Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Early Home school preparation?

Posted by on May. 14, 2013 at 10:57 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 316 Total Views

Hi everyone,

I'm fairly new to this group.  I know that I still have some time since my son is 17 months old but my husband and I are already seriously considering homeschooling.  I already consider myself to be homeschooling my toddler since he watches and learns from everything we do.  But is there anything we should be doing to prepare at the moment or is it too early? Thanks so much! :-)

by on May. 14, 2013 at 10:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
celticdragon77
by on May. 14, 2013 at 11:51 PM
3 moms liked this

Read! read books about education, learning styles, teaching methods, child development, etc.

Save links! Look around online at blogs and such to get inspiring ideas. Explore all the educational websites. 

Montessori! I am a firm believer in this method, especially in the earlier years. There are a lot of videos and websites of mamas using this method at home and making the activities for cheap. 

Read! To your child!!! The more words a child hears, the better off they will be with reading. 

Nursery Rhymes! Research proves that it helps kids subconsciously be more sensitive to letter sounds - which helps them with decoding skills for reading. 

Play and create!  

Social Activities with other kids! 

Be a mamas helper! 

motheroffour186
by Helping Hands on May. 15, 2013 at 7:27 AM
1 mom liked this

read books talking with him we did Leapfrog movies

http://www.havefunlearning.com/

Quoting celticdragon77:

Read! read books about education, learning styles, teaching methods, child development, etc.

Save links! Look around online at blogs and such to get inspiring ideas. Explore all the educational websites. 

Montessori! I am a firm believer in this method, especially in the earlier years. There are a lot of videos and websites of mamas using this method at home and making the activities for cheap. 

Read! To your child!!! The more words a child hears, the better off they will be with reading. 

Nursery Rhymes! Research proves that it helps kids subconsciously be more sensitive to letter sounds - which helps them with decoding skills for reading. 

Play and create!  

Social Activities with other kids! 

Be a mamas helper! 

tennisgal
by Helping Hands on May. 15, 2013 at 11:44 PM
2 moms liked this

lots of good books. read! read! read!

also actively engage your child and let them explore around them. 

I'm also a big fan of starting to instill good habits around 18-ish months: straightening bed things (pillows, stuffed animals), dirty clothes in the hamper, putting their dishes in a cabinet (my kids' cabinet is under the bar...so it's just their height) and practicing sitting quietly and patiently for short spurts. 

It's hard for me to remember this age precisely when you don't have a toddler running around, lol. 

Lali812
by Testing the waters on May. 24, 2013 at 10:10 AM

Thank you all so much for the advice.  This is a good start.  My son loves books! :-)

mtwildflower
by Testing the waters on May. 24, 2013 at 12:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Incorporate learning into your play, so that learning and teaching is part of your lifestyle.

Read a lot. Aloud, silently, humorously and seriously, day and night...

Let your child participate in wiping up spills, making sandwiches, and making the bed (opportunities for you to practice giving instructions and for him to practice following them).

Always practice good grammar.

Let your son see you enjoying things like reading, painting, drawing, counting, etc., and provide him with the tools to explore and discover what he may enjoy. Instead of buying a kit to build a robot, build one out of cardboard boxes and paper towel tubes. Inspire imagination.

Notice things, point out details, discuss what you see, make predictions, measure results, etc. Basically, open his eyes to all the cool things there are to see and do and learn...help him love discovering and learning and exploring. 

I believe that these things all helped make homeschooling easier for us because it was just our way of being. 

ASloane0314
by Testing the waters on May. 24, 2013 at 5:11 PM
1 mom liked this

I think that it's excellent that you've begun teaching your child--but we all have been homeschooling our children since the beginning.  What I mean by that is as long as you are showing your child how to do something, then you are "teaching" your child how something is done.  Mothers and Fathers are our children's first teachers.  They rely on us to show them the way around the world so take the reins and continue by doing what you're doing by reading, math, science, social studies, geography, etc...you get the picture.  Just be yourself and let him know that learning isn't separate from living and you will have a child that is a life long learner like my 5 little monkeys!! LOL!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)