Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Overwhelmed!!

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2013 at 11:28 PM
  • 18 Replies
  • 549 Total Views
I am thinking very hard about starting homeschooling this year with my 7 year old. He will be in 2nd grade. I've been trying to research and figure out what would be the best curriculum to start us both out on. I've noticed that a lot of people use a mixture of curriculums.... I'm not sure if that would work for us our first year. I am looking for a Christian based, accredited curriculum.
by on Jul. 28, 2013 at 11:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Michelle479
by Testing the waters on Jul. 28, 2013 at 11:39 PM
We use clp.org - Christian Light. They are affordable and helpful. I have also been hearing a lot about Easy Peasy??? I am not sure if it is christian based or not. However it is free.
holly_85
by Testing the waters on Jul. 28, 2013 at 11:45 PM
O, okay! Thank u...I will def look into that! The two that I had read the most on were abeka and alpha and omega, and someone else mentioned heritage home school academy...none of which are free! Lol...I really need something that is already laid out for the most part. like I said, this will be completely new to us both, and I'm a little scared!!

Quoting Michelle479:

We use clp.org - Christian Light. They are affordable and helpful. I have also been hearing a lot about Easy Peasy??? I am not sure if it is christian based or not. However it is free.

Michelle479
by Testing the waters on Jul. 28, 2013 at 11:56 PM
We have been home-schooling for 7 yrs. Some days I am still scared lol. It can be a lot to deal with some days. I like having everything laid out for me because of our hectic life styles. You will learn as you go. Not every year/day has to be the same. To me remembering to relax and have fun have been the most helpful tips ever lol.

Quoting holly_85:

O, okay! Thank u...I will def look into that! The two that I had read the most on were abeka and alpha and omega, and someone else mentioned heritage home school academy...none of which are free! Lol...I really need something that is already laid out for the most part. like I said, this will be completely new to us both, and I'm a little scared!!

Quoting Michelle479:

holly_85
by Testing the waters on Jul. 29, 2013 at 12:04 AM
O wow! 7 years! That's great! I think my biggest issue is that I think too much. my son is so smart! He had an awesome first grade year...he has picked math and spelling up so good and so fast! I want him to continue this, and I'm so scared that some how I will hold him back from his potential. I know that it is probably the opposite...he will probably learn more! He is concerned that he won't have friends, but I will see to it that it doesn't happen that way!I've debated homeschooling since before first grade. now my husband is working out of town, so it would make it to where we could travel with him as we wanted, or be at home when we wanted. Of course there are several other reasons why I've wanted to home school. however, for every reason I have, there is a concern as well! I think if we will just do it, we will both love it! Public school starts here in 3 weeks, and I know I have to have some paper work turned into the school system by the 15th, so now I'm really starting to panic!! Lol

Quoting Michelle479:

We have been home-schooling for 7 yrs. Some days I am still scared lol. It can be a lot to deal with some days. I like having everything laid out for me because of our hectic life styles. You will learn as you go. Not every year/day has to be the same. To me remembering to relax and have fun have been the most helpful tips ever lol.

Quoting holly_85:

Quoting Michelle479:

oahoah
by Helping Hands on Jul. 29, 2013 at 12:11 AM

We have tried many different types of curriculum in the past 2 years. I have been studying Charlotte Mason this year and am going to use Ambleside Online, or at least give it a try; if that doesn't work I have Heart of Dakota and My Father's World as back-ups!

Michelle479
by Testing the waters on Jul. 29, 2013 at 12:12 AM
I would to be able to travel and school. Sounds like fun. Look at it this way you can always try it for one year. If for some reason it doesn't work then you can re-enroll him in public school. You will never know until you try.

Quoting holly_85:

O wow! 7 years! That's great! I think my biggest issue is that I think too much. my son is so smart! He had an awesome first grade year...he has picked math and spelling up so good and so fast! I want him to continue this, and I'm so scared that some how I will hold him back from his potential. I know that it is probably the opposite...he will probably learn more! He is concerned that he won't have friends, but I will see to it that it doesn't happen that way!I've debated homeschooling since before first grade. now my husband is working out of town, so it would make it to where we could travel with him as we wanted, or be at home when we wanted. Of course there are several other reasons why I've wanted to home school. however, for every reason I have, there is a concern as well! I think if we will just do it, we will both love it! Public school starts here in 3 weeks, and I know I have to have some paper work turned into the school system by the 15th, so now I'm really starting to panic!! Lol

Quoting Michelle479:

Quoting holly_85:

Quoting Michelle479:

holly_85
by Testing the waters on Jul. 29, 2013 at 12:24 AM
See, I haven't ever heard of those!! There are so many curriculums out there! I'm praying God is going to give me some answers quick!!

Quoting oahoah:

We have tried many different types of curriculum in the past 2 years. I have been studying Charlotte Mason this year and am going to use Ambleside Online, or at least give it a try; if that doesn't work I have Heart of Dakota and My Father's World as back-ups!

holly_85
by Testing the waters on Jul. 29, 2013 at 12:32 AM
Michelle479, its been nice during the summer! I think we will enjoy it. Just losing the stress of working around public school's schedule will b great!! Do u remember how u started the process?? Did u have to get Ur paperwork turned into the public school system first? Or get Ur curriculum set up first?? Ugh...so many decisions and things to do in such a short amount of time!! Lol... I appreciate u ladies' feedback! Its 11:30 P.M here in Arkansas, so I've got to get to sleep!! But I will respond back tomorrow!! Thanks again! ;)
oahoah
by Helping Hands on Jul. 29, 2013 at 12:46 AM

I got a lot of great resources from our local library. Most recently was "The 3 R's" by Ruth Beechick. It is about a simplified homeschool approach and I am trying that this year.  I also bought it because it was so good, as well as Homeschooling the Whole Hearted Child by Clay Clarkson (if you are religious).  If you have a homeschool group in your area that is one of the best resources, it is where I was able to hear about great (and not so great) curriculum and met many great mentors and new friends.  You can do this and you may have days you regret your decision but hopefully those will be very few!  It can be as simple or complicated as you want it to be.

oredeb
by Helping Hands on Jul. 29, 2013 at 9:31 AM

christian liberty press is my favorite, they have some good books!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)