Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

suggestions for 1st grade English curriculum no to little writing.

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2013 at 6:22 PM
  • 15 Replies
  • 638 Total Views
I have using time learning but the math wasn't working for him. He is visual. So I got math u see, and the science and history on it is a joke so I was already supplementing that. I am not under a charter so I have to pay for anything I buy. My son has sensory issues and can't write but can read well. We are doing writing without tears. But I'd love a guide for reading and read comp stuff. Then I can get rid of time4learning
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 20, 2013 at 6:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tmgonz
by Welcome Squad on Nov. 21, 2013 at 10:11 AM
2 moms liked this

You could try First Language lessons. It is grammar not really reading comp. You do it orally with him and it has very little writting. You can get it used for around  $10.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Helping Hands on Nov. 21, 2013 at 11:20 AM
Spectrum has really nice reading comp workbooks. I think I got them at Barmes & Noble. They are the read a story and choose the correct answer type. I often read the story and discuss it further with DD to go a little more in-depth.
ncstress
by Helping Hands on Nov. 21, 2013 at 12:14 PM
1 mom liked this
As far as reading goes we just read different books I like the literature from www.amblesideonline.com and I look up state standards and cover the topics needed. As for comprehension I like www.bookadventure.com it's free they read and take multi choice quizzes to earn points to buy rewards. For worksheets I like www.englishforeveryone.com read different types of stories and answer multi choice questions.
snowpeasmom
by Welcome Squad on Nov. 21, 2013 at 2:59 PM

Thank you I like that its multi and online.

Quoting ncstress:

As far as reading goes we just read different books I like the literature from www.amblesideonline.com and I look up state standards and cover the topics needed. As for comprehension I like www.bookadventure.com it's free they read and take multi choice quizzes to earn points to buy rewards. For worksheets I like www.englishforeveryone.com read different types of stories and answer multi choice questions.

jen2150
by Helping Hands on Nov. 22, 2013 at 8:25 AM
We use write shop and love it so far. As far as writing it is fine to take more of a lead and gradually let him do more on his own. Remember becoming an avid reader is more of a priority in this year.
oahoah
by Helping Hands on Nov. 24, 2013 at 2:10 PM

I am trying Heart of Dakota this year for my 1st grader, it has minimal hand writing. Also got some book suggestions from Ambleside Online for free-reading time.

lovelylady83
by Welcome Squad on Nov. 26, 2013 at 11:21 PM
1 mom liked this

First Language Lessons, All About Spelling and some readers... you could use anything really... I use booklists off of different curriculum the secular books on the Sonlight lists are our best friends!

Mandallyn
by Welcome Squad on Nov. 26, 2013 at 11:36 PM
I use first language lessons and writing with ease. Both have very little copy work for the student.
motheroffour186
by Helping Hands on Jan. 12, 2014 at 10:32 PM
We go to the library once a week and pick out books that they like last a week or go to the second hand store and read and ask them questions about the books
Nikkijr
by Welcome Squad on Jan. 14, 2014 at 2:20 PM
I use progressive phonics. It's free and fun.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)