Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What is EVERYONE'S curriculum's?

Posted by on May. 17, 2013 at 10:37 PM
  • 55 Replies
  • 2622 Total Views
2 moms liked this

I am curious, what is EVERYONE'S curriculum for EACH subject? I wanted be able to go to one post with everyone's curriculum's.

by on May. 17, 2013 at 10:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shoeshoegirl12
by Welcome Squad on May. 17, 2013 at 10:52 PM

We are using:
Science:  Apologia, the magic school bus chapter books.

Social Studies: Still looking for a good Roman Catholic/Christen one, however we do use the magic tree house.

Math: Life with Fred

Spelling- reading: Phonics games I come up with. When I learned the rules I kept my curriculum. It is more for older children/ adults. It's called Mu lit Sensory Spelling/ reading. Also, we use fun Root words from Latin and Greek.

Grammar: still looking

Typing: Touch typing

Spanish: Reading 2000 Spanish Phonics 

NYCitymomx3
by Welcome Squad on May. 18, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Here's what we used this year for 6th grade:

SIXTH GRADE

• Read & Understand Poetry Gr 6+
  • Sequential Spelling 1
  • Wordly Wise 6
  • Hake Grammar 6
  • Wordsmith Apprentice
  • Saxon Math 76
  • K12 Human Odyssey 1
  • Apologia General Science

And to round out ds's curriculum there is also basketball, parkour, theater class, CCD, scouts, several online technology courses, documentaries, and a ton of homeschool group classes and field trips.  

Ecoseem
by Welcome Squad on May. 18, 2013 at 10:05 AM

We have a set of My Father's World Kindergarten, but ds is past most of it from his charter schooling, and we'll probably get that again for next year to satisfy his dad's side.  We're unschoolers at home, he learns so much better when I just let him loose to do his own thing, so we save any kind of awful curriculum stuff for dad's house.

That said, I do like the My Father's World set, we just don't roll that way.

bren_darlene
by Hall Monitor Bren on May. 18, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Math:  ABeka
English: ABeka and EZ English
Logic: Critical Thinking
History: Streams of Civilization I and II for older kids, Kingfisher for younger
Literature studies:  Do a couple study guides on great books each yr plus read many, many books!
Spelling: Rod and Staff and ABeka
Vocabulary: ABeka and Vocabulary for the High School Student
Science:  ABeka plus Self Teaching Guides for Astronomy, Chemistry and Physics (in  high school)
Greek and Latin Root Studies:  Critical Thinking
Visual Arts:  Fix up on studies
Shakespeare Study: Make up own (high school)
Geography:  ABeka and make up own
Foreign Language:  Do some Sign Language
American Government: (high school)  ABeka and  God and Government series
JadeTigr7
by Welcome Squad on May. 18, 2013 at 11:01 AM
I use abeka for Phonics/language arts, writing, and arithmetic. All about spelling for spelling and My Fathers World for Bible, science, history, art, and music.
Bleacheddecay
by Leader on May. 18, 2013 at 1:52 PM
1 mom liked this

I highly recommend these resources to find the best things for your students and thinking outside the box. 

POC4U

http://www.edudps.com/poc4u.html

And The Teenage Liberation Handbook

These are some of our resources though I may not be remembering them all.

Both Students:

Literature: Movies As Literature, (I have ONE student who hates to read or write so, we used movies quite often for him.)  Wordsmith and Wordsmith Craftsman, Write With the Best volumes 1& 2, Various books to read, Let Authors Speak, Learning With the Movies, (both of which are also good for historical time period studies) Web sites and Writing projects. The Gold Book - British Literature we sometimes watched movies or just read some of the novels rather than the whole thing for my reluctant reader. I added in Beowulf and The Canterbury Tales.

Each student must read two books on or above their level each year. Required titles were The Diary of Adam and Eve by Mark Twain and Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes. Highly recommended were, Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card, The Freedom Writers and The Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb.

Other resources:

Language Expression / Language mechanics grammar

http://www.hsadvisor.com/bookstore/10th-grade/language-arts/grammar/

Senior research paper must be done by end of first semester of the senior year, below is a site I used to give my, "I need guidelines and rules" student some structure.

http://www.valleyviewhigh.org/students/senior_project.jsp

Science: Science complete CD, Alchemy Program, Schaum's Outline Series Theory and problems of Physical Science, Physics, Chemistry, Earth Science and Astronomy, various library books, web sites, projects and labs at local science museum.

Math: Math U See, web sites, and other resources. My students insisted on Math U See when we found it. I'm not completely happy with it though. I'd consider Singapore or maybe Teaching Textbooks.

Life skills these vary.  Generally my husband and I teach them things as we think of them. Sometimes we get someone else to do so as well.  We also have a book, Life Skills for Kids that we use.

Arts: It varies a lot from museum visits, to concerts, from painting to learning guitar and piano but we do this ourselves using library books, our own talent, web sites and local resources.

P.E. Gym, Walking and Biking, 1st student Jujitsu every other day, 2nd student tennis every other day, if not daily. (Not required by law but by parent.) Each student has competed in and won tournaments in their sports. Sports they choose and are very passionate about.

American History 1. Clep Prep Book:

Econ: The Great Economic Mysteries Book: A Guide to Teaching Economic Reasoning, Grades 4-8, Freakanomics book and web site, daily discussions about Economic issues in current events, as well as life long lessons from parents. Tried Penny Candy but the students hated it.

American Government Movies as found online in a syllabus for a college course.

The Weather Underground

Questions:  To what degree (if at all) did members of the weather underground resemble participants in the American Revolution?  What factors account for the revolutionary activity of the weather underground?  What factors explain the failure of the weather underground?

George Wallace and Malcolm X
 Explain how the theme of redemption in both politics and one's personal life lies at the heart of either movie.  Do you find this theme a satisfactory one for capturing the significance of either Wallace or X to American political life?

All the President's Men
According to the movie did the traditional checks and balances of the Constitution work during the Nixon Administration?  What alternative does the movie offer to these traditional checks and balances?  What are the problems with this alternative?

The War Room
Compare the roles that Carville and Stephanopoulos played in the Clinton campaign.  What role is left for political parties in the face of such campaigns?

The Last Hurrah, All the King's Men
What are the strengths and weaknesses of the two styles of campaigning depicted in the Last Hurrah?  Which is more democratic?    Which is more corrupt?
According to All the King's Men, what are the dangers facing a democratic society in an age of mass politics?  Do you agree that this is a real danger that we may face?

Other political movies that we will discuss in class, but you are not required to view are

7 Days in May (1964) directed by John Frankenheimer

Dr. Strangelove (1963) directed by Stanley Kubrick

Citizen Kane (1941) directed by Orson Wells

JFK (1991) directed by Oliver Stone

Nixon (1995) directed by Oliver Stone

The Crossing (1999) directed by Robert Harmon

Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (1939) directed by Frank Capra

The Candidate  (1972)  directed by Michael Ritchie

The Manchurian Candidate (1962) directed by John Frankenheimer

Truman (1996) directed by Frank Pierson

The Complete Idiots Guide to American Government

Also used free online prep tests for citizenship at library web site.

Japanese English/ Japanese dictionary, two years of Rosetta Stone free at library web site (not impressed) My Japanese Tutor on Nintendo d/s $50.00, and http://www.livemocha.com/ free. These last two are highly recommended.

ACT prep book, course, and intensive prep course for perfectionist older student. LOL

Drivers Ed: Read in handbook each week; take at least one online prep test a week, drive, drive, drive, Safe Young Drivers a guide for parents and teens, Drivers Ed CD's, DVD's, Web sites and actual driving. Older girl also took an expensive and intensive driving course with a local driving instructor she hated that. Both took an expensive but good course with The Department of Hwy with the "skid monster" they both liked that.

World Religion and belief systems

http://www.religioustolerance.org/var_rel.htm

http://www.religionfacts.com/big_religion_chart.htm

http://www.cftech.com/BrainBank/OTHERREFERENCE/RELIGION/MajorReligion.html

http://www.selectsmart.com/RELIGION/

State History: Used fact of the day type of book from the parent teacher store, online state web site and research plus library resources.

Precious333
by Helping Hands on May. 18, 2013 at 1:59 PM
Classical.conversations foundations guide etc..it covers math, english grammar, latin grammar, history, geography, science and fine arts.

We use singapore math

We also use eclectic reader, and read many other books

We use story of the world for history as well.
chotovec82
by Welcome Squad on May. 18, 2013 at 7:32 PM
Oh lord... LOL...

OK I have a first grader and a kinder:

1st grader-

Math U Can See Beta set.

Growing with Grammar LvL 2

All About Spelling LVL 2

Hooked On Phonics Grade 2, additional books, starfall, How to Teach your child to read in 100 easy lessons (possibly), and a few sites that are supposed to help with reading. Will discuss the book afterward. Maybe have him right me a small paragraph about the book for reading comprehension. Won't be every book tho. Maybe 2 a week tops.

The Story of the World revised version. Volume 1 and activity book.

The Human Body Detective set. This is for health.

Harcourt Science set LvL 2

Winning with Writing and we will start cursive.

A Childs View of the World. This is for Geography. We also have Leap Frog World Geography Maps and US state maps set.

Kinder-

Math U See primer and possibly start Alpha

Teach your child to read in 100 easy lessons, bob books, hooked on phonics kinder set, starfall and the reading websites.

For science, history, and other subects we will go to the net and look for relevant materials. We have brainpopjr, starfall, and a bunch of free sites.

We will have art and music also but these are going to consist of doing crafts and learning small amounts about different artists and muscians. I might try to put them in some kind of music class as well. PE will be playing outside and that sort.

Also we are homeschooling all year around and I will use a block scheduling method. My children will not have all those subjects each day. I don't want to overwhelm them :)

ETA: I forgot to add that they will also being doing Spanish.
Anryan
by Welcome Squad on May. 18, 2013 at 7:43 PM

This year:

8th grade

Math: Saxon Algebra 1

Science:  biology: the development of life

History: American Nation

English: Voyages in English

Literature: Elements of Literature

Foriegn Language: Gaelic continued.  She does spanish at co op

MonkeyPeanut79
by Welcome Squad on May. 18, 2013 at 7:55 PM

Next year:

My almost 4 year old will be doing Easy Peasy Homeschool. The pre-k level is nice and easy.

My second grader will be using,

Math: Horizons

Social Studies: My World by Pearson

Science: Interactive Science by Pearson

Language Arts: McRuffy

History: History Odyssey

Art: ARTistic Pursuits

I think that's all but I feel like I'm forgetting something. If I remember I'll come back and edit :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)