Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Looking for The Story of the World and All About Spelling (PIOG)

Posted by on May. 23, 2013 at 9:56 PM
  • 10 Replies
  • 194 Total Views

These are the only two things I have really decided I want to buy (so far).  Does anyone have any of them? 

I have none, but want to get them all, but would obviously like to get them used if I can!  They seem to be very hard to find used, which I actually take as a good sign, hoping it means they are really good and people don't want to part with them ;)

I am also looking for math manipulatives (for older kids, my almost 5th grader is struggling a bit, she does well with hands on stuff) and spelling manipulatives (again for my almost 5th grader), I would love some letter tiles or bananagrams.

by on May. 23, 2013 at 9:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Knightquester
by Helping Hands on May. 24, 2013 at 7:44 PM

I would try Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/ I found used copies of Story of the World and math manipulatives on there, good luck :-)

celticdragon77
by on May. 24, 2013 at 8:11 PM
2 moms liked this

I dont have any for sale - but I wanted to recommend the bananagrams. My kids LOVE using these - and prefer them over the other letter manipulatives. I keep ours on a clear tray and they lay out their "Montessori" mats when using them. 

Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air... Emerson   This mama is the group owner of Education Station and Montessori, has three kids 17, 10.5, 9 yrs old, works, homeschools in S.E. Pa, and explores life + varied interests. 

tennisgal
by Helping Hands on May. 26, 2013 at 12:14 AM

I just bought Story of the World from B&N tonight. It's $16.99 with the 20% discount made it like $13.50. It was also in stock in the store. I'm looking for some sources that use the book but also give Read-Aloud suggestions and activity suggestions as well. No luck yet...but I hope I can find something soon. 

celticdragon77
by on May. 26, 2013 at 2:47 AM

Have you tried your library for Story Of The World? I know that my library carries it. With a teacher acct, I can keep library books out for quite awhile.

TJandKarasMom
by Welcome Squad on May. 26, 2013 at 10:42 AM
My library didn't have it,but I did use the library share to request it from another library in my state...but they only have volume two. I will look again and look into a teacher account, I need to go talk to our children's librarian about hsing anyway, I hear she's a great resource.

Quoting celticdragon77:

Have you tried your library for Story Of The World? I know that my library carries it. With a teacher acct, I can keep library books out for quite awhile.

TJandKarasMom
by Welcome Squad on May. 26, 2013 at 10:43 AM
For just one volume? I Am so cheap (read poor) lol. We really have no money to spend right now, but I'll keep looking! Thanks...how did you get the discount, do you have their discount card?

Quoting tennisgal:

I just bought Story of the World from B&N tonight. It's $16.99 with the 20% discount made it like $13.50. It was also in stock in the store. I'm looking for some sources that use the book but also give Read-Aloud suggestions and activity suggestions as well. No luck yet...but I hope I can find something soon. 

tennisgal
by Helping Hands on May. 26, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Hey I understand. There have been many years when I didn't buy anything. Yes, just one volume. I have the B&N educator discount card. It's 20% off and the card is free (rather than their membership card which isn't free). 

Try an Interlibrary loan. I've heard some libraries make exceptions for homeschoolers and allow them to keep their books for an extended period of time. 

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

For just one volume? I Am so cheap (read poor) lol. We really have no money to spend right now, but I'll keep looking! Thanks...how did you get the discount, do you have their discount card?

Quoting tennisgal:

Precious333
by Helping Hands on May. 26, 2013 at 11:02 AM
For math manipulatives we use math u see tiles and colored bears (given so i dont know what they are called. We also have games, addition tic tac toe, and wonder number
TJandKarasMom
by Welcome Squad on May. 26, 2013 at 5:29 PM
I had no idea there was an educator card for free, do they offer it to all homeschoolers?

I will also ask about longer loans for books from the library. This fall will be our first year hsing..I have a lot to learn!

Quoting tennisgal:

Hey I understand. There have been many years when I didn't buy anything. Yes, just one volume. I have the B&N educator discount card. It's 20% off and the card is free (rather than their membership card which isn't free). 

Try an Interlibrary loan. I've heard some libraries make exceptions for homeschoolers and allow them to keep their books for an extended period of time. 

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

Quoting tennisgal:

tennisgal
by Helping Hands on May. 26, 2013 at 5:38 PM

Our store has an email list to all homeschoolers (you signed up for the email through our local group) and their PR person sent an email encouraging homeschoolers to sign up for the educator's discount card. I went to sign up at the store and the clerk said I wasnt eligible, but I had printed the email from their PR lady. So I signed up for it. Their computer renewed it for me when it was about to expire with my last purchase. Downfall: you cant use it on Nook book purchases. 

yes...there is A TON of info out there. It can so easily be overwhelming but try not to let it get to you. We've been researching homeschooling for four years (our oldest is only 7) and I still read lots of books and blogs about it. I guess I'm always looking for more ideas. 

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

I had no idea there was an educator card for free, do they offer it to all homeschoolers?

I will also ask about longer loans for books from the library. This fall will be our first year hsing..I have a lot to learn!

Quoting tennisgal:

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

Quoting tennisgal:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)