Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New at Homeschooling....Need HELP!!!

Posted by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 2:55 PM
  • 14 Replies
  • 467 Total Views

I am very new to this. I have a son who is starting kindergarten this year, and I really dont want to send him to a public school, however I have no clue where to start the homeschooling process. Especially curriculum! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 2:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
debramommyof4
by Helping Hands on Jul. 2, 2013 at 3:13 PM
Where are you? We can help better if we know the state.

You can teach your son kindergarten for mostly free.

I like lessonpathways.com sorry I am mobile and can not make a sticky.

There are all kinds of things. Have fun with kindergarten though!
justinsmom777
by Testing the waters on Jul. 2, 2013 at 4:07 PM

We are in Akron Ohio....thanks for the website

debramommyof4
by Helping Hands on Jul. 2, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Your welcome. 

Here is your states local homeschool information site.

http://ohiohomeeducators.net/

Other ladies will be around later and probably do better than me.

Jody59
by Welcome Squad on Jul. 2, 2013 at 5:13 PM

The neat thing is there is really no way you are going to mess up kindergaten, unless you way over do it on what you want to accomplish. you will do more informal teaching than formal. Vary the morning with things he does with you and alone, with quiet /still activities and louder/moving activities. Read to him a lot, use music as a teaching tool. Some of it can be "fun" but it does not all have to be"fun". Your main thing will be to start on a phonics program. 

Check Out The Writing Course

justinsmom777
by Testing the waters on Jul. 3, 2013 at 7:53 AM

when I spoke to someone from the school, they asked me what curriculum i would be using, and i have been doing a lot of research, but cant seem to find anything except the really expensive ones. Ive gotten books, but nothing is help me find a less expensive approach to this.

debramommyof4
by Helping Hands on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:10 AM
You do not have to buy a full on curriculum. Lessonpathways.com can be used as a full curriculum. You can do letter of the week for reading and print worksheets from education.com for math. You can get what your kindergardener needs to know and use that as a base or your whole curriculum. You can buy the book for $20 or rent it from the library.

They really are trying to scare you into not homeschooling.

There are also, at least where I live public charters that provide books and a teacher to help if you need it.

You can home school anyway you want. You can buy no curriculum and unschool and they can not tell you that is wrong either.

Quoting justinsmom777:

when I spoke to someone from the school, they asked me what curriculum i would be using, and i have been doing a lot of research, but cant seem to find anything except the really expensive ones. Ive gotten books, but nothing is help me find a less expensive approach to this.

luvcats406
by Welcome Squad on Jul. 3, 2013 at 1:30 PM

This is my first year homeschooling.  I quickly learned from other homeschoolers that you never talk to the schools, unless you have an IEP or 504.  I used to do as you and talk to the school.  They had no idea about homeschooling or the rules of the state.  I was "bullied", as my homeschooling friend put it, by the middle school.  I would call and they would never call me back.  I kept calling and finally the principal called me back and was very nasty to me.  She asked me why I was so rude as to keep calling.  She was busy and could not call me back.  Now I do all correspondence in writing.

As was said, you decide, not the school.  4-5 year olds are young.  I would say at this age do all learning through play.  Play games with numbers, letters.  My son like dry erase books.  I get a lot of these at his age level.

motheroffour186
by Helping Hands on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:37 PM
WWW.havefunteaching.com
EmmasMummy11
by Welcome Squad on Jul. 4, 2013 at 12:15 AM
Easy peasy is a free online curriculum and I have friends who love it!

I was worried about it too a few years ago and my oldest went to kinder and first. I was not pleased and pulled her. My kindergartener does not like typical "school work" so we're doing things a little outside of the box. I do Montessori apps on the iPad and read to her. She does a few simple workbooks but its fun things like coloring, tracing, and cutting and then we do crafts. Just keep it fun. I got frustrated because she was rolling her eyes and didn't want to do it. Then it dawned on me...this is homeschool. It's supposed I be flexible and fun...especially in kinder! Don't stress! They are sponges. Just coloring and talking will teacher much :)
justinsmom777
by Testing the waters on Jul. 4, 2013 at 8:18 AM

So when I fill out the paper to be approved for homeschooling, what should i put as the curriculum i will be using?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)