Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help finding cirriculum for extras

Posted by on May. 20, 2013 at 10:12 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 226 Total Views

So I think I know what I am going to use for the core things like Math, Science, Language Arts, etc..  What I don't know is things like Art, Music and Health.  I want to do something for art, but I can probably just have him do projects that go along with what we study in some of the other subjects.  He is going into 2nd grade, do I even need to do Health with him?  If so what do you recommend?  Any good Art programs out there?  I am not artistic at all so ideas of things to do would be good.  Anything else I should be working into our program?  Or am I going overboard?  We are going to be starting in August so I want to have everything together before then. 

by on May. 20, 2013 at 10:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Anryan
by Welcome Squad on May. 21, 2013 at 2:11 PM
1 mom liked this

my daughter is in 8th grade and we don't do health.  We did it in 6th grade and that was it.

We have been doing foriegn language for a few years now but that is because my SO speaks gaelic and she wanted to learn so we are teaching her Gaelic (irish not scottish). 

We don't do a formal PE class either, i figure she plays outside for hours plus we go bowling alot and she has PE at her CoOp on Fridays.

We don't specifically do Art either but we do tons of crafts thru out the year and she loves to draw so she does a lot of research on Youtube and draws cartoons/anime, etc. 

celticdragon77
by on May. 21, 2013 at 2:46 PM
1 mom liked this

This is my first year back to homeschooling. I am just sticking to the basics here at home (english, math, science, social studies). My kids love art, so I will likely find a few books and websites.

Pinterest is something I plan on using a lot for every subject, to get fun creative ideas. 

My kids are getting a piano, so I plan on getting them piano lessons. I plan on signing them up for kids art classes at the local art college. My daughter wants to do a class at the local theater (they have two week programs for kids). Next year we can look into sports and homeschooling groups - or other ideas that pop up.

I am overwhelmed with all the information right now - and I want to focus on catching my kids up in reading. So, I do not want to overload things at this point. 

Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air... Emerson   This mama is the group owner of Education Station and Montessori, has three kids 17, 10.5, 9 yrs old, works, homeschools in S.E. Pa, and explores life + varied interests. 

kmath
by Welcome Squad on May. 21, 2013 at 8:03 PM

Thanks for the advice ladies.  All of this is overwhelming so any advice is helpful.  Pinterest is a great place for ideas and I plan to utilize it especially for craft things.  I am so NOT crafty.  LOL.

No_Difference
by Nikki on May. 21, 2013 at 8:21 PM
1 mom liked this

For Art, there is Atelier, which we used this year, and Artistic Pursuits, which we're using next year ( a LOT cheaper). Both have from K and up.
For music, I we to Hal Leonard's website, and looked up music theory books. My daughter is also interested in learning piano and violin, so we got lesson books for those
I don't know about health tho.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Helping Hands on May. 29, 2013 at 12:05 PM
Check out the Rainbow Resource catalog. Has great options at reasonable prices.
LostTheSlipper
by Guidance on May. 29, 2013 at 12:30 PM
1 mom liked this

Meet the Masters

Scroll down to the bottom area of this for the cheapest option:

https://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org/meet-the-masters/?c=1

Dawn07
by Welcome Squad on May. 29, 2013 at 12:36 PM
1 mom liked this
We used Artistic Pursuits this past school year and I really like it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)