Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Language Arts Impossible *eta*

Posted by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 11:27 AM
  • 6 Replies
  • 219 Total Views

My DD is in the 1st grade, and this is our first year HS. She has beautiful penmanship and does really well spelling, but getting her to actually do the work is almost impossible. We do her English work in the morning or I know that it won't get done. I have tried having her copy the 'morning news' or typing in a computer diary but neither really seem to work. She argues and whines about her inability to think of something to write about, being a bad speller, the time it takes etc. Language Arts takes up a lot of the morning just because of how long he argues or whines about doing the work. These problems don't exist in any other subject.

Does anyone else have a child with difficulites in language arts that can give this Mama some ideas before I end up losing my hair just 2 weeks into the school year? 

**I think a huge problem is blending new words. She can sound out words to read and write if they are simple or sight words but new words even with the same sounds send her flying.**

teal ribbon ~Fragile X Awareness~       family car

by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 11:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Helping Hands on Sep. 6, 2013 at 12:02 PM
Give her a choice of two prompts...make them fun or silly....

Maybe start a make believe story with her and ask her to write what happens next...
Bleacheddecay
by Leader on Sep. 6, 2013 at 12:20 PM

I had these same issues with my son. It turns out he has dysgraphia and I didn't know it so naturally writing is hard for him. I got to where I would only require a sentence or later a paragraph. But when his writing actually took off was writing video game tips online or texting with girls. LOL

KickButtMama
by G.O. Shannon on Sep. 6, 2013 at 7:02 PM
1 mom liked this

I had the same issue w/ my youngest. I just shelved the lessons and continued reading every day. We came back to it a few months later with no problem

Bleacheddecay
by Leader on Sep. 6, 2013 at 10:09 PM

Another thing that helped my son was letting him dictate to me while I typed or wrote out his stories or reports.

SarahNElijah
by Welcome Squad on Sep. 6, 2013 at 11:05 PM
My second grader is a bit this way.. This week I had him write his own story into his tape recorder, and every day we are writing one page in his journal and illustrating it. He enjoys this a lot more because he loves to create stories (and draw), just not write them! :-) I also let him listen to music while he writes.. It actually seems to help him focus more!

We also write letters to friends and family, write about any science experiments we do, plan things out (I will have him write out plans for plays, etc. that he is wanting to do, so the interest makes it more bearable!)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
autodidact
by Welcome Squad on Sep. 7, 2013 at 2:11 AM

http://www.dgppublishing.com/overview.htm

i used this for grammar.

maybe you could google first grade writing prompts, give her more direction as to what to write. or get storytelling game cards to spark her imagination.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)