Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can anyone help me?

Posted by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 5:27 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 222 Total Views

I'm in Lakewood Ohio, and I am totally confused about how to handle this. I am new at homeschooling, I pulled my autistic son out in the middle of kindergarten to homeschool. I was not informed about any testing that needed to be done in subsequent years. I am new at this, and didn't even know to LOOK for that. I don't know any other homeschoolers, (I am working on that) and have not even had internet for the last 2 months. I just got back online and submitted my request to homeschool for my sons first grade year.

The superintendent denied me and at first refused to tell me why. Finally he tells me I need to pay and have a private person test my son and turn that into the school. I don't have ANY money to pay even $1 for someone to come test him. So I tell the superintendent that and I get stonewalled and responses like this: "An individual is free to choose all aspects of a child’s education when obtaining an exemption from compulsory school attendance for the purpose of “home education”. We can provide no resources for you. I can only recommend that you seek out other home schoolers for guidance. Since I am not permitted to release this information to you, I can only suggest that you contact the Lakewood Public Library in that some home schooling parents frequent the library for the purpose of home schooling; or search the internet for information about home schooling advocacy groups for assistance."

I tell him I feel like he is bullying me and preventing me from complying and he sends me something that says in part: "(C) If the parent(s) chooses to have the standardized testing conducted as part of the school district scheduled testing program, there shall be no cost to the parent(s). The time and location for testing shall be established by the school district. " But absolutely REFUSES to tell me when or where the testing is or how I can get my son tested. I don't know what to do. He left the office and told me he won't be reachable till Monday in the middle of our conversation. I feel like he is trying to force me to put my son back in public school. Can you please help?

by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 5:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Momof2IA
by Helping Hands on Sep. 27, 2013 at 9:06 PM

Since you have internet look on yahoo for homeschool groups in Ohio.  Your library may be able to assist you in finding other homeschoolers and maybe even the laws for home schooling in Ohio.  I believe HSLDA website has information by state as well.  Do google searches for Ohio  home school laws and see what pops up.  Many schools will mislead you and not try to help at all.  Good luck

wendythewriter
by Helping Hands on Sep. 28, 2013 at 8:04 AM
1 mom liked this

Never, ever rely on a public school or the district to tell you anything regarding homeschooling. Assumnig they give you any information at all, it will likely be incorrect because either they have no clue or they want you to get frustrated enough to put your kid back in school.

Look for local homeschooling groups and also read the laws for your state on HSLDA's website. That will be your best ways to get homeschooling info that's accurate, and it will also put you in a position of power over the superindendent, because once you know how things are supposed to be, he can't mislead you or simply stonewall you into submission. You'll be able to tell him what needs to be done, including anything he or his district has to do to assist you - and that also means you can remind him of the legal actions you can take if he fails to comply, and how horrible it would be for him and his district if you had to do that and the local media got wind of it.

sweetaspie630
by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 9:12 AM
Thank you, I applied for a scholarship to join HSLDA, they said I probably qualify based on my financial situation. This superintendent is being an asshat.
Quoting wendythewriter:

Never, ever rely on a public school or the district to tell you anything regarding homeschooling. Assumnig they give you any information at all, it will likely be incorrect because either they have no clue or they want you to get frustrated enough to put your kid back in school.

Look for local homeschooling groups and also read the laws for your state on HSLDA's website. That will be your best ways to get homeschooling info that's accurate, and it will also put you in a position of power over the superindendent, because once you know how things are supposed to be, he can't mislead you or simply stonewall you into submission. You'll be able to tell him what needs to be done, including anything he or his district has to do to assist you - and that also means you can remind him of the legal actions you can take if he fails to comply, and how horrible it would be for him and his district if you had to do that and the local media got wind of it.

sweetaspie630
by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 9:14 AM
Thanks I have been on yahoo and google for the last 2 days searching anything I can and applying to join any group I can.
Quoting Momof2IA:

Since you have internet look on yahoo for homeschool groups in Ohio.  Your library may be able to assist you in finding other homeschoolers and maybe even the laws for home schooling in Ohio.  I believe HSLDA website has information by state as well.  Do google searches for Ohio  home school laws and see what pops up.  Many schools will mislead you and not try to help at all.  Good luck

sweetaspie630
by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 9:16 AM

Thank you

Quoting BOOGIETHEBOOG:

Try these links. Hope that they help you

http://a2zhomeschooling.com/laws/united_states/ohio_home_school_laws/

http://www.hslda.org/laws/analysis/ohio.pdf

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)