Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sports

Posted by on May. 29, 2013 at 10:06 AM
  • 10 Replies
  • 237 Total Views

I was once told that our kids, even homeschooled, could participate in school sports.  Is this true?  If so how do you go about knowing what/where/how.

Our local school said absolutly not.

by on May. 29, 2013 at 10:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Helping Hands on May. 29, 2013 at 10:22 AM
It varies from district to district. Some areas seem more open to it. We have never asked in our area.
lovingmylife6
by Testing the waters on May. 29, 2013 at 10:23 AM

But there are no state laws then.  You have to find a school willing.

Ecoseem
by Welcome Squad on May. 29, 2013 at 10:33 AM
1 mom liked this

Most homeschool groups have sports, or if you're in an area that has community sports, then everyone is welcome.

Dawn07
by Welcome Squad on May. 29, 2013 at 12:41 PM
1 mom liked this
In louisiana law says you can try out same as the others for public school sports. Not every state has that law though.
Britty1987
by Welcome Squad on May. 29, 2013 at 2:43 PM
In Iowa you have to be dual enrolled in order to participate. Where do you live?
Pukalani79
by on May. 29, 2013 at 3:01 PM

Check with the school district.  Some schools are more open to the idea than others.  If there are any private schools in the area, you might check with them as well.  If nothing else, there's the Y.

lovingmylife6
by Testing the waters on May. 29, 2013 at 3:41 PM

Wisconsin is where I live. Thanks!

mylovey
by on May. 29, 2013 at 5:36 PM
I live in Wisconsin as well. We are new to homeschooling, and never asked in our area. We do have our daughter in dance. We also plan on getting her signed up for gymnastics, swimming, and soccer at a local community center. What area are you in? We live in Hilbert (Kind of in the middle in regards to Appleton, Green Bay, Manitiowac.
Quoting lovingmylife6:

Mommy to little Miss. Saylor, and little Mr. Finley. 

lovingmylife6
by Testing the waters on May. 29, 2013 at 7:54 PM

We are about 3 hours southwest of you.  We are right on the border of WI, ILL, IA.

Quoting mylovey:

I live in Wisconsin as well. We are new to homeschooling, and never asked in our area. We do have our daughter in dance. We also plan on getting her signed up for gymnastics, swimming, and soccer at a local community center. What area are you in? We live in Hilbert (Kind of in the middle in regards to Appleton, Green Bay, Manitiowac.
Quoting lovingmylife6:

AutymsMommy
by Helping Hands on May. 30, 2013 at 1:13 PM

Not necessarily true.

In our state (and it is a state law), homeschooled children can participate in all interscholastic (sports, clubs) activities in their zones school district/for their zoned school.

It was only passed about a year ago and is a state (not district) law.

Quoting lovingmylife6:

But there are no state laws then.  You have to find a school willing.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)