Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should I homeschool????

Posted by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 11:29 AM
  • 7 Replies
  • 249 Total Views

My 6 year old daughter (who will be entering 1st grade in September) has expressed an interest in homeschooling over the past few months. I am not really sure where she got the idea, but it is something that SO and I have discussed before because of how fast public school is going downhill and how many negative influences there are in public school.... because she brought this interest to us on her own and hasn't let it go over the past few months we have decided we will give it a 'trial run' over the Summer, that way we aren't pulling her out of school just to give this a try. I have an 11 month old at home as well with special needs and he has PT and OT at home each week along with other appointments through the month. I am concerned that I won't be able to handle juggling the workload that I am assuming will come with homeschooling and my current schedule. 

Can someone give me insight into a typical homeschool day and how exactly homeschool works? Thanks ladies!

teal ribbon ~Fragile X Awareness~       family car

by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 11:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Precious333
by Helping Hands on Jun. 10, 2013 at 11:38 AM
1 mom liked this
At that age we spend about 2 hours givebor take on school. I choose a time that works best for us. We do songs (history, math, science songs), games for review, reading,.writing, history, math, and once a week we meet with a group and do fine arts, science projects, presentations etc (we do that 24 weeks of the entire year). We also have a park day and pe class once a week that we participate in. I homeschooled a prek and 1st grader this year. Next year they will be kindergarten and second grade and we plan oj.having a similar routine.

I am a wahm as well, and i know many moms who successfully have homeschooled with a child that has special needs as well. The great thing about homeschooling is that it is felxible to your family's needs. A friend of mine have a dance company and travel a lot, so a lot of their homeschooling includes travel :) you can do it mama!!!
happybabe
by Welcome Squad on Jun. 10, 2013 at 11:45 AM

Thank you for the encouragement! I am very nervous but she seems so interested in the whole process. And I think it would be great for her as a person to grow up without so much negative influence found in a school setting.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Helping Hands on Jun. 10, 2013 at 1:19 PM
I hate this question. No one can decide for you and homeschooling is a total lifestyle change. Learning becomes part of living and existing. We have specific school times but I also try to turn life experiences into lessons.

That said...

I am sure it is doable... Especially in the younger grades.

It gets easier as they become more independent but also harder because there is more of a workload once you are planning for college...that is a long way off for you!

I would take it a year at a time and see where life leads you.
kmath
by Helping Hands on Jun. 10, 2013 at 2:18 PM

The best thing about homeschooling is how flexible it is.  You can make it as intensive as you want.  You can do a boxed curriculum or pull one together yourself.  I think you can do it.  You just have to work around the other things going on in your life.  Only you can decide if homeschooling is really for your family, but you won't know until you actually try.

gratefulgal
by Welcome Squad on Jun. 10, 2013 at 2:23 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with pp, that only you can decide that. But, if she shows an interest, I would go for it. Everyday is not going to be rainbows and lollipops, there are going to be days when dinner is a frozen pizza (2 hours late!) and days when you wonder what you were thinking. Your time is not just your time, you'll be planning and teaching and preparing, squeezing regular housework in the cracks between those times. You'll be exhausted, but you'll be happy. In spite of the work, it will reward itself. It's alot like being a mother: as a mom you work more than you ever have, and go until you drop. But motherhood is it's own reward. Seeing your child understand something, spending that time, and knowing that they know what they know because of you; that's the reward.

A day can be two hours. It can be 8 hours. Maybe you also fit in school on weekends. I would see what subjects are taught in her grade for your school district. Look up the laws and see how many hours or days you have to do school in order to satisfy them. Keep in mind that more subjects take more time. You can use a curriculum, or pick and choose between them. There are so many choices. For just giving it a trial run over the summer, I would do the basics of math, reading and language arts, some science and social studies, etc. You can ask the school to provide you a scope and sequence of what THEY teach for 1st grade, and you can start teaching off of that. Maybe pick up some workbooks at a teacher supply store, or even Walmart. Depends on what you want. Alot of states you have to fill out forms saying that you intend on homeschooling, so be sure to find out what your state requires.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained!

Good luck!

JadeTigr7
by Welcome Squad on Jun. 11, 2013 at 10:29 AM
Yep, only you can decide. I have five kids, 3 doing school. It takes about 3 hours.

I'm also about to start working from home.
peachwine
by Welcome Squad on Jun. 11, 2013 at 10:59 AM

There are several options available. There is box curriculums, there are programs such as SOS & Monarch that are online. There is even virtual public school. Many would say that isn't home school, but I personally think it is. Last year was my first year homeschooling, and we used mostly A Beka materials. This year I am on the fence on continuing with the traditional ways or using a virtual public school. I say research, and pray on it. Then when you are ready to make a decision, stop reading all the reviews. I know I would make a choice, feel good about- but then see something that would make me rethink it. LOL Im so indecisive, until I am certain on something. Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN