Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cranky 1st Grader

Posted by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 5:17 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 259 Total Views
I'm having an issue with my youngest. It doesn't matter what assignment I give her, if it's independent work she automatically goes into tantrum mode. I have a 2nd and 3rd grader as well, so sometimes I need her to do independent work, so that I'm able to work one on one with them. Any ideas on how to calm her down? After we have a chat she perks up and works on it, but it always takes her forever. An hour and a half for 10 very simple math problems is waaaayyyy too long. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 5:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
lynnsl
by Welcome Squad on Sep. 3, 2013 at 5:41 PM

Does she like to work on the computer? If so, I can develop a learning page for her.  Just let me know what skill(s) she is working on and I can match them with some neat interactive websites that she could work on while you are working with your other two children. 

If you want to try it out, I would set up a study page for her on the web site below. There are other children on this site as well. When you click onto a subject, make sure you scroll down past the blue navigational box to see the websites. This would be free of charge. 

http://worknotes.com/IN/Indianapolis/study/index.html

Baby_G_24
by Welcome Squad on Sep. 3, 2013 at 5:48 PM
1 mom liked this

My 6 yo son is the same sometimes. So far the only thing to get him through those moments is to trade something, like if he wants to have extra time to play, watch TV or get a special treat. I know this is horrible that it had to come to that, but its working for now.

KickButtMama
by G.O. Shannon on Sep. 6, 2013 at 7:04 PM
1 mom liked this

This is a completely common issue with younger students. I'd say try some online learning games (there are tons) that she can do while you work with the elder two. My youngest refused to work independantly until he was about 71/2 y/o. But he liked computer games. So I could set him up with reading eggs, time 4 learning, etc and he'd keep busy learning while I worked w/ my other son.

twyliatepeka
by Twylia on Sep. 7, 2013 at 5:42 PM

are you sneaking into my house?? my 6 year old dd is not so into school lately either. if it is her idea she will do it but what she wants to do usually isn't school work. i get her to work better later in the day after she has burned off some energy outside playing.

MommaMeemee
by Testing the waters on Sep. 7, 2013 at 7:01 PM

I found a neat little printout on a blog from somewhere in cyber space..Can't remember exactly where, that we are going to start using next week.  It's a heart report and has several different Bible verses put into the appropriate category for the desired behavior. Basically we go over what God says about these behaviors and then I fill it out as the day goes. At the end of the day she has to show her 'Heart Report' to Daddy all by herself.  Hopefully this will give her some incentive to improve her attitude.  She seems pretty excited to start it, so we'll see how that goes.  I'll give you guys updates with whether or not it works for us. fingers crossed

arkansasmama08
by Welcome Squad on Sep. 7, 2013 at 8:52 PM
That's great!! I'd love to try that with mine!!

Quoting MommaMeemee:

I found a neat little printout on a blog from somewhere in cyber space..Can't remember exactly where, that we are going to start using next week.  It's a heart report and has several different Bible verses put into the appropriate category for the desired behavior. Basically we go over what God says about these behaviors and then I fill it out as the day goes. At the end of the day she has to show her 'Heart Report' to Daddy all by herself.  Hopefully this will give her some incentive to improve her attitude.  She seems pretty excited to start it, so we'll see how that goes.  I'll give you guys updates with whether or not it works for us. fingers crossed

jojo1974
by Testing the waters on Jan. 25, 2014 at 12:48 AM

I hate to say I am SO glad to hear this:-)  We are new to homeschooling and our assignments are taking FOREVER.  I'm right there with you on the 1.5 hours for a 20 min project!  We've had a few tantrums around here as well.  I keep telling myself it will get better:-)

I'll also try out some of these suggestions.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)