Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how to deal with english

Posted by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 3:13 AM
  • 2 Replies
  • 312 Total Views

Due to his autism oldest DS hates writing and has only recently started doing it via using a favortie pen and some work on the computer. The issue however is that although he can read well he is behind on english by about a year. I am trying to figure out if i should just teach him and his younger sister on the same level and just worry about curriculum for him after he catches up or should i just find one that reviews basics but is his current level. 

Things are hectic already here with one who is pre-k4, a kindergartener, second graderish and a third grader. but thier capabilities are all over the map. feel like i am running in a circle.

by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 3:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
mamavalor
by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 6:41 AM

Find where his strengths and weaknesses are and start from there.  Try not to get held up by "levels".  That's too much stress to bring him up to par considering he doesn't like writing in the first place.  Since he reads well, supply him with well written books.  He will certainly pick up good spelling, grammar, vocabulary, and syntax structure.  Just make sure he comprehends the story, too, by supplying comprehension questions.  Maybe even have him write down his answers.  Good luck.

Jinx-Troublex3
by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 11:27 AM
I wouldn't each the two together.

I do Lang arts with my younger two together. They are 12 and 10yo but the older one has comprehension issues and an unspecified LD.

These two usually fight like crazy but do the Lang arts time well together.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)