Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teaching Textbooks

Posted by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 10:43 PM
  • 15 Replies
  • 362 Total Views

I have used Abeka k-3 with my oldest.  He started this yr in Abeka 4.  He trails thru it pretty slow.  So, I ordered Teaching Textbooks for him tonight.  I think his main thing slowing him down is his multiplication facts.  I am hoping TT is slow enought that he can grip things better& get faster.  I am definitely going to add extra drills daily to hopefully help.  What are thoughts on TT?  Drill ideas, etc.  I want him to be good in math.  I really am trying to help him.  ideas welcome & appreciated!

by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 10:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ncstress
by Helping Hands on Sep. 12, 2013 at 10:52 AM
I don't know TT I haven't used it but we use a free online math program that teaches multiplication a little different but it really helped my 13 to ds to improve his skills. My 5 yo taught himself multiplication before add/sub using an app I have for his older bros to practice. You might try app games too.
caribear77
by Helping Hands on Sep. 12, 2013 at 10:54 AM

Quoting ncstress:

I don't know TT I haven't used it but we use a free online math program that teaches multiplication a little different but it really helped my 13 to ds to improve his skills. My 5 yo taught himself multiplication before add/sub using an app I have for his older bros to practice. You might try app games too.

What is the name of it?  I will try it!  Thanks!

AutymsMommy
by Helping Hands on Sep. 12, 2013 at 2:10 PM

I think TT can be good for a struggling learner. You did the placement test first, right? I ask because it can be pretty behind other programs, especially if he's finished successfully Abeka 3 math - he might need TT 5 or 6; it just depends.

Make sure you watch him on it - it's fairly easy to sail through, without really understanding it.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

AmyG1976
by Helping Hands on Sep. 12, 2013 at 4:26 PM
1 mom liked this

i love teaching textbooks my son was STRUGGLING knew nothing very behind in public with math when we pulled him end of 3rd grade they were using saxon. I started with horizons without all the timed stuff and tests he did a little better then I found teaching textbooks at a co-op curriculm day. HE loved it I thought it was great. I went home and bought it he knows math now he gets 100% or better almost every day.  Do the placement test TT tends to be a bit behind at first like many 2ed graders use the 3rd grade program my kid in 4th started the 3rd grade program year round to catch up. he is in 7th doing the 7th and like i said doing great. My 5th grader is doing the 6th grade and my3rd grader is doing the 3rd. it catches up as well your child wont finish 12th grade behind if only used teaching textbooks along but on track to ahead of the public kids. YOu can resell teaching textbooks and buy used btw totally legal they have no issues with that. Once the code has been used more than 2x you call them and they extend it.

caribear77
by Helping Hands on Sep. 12, 2013 at 5:48 PM

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I think TT can be good for a struggling learner. You did the placement test first, right? I ask because it can be pretty behind other programs, especially if he's finished successfully Abeka 3 math - he might need TT 5 or 6; it just depends.

Make sure you watch him on it - it's fairly easy to sail through, without really understanding it.

I did do the placement tests.  He got an almost perfect score on the Math 4 test but then didn't get many correct on the Math 5 one,which surprised me.  He got all good grades in Math 3 in Abeka last year.  He got most of the multiplication & divison ones wrong on Math 5 placement test for TT just because he didn't do the higher ones.  He said it would take too long to figure them all out.   I was annoyed by the lack of trying.  He even did equations, long divison/multiplication last yr so idk.  I figured if we went thru it quickly we haveAbeka 4 book here or I would just start TT 5.  I REALLY need him to memorize those facts though!!

caribear77
by Helping Hands on Sep. 12, 2013 at 5:57 PM

Quoting AmyG1976:

i love teaching textbooks my son was STRUGGLING knew nothing very behind in public with math when we pulled him end of 3rd grade they were using saxon. I started with horizons without all the timed stuff and tests he did a little better then I found teaching textbooks at a co-op curriculm day. HE loved it I thought it was great. I went home and bought it he knows math now he gets 100% or better almost every day.  Do the placement test TT tends to be a bit behind at first like many 2ed graders use the 3rd grade program my kid in 4th started the 3rd grade program year round to catch up. he is in 7th doing the 7th and like i said doing great. My 5th grader is doing the 6th grade and my3rd grader is doing the 3rd. it catches up as well your child wont finish 12th grade behind if only used teaching textbooks along but on track to ahead of the public kids. YOu can resell teaching textbooks and buy used btw totally legal they have no issues with that. Once the code has been used more than 2x you call them and they extend it.

That's great!  I hope it is loved here also. 

I was alittle concerned about it being slower but I kinda need that right now so my son can have longer to memorize those facts.  If he'd get them memorized I think he would even be fine in his Abeka book. 

I have heard great things from TT at a local group so really have been wanting to try it!  Nice to hear it catches up & is ok in later graduating years!  I love the idea of the video problems for the older grades!!  Nice that it has a good resale too!!  I have 4 kids so we prob will reuse it for awhile!!  lol!!  As long as things don't change too much! 

Liamoondancer
by LIA on Sep. 13, 2013 at 7:32 AM

We love TT, but also use Kumon workbooks for multiplication drills.

jen2150
by Helping Hands on Sep. 13, 2013 at 8:03 AM

The most important thing if for him to understand math.  Multiplication facts with come with time.  I would just encourage him to have fun with math.  Play games  with the facts.  Give him a mulitplication table and just let them naturally.  He needs to know them by the time he hits Alegebra.  Some kids learn quickly and some take their time.  My oldests is taking his time.  He learned them just by playing with math.  He has an aplitude for Math.  He has even locically figured out his times tables.  It is good practice for kids to use their logical thinking while working with math.  I wouldn't recommend straight memorizing in Math.  Let it come naturally and it will happen.  I am not saying don't practice mulitiplication but make it fun and free of expectations and it will happen.

caribear77
by Helping Hands on Sep. 13, 2013 at 9:09 AM
I'll have to look em up.

Quoting Liamoondancer:

We love TT, but also use Kumon workbooks for multiplication drills.

caribear77
by Helping Hands on Sep. 13, 2013 at 9:18 AM
He does understand it & how to do the problems its just how long it takes to do figuring out each times problem. He has always got good grades in math, he's a Perfect Paul if you know I mean. He was doing pre algebra basic solving for y, doing operations on both sides of the equation etc. This yr the abeka book is going into finding common denominator with fraction problems. Afraid with him not knowing tables quickly it would slow him worse. I remember it took me forever to memorize them & I just wanted him to better than I did. Lol! Games with them are awesome.

Quoting jen2150:

The most important thing if for him to understand math.  Multiplication facts with come with time.  I would just encourage him to have fun with math.  Play games  with the facts.  Give him a mulitplication table and just let them naturally.  He needs to know them by the time he hits Alegebra.  Some kids learn quickly and some take their time.  My oldests is taking his time.  He learned them just by playing with math.  He has an aplitude for Math.  He has even locically figured out his times tables.  It is good practice for kids to use their logical thinking while working with math.  I wouldn't recommend straight memorizing in Math.  Let it come naturally and it will happen.  I am not saying don't practice mulitiplication but make it fun and free of expectations and it will happen.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN