepare to HS. Maybe even giving them some independant projects to work on for those last few weeks of the year. 

Here are some to resources:

http://thsc.org/homeschooling-in-texas/

http://hwww.nthen.org/

Quoting LadeeBellaDonna:

I'm in Texas so I don't know how it would go. I'm nervous.

Need a great Latin Curriculum for grades K-7? Check out LATIN FRUCTUS!

Home Educators Toolbox / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks

Albert Einstein --
"It is, in fact nothing short a miracle that modern methods of instruction have not yet entirely strangled the holy curiosity of inquiry; for this delicate little plant, aside from stimulation, stands mainly in need of freedom."
"Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid."

Knightquester
by Helping Hands on May. 8, 2013 at 1:28 AM

Actually, it was because of public school that I discovered homeschooling laws and options in my state.  I wasn't really looking into homeschooling my children at the time, we ended up starting it through circumstances in our life that led us here, and stuck with it because the children prefer it over public school.

Back on the issue, my suggestion was based on what I would do.  I am the type of person to filter what information that is given to me, not run off of emotion or let others sway my idea's or choices.  I do make informed decisions, and I always have reasons for the choices I make.  I am also the type to gather information from all sides to gain a better understanding of where I stand and what options I have.

Quoting LostTheSlipper:

Quoting Knightquester:

I'd talk to the school and see what possibilities you have.  Let them know how your children feel and why.  Each state has their own laws and requirements so be sure to learn yours before making any big leaps, knee jerk reactions can cause trouble down the road.  Also, see how many days your children have been absent from school and can be be absent in a whole year.  You might be able to reduce their days in PS by taking them out towards the last part of the school year.

Really with 4 weeks left of school I'd probably make my children stick it out unless I felt that making them continue would harm them in some way.

I wouldn't recommend talking to the school about any "possibilities" if homeschooling is involved. They'll for sure make it sound like an inferior choice and try to talk you out of it or make up a bunch of reasons "why" you can't or shouldn't.

Knightquester
by Helping Hands on May. 8, 2013 at 1:32 AM

That is really great to hear you had such an awesome meeting.  When we pulled the kids out of public school my chidlrens teachers pretty much said that they think we'll do a great job and gave us such a positive farewell too.  It's nice to feel that as you make such a huge life decision that can sometimes feel overwhelming.  It sounds like you guys will do just fine :-)

Quoting LadeeBellaDonna:

I had a teacher conference today with my DD9's teacher. She was concerned because my DD mentioned to her that she was gonna be HSed. I told her yes I actually am going to homeschool them next year and that we're all looking forward to it and we think its gonna be a lot of fun. She seemed a little reserved about the idea, but she also admitted it was because she only really knows how to teach one grade and that she couldn't imagine teaching 3 different grade levels (not in a bad way, kinda like an admiring way). She also shared the name of a family that she knows that successfully homeschools (ironically we know them too but didnt know they homeschooled) and said she was sure they wouldn't mind sharing tips. She did ask of there was something wrong that made me choose that or if it was just something in my heart... So I explained. She understood and was really cool about it although she did say she hated seeing the girls leave the public school system... But she also said that she knows they'll do great. It felt good to hear acceptance from a teacher! She is one of the handful of ladies that I call -good- teachers... And they truly are... Not enough of them left anymore. My oldest DD has told everybody at her school... She is super excited! So yeah... The school knows. I just haven't given my notice yet.

KickButtMama
by G.O. Shannon on May. 8, 2013 at 11:43 PM

That's so cool that they were supportive! I know HS is becoming so much more mainstream that many parents can get great advice on alternatives to ps through the ps employees...lout I know there are many who still distrust the system enough to not want to have them involved in any of the decision making. 

So I doubly like how you mentioned filtering information. This is something missed out by a lot of potential HSers. So many seek the advice of others, even perfect strangers, and rather than that advice being a small piece of the decision making puzzle, it becomes the pivotal deciding factor... Smh 

Quoting Knightquester:

Actually, it was because of public school that I discovered homeschooling laws and options in my state.  I wasn't really looking into homeschooling my children at the time, we ended up starting it through circumstances in our life that led us here, and stuck with it because the children prefer it over public school.

Back on the issue, my suggestion was based on what I would do.  I am the type of person to filter what information that is given to me, not run off of emotion or let others sway my idea's or choices.  I do make informed decisions, and I always have reasons for the choices I make.  I am also the type to gather information from all sides to gain a better understanding of where I stand and what options I have.

Quoting LostTheSlipper:

Quoting Knightquester:

I'd talk to the school and see what possibilities you have.  Let them know how your children feel and why.  Each state has their own laws and requirements so be sure to learn yours before making any big leaps, knee jerk reactions can cause trouble down the road.  Also, see how many days your children have been absent from school and can be be absent in a whole year.  You might be able to reduce their days in PS by taking them out towards the last part of the school year.

Really with 4 weeks left of school I'd probably make my children stick it out unless I felt that making them continue would harm them in some way.

I wouldn't recommend talking to the school about any "possibilities" if homeschooling is involved. They'll for sure make it sound like an inferior choice and try to talk you out of it or make up a bunch of reasons "why" you can't or shouldn't.

LadeeBellaDonna
by Welcome Squad on May. 9, 2013 at 10:11 AM

I agree... I like looking at all options and knowing as much as I can before I jump to any -final- decision (of course unless it's something I can't help) that's the whole reason I'm doing so much research on HSing in the first place. Although they were suportive... they still seemed reserved. So even though they may not argue the HSing idea, they most likely won't be of any help either. So I just will do what I need to do and leave it at that.

doriselm
by Welcome Squad on May. 9, 2013 at 3:21 PM

After they take state tests they are usually done in school, they just rehash and do things that are supposed to be fun. They also catch some kids up who need it. But they are usually not really teaching anymore. Only thing that I wouldn't know about is getting a report card for that year. I took mine out two months before the year ended last year and she didn't get her report card, even though she finished the state tests, and that was for eight grade. Just my opinion, the last few weeks are just time going by to fulfill the 180 days of schooling required. I agree with some who suggested to stick with the program and see the school year through, but on the other hand I think once they have it in their heads that they will not return, much learning isn't done anyway, so why waste that time. My daughter just couldn't stand staying in school one more day, she was being bullied, so she learned much better at home to finish her year, but she didn't get the report card from the school either, but didn't bother her one bit.

Quoting KickButtMama:

I'd just take them out. If there are only 4 weeks left, then what exact benefit would they get for struggling through it ? 

RockEducation
by on May. 9, 2013 at 4:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

I pulled mine with six weeks left. They really don't do much those last weeks. It will be a good time to take them out and let them deschool for a while!

Exactly

motheroffour186
by Helping Hands on May. 15, 2013 at 8:54 PM

I pulled mine out in the middle of the year. Are you ready if your girls get out today do you have something for them to work on as school work?

homeschooloasis.com/art...taking_your_child_out_of_sch.htm

www.ehow.com/how_6158497_pull-public-school-start-home...

www.icademy.com/Home_School

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN