Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New to Homeschooling with a few questions

Posted by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 11:27 PM
  • 9 Replies
  • 622 Total Views

I have read the rules for my state so I understand what I need to do there but im not sure about the journaling and showing of progress.  It says I need to keep records but is there someone I show it to?  It doesnt say or is it something that I keep in case there is ever an issue.  I am in Missouri.  Also I am not sure where to start as far as curriculum and I guess just flat out getting started!  Any help would be wonderful.  Thanks!

by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 11:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
debramommyof4
by Helping Hands on Aug. 3, 2013 at 11:59 PM

There are several free curriculums.  Lessonpathways.com and allinonehomeschool.com for free.  You can use your local library also.  Or you can buy it from any curriculum store. 

I have not read your state laws but if it does not state who you turn them into it is ussually so that you are safe if someone asks.

DyslexiaParent
by Welcome Squad on Aug. 5, 2013 at 7:51 PM

Here in GA we have to keep progress reports, but we don't have to show anyone.  They are more of a permanent record of your child's academic progress, sort of like they keep for each student in public school.  The records can be useful if needed for documentation about what you're doing, but here in GA we don't really do anything with the reports otherwise.  If Missouri law doesn't say anything about submitting the reports, it may be a smilar practice to what we have.

As far as getting started goes, some of what curriculum you choose will depend on how old your child is, whether you want a Christian, secular, or other particular type of curriculum.  Personally, I like recommending figuring out your child's learning style and then select curricula that will fit you child's preferred method of learning.  http://learningabledkids.com/learning-styles has info about different types of learning styles that you can use in figuring out how you want to homeschool your child.  Using a program that suits your child's learning preferences does make learning easier and more fun. ;-)

Meandmycrew6
by Testing the waters on Aug. 6, 2013 at 12:53 AM

allinonehomeschool is a great site to always refer back to no matter what your doing.Starfall is great for little ones.ABCmouse is wonderful!!!!!...Im using k12 for the first time this year which is an online public school,so we will see how that goes!...You can buy complete curriculums or pull something together on your own.Definetley keep your records!!!That way if you ever need to show anything ever you will have it an be prepared.Plus i think it helps me be organized!Libraries are a must!!!!You can even use netflix for educational shows!Hope this helps a little!And most imporantly never stop asking questions!

MIPRECIOSO
by Testing the waters on Aug. 17, 2013 at 12:54 PM

YOU KNOW, I AM FROM CALIFORNIA, AND MY HUSBAND AND I DECIDED TO DO HOMESCHOOLING, SO, WE HAD THE SAME QUESTIONS AS YOU. MY HUSBAND FOUND OUT THAT OUR SCHOOL DISTRICT PROVIDES SUPPORT FOR HOMESCHOOLING KIDS. WE MEET  A TEACHER EVERY WEEK, SHE GIVE ME WEEK BY WEEK THE CURRICULUM, PROGRAM, BOOKS,  ETC..  OUR SON IS TESTED EVERY WEEK ACCORDING WITH WHAT WE WORKED DURING THE WEEK. WE ARE USING THE SAME PROGRAM THAN REGULAR SCHOOL, BUT AT HOME. SHE TAUGHT ME HOW TO DO MY DAILY PLAN. AND I NEED TO GIVE IT BACK TO HER EVERY WEEK AS WELL. SO, CALL YOUR SCHOOL DISTRICT IF YOU WANT, OR YOU CAN SIGN IN WITH PRIVATE PROGRAMS ONLINE.  JUST FYI, AFTER ONE MONTH OF HS, MY SON WAS READING AND WRITING! AMAIZING!!

Geneva1023
by Testing the waters on Aug. 18, 2013 at 10:15 PM
im in the same boat as you im also in columbia mo
Knightquester
by Helping Hands on Aug. 18, 2013 at 10:30 PM
1 mom liked this

I grew up right outside Missouri and the log back then was for just in case.

Here's a site that explains a few different secular homeschooling curriculum in each subject category:

http://www.secularhomeschool.com/content/217-secular-homeschool-curriculum/.

You can also just type in key words in your web browser for the specific type you're looking for.  I find that looking at curriculum is like car shopping you look at different types, read a lot of reviews, and maybe even try to find a copy at a local store you can physically go through before buying it.

Don't worry about not getting it right the first time around, and remember the first so many years of homeschooling is foreign to most, so don't shy away from asking questions, making mistakes, and trying different things.  Good luck!

MarcellaFL
by Welcome Squad on Aug. 19, 2013 at 2:12 PM

In Florida, you must maintain the portfolio for two years. Every year you must have the portfolio evaluated by a certified teacher, a psychologist or other professional qualified to certify your child is making adequate and appropriate academic progress. 

Jinx-Troublex3
by Helping Hands on Aug. 19, 2013 at 2:36 PM
That isn't really homeschool, but school at home.

Homeschoolers tailor their curriculum to their kids.

Quoting MIPRECIOSO:

YOU KNOW, I AM FROM CALIFORNIA, AND MY HUSBAND AND I DECIDED TO DO HOMESCHOOLING, SO, WE HAD THE SAME QUESTIONS AS YOU. MY HUSBAND FOUND OUT THAT OUR SCHOOL DISTRICT PROVIDES SUPPORT FOR HOMESCHOOLING KIDS. WE MEET  A TEACHER EVERY WEEK, SHE GIVE ME WEEK BY WEEK THE CURRICULUM, PROGRAM, BOOKS,  ETC..  OUR SON IS TESTED EVERY WEEK ACCORDING WITH WHAT WE WORKED DURING THE WEEK. WE ARE USING THE SAME PROGRAM THAN REGULAR SCHOOL, BUT AT HOME. SHE TAUGHT ME HOW TO DO MY DAILY PLAN. AND I NEED TO GIVE IT BACK TO HER EVERY WEEK AS WELL. SO, CALL YOUR SCHOOL DISTRICT IF YOU WANT, OR YOU CAN SIGN IN WITH PRIVATE PROGRAMS ONLINE.  JUST FYI, AFTER ONE MONTH OF HS, MY SON WAS READING AND WRITING! AMAIZING!!

Lindzlou91
by Testing the waters on Jan. 10, 2014 at 6:28 PM
I have the same questions as well, but I'm in Oklahoma where the laws are pretty vague on homeschooling as far as who we need to "answer to" regarding progress, records, etc. I'm just going to create a detailed portfolio and log book to keep track of everything.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)