Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are online curriculums enough?

Posted by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 7:24 PM
  • 14 Replies
  • 510 Total Views
I am new to homeschooling and I would like to homeschool my 1st grader with as little money as possible. I was wondering if the online school like time4learning covers everything he needs. I don't know how to plan a curriculum on a budget and piece it together. I don't have $300 for a complete box set but I like how organized it is. I like lesson plans or some guide to help!
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 7:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AutymsMommy
by Helping Hands on Sep. 4, 2013 at 7:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Well, here's the gig. T4L is, what, $20/monthly?

That's well over $200 a year. You can get a decent setup of books, IF you would prefer that, for $200

*I've* heard that Time4Learning is a great supplement, but those I know who use it do so only as a supplement.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Bleacheddecay
by Leader on Sep. 4, 2013 at 9:36 PM

Some online resources combined with free library resources are enough. You do not need to pay for any of this unless you pick online resources or don't have a card and live in one of those areas that charges for a card.

arkansasmama08
by Welcome Squad on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:08 AM
I've got a friend that's using it but also supplementing with other materials in some subjects. There are a lot of websites you can get worksheets off of for free or close to. You could also check out k12. It's a complete, free, online school that sends you all your materials and you have a teacher you can contact for help. We looked into it last year for my oldest, but the schedule wasn't flexible enough for our needs.
ncstress
by Helping Hands on Sep. 5, 2013 at 11:20 AM
1 mom liked this
I looked into it but didn't feel t4l was enough. For 1st grade there is so much fun learning you can still do but if your trying to be free or as near free as possible check out the following sites -they have curriculum laid out use what u want.
www.amblesideonline.com
Www.oldfashionededucation.com
Www.allinonehomeschoo.com
collinsmommy0
by Welcome Squad on Sep. 5, 2013 at 12:52 PM
Also check out easy peasy all in one homeschool - it's a free online curriculum, you do some of it online & some of it offline (like print out worksheets or do activities, etc)
DyslexiaParent
by Welcome Squad on Sep. 11, 2013 at 8:44 AM

Whether or not "online school" covers everything needed depends upon the program itself.  We used T4L for a period of time.. I think it has everything over time, but we found it to be more minimal than robust in the learning content.  There's another site called Watch, Know, Learn that has countless lessons for free that are similar to T4L's lessons, but the WKL lessons aren't organized in a trackable format... They're all just there.  You have more robust content at WKL, but I think a parent would have to work to plan and organize the lessons in order to make sure her child covered what is needed. 

There are other options too like the Easy Peasy and Ambleside, both of which were already mentioned.  You might want to check out the options at http://learningabledkids.com/tag/curriculum-2 to see other online options.. there are many of them these days, and many that are free. 

Hope that helps!

JadensMommy2
by Testing the waters on Sep. 11, 2013 at 8:47 PM

I have 3 kids in Kindergarten and this is our 2nd week with T4L. I will probably end up cancelling it.  My kids like it, but its pretty bare.  I made the schedule for 9 months and it only takes them about 30 minutes a day to complete!  

caribear77
by Helping Hands on Sep. 11, 2013 at 10:48 PM

I used T4L last yr as a add on.  I woldnt use it by itself.  Never tried other online programs.

lovelylady83
by Welcome Squad on Sep. 12, 2013 at 12:51 AM

Not sure if this would help or be in the budget but....

Language Arts: $40.50 (just the book) / $75.50 The Kit

The Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading  Just the Book $20/The Kit $55

First Language Lessons Level 1 $10

Handwriting without Tears $10.50

Readers: History and Science and some fun books (library)

History: $ 41.45

Story of the World Activity Book $12.45 Book $11

Encyclopedia $18

Science: Pick One or Two topics $47 ea

Biology

Astronomy

Physics

Chemistry

Math: $111

Math U See Alpha

Total for LA w/Kit, History, 1 Science & Math = $274.95 plus trips to the library

LostTheSlipper
by Guidance on Sep. 12, 2013 at 1:39 AM

Use this for free, then buy books as well!

http://www.freeworldu.org/Flash-Card-Index/Elementary-School--6

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)