Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Horizon vs ACE kindergarten reading

Posted by on Jan. 28, 2014 at 5:15 PM
  • 8 Replies
  • 271 Total Views

Right now we are using Horizons and my son (and me) are really struggling with it. It doesn't make sense to him and frankly it doesn't make sense to me either. I am planning on using ACE next year but I'm wondering if its going to be pretty much the same thing as Horizons and if I should be looking for a different curriculum or not. I used ACE 2nd -12 but I can't remember that long ago and since I was an advanced reader (like 8th grade in 2nd) I have no clue if it was hard. My son is not an advanced reader and I feel like I'm failing him with what we're doing now. I really want to find a program that works for HIM!

So, are Horizons and ACE a lot alike?

Here's some of the things I don't like about Horizons.
They're introducing words like "zither and watermelon" but skipping over "mat and mit"
They focus so much on letter sounds and reading made up words that my son thinks its stupid, he's hard of hearing and can't tell the difference between pin,pen and pan.
There is way too much boring repitition, he's not a fan of work pages.
#1 problem, he's bored.

I'll add that he loves Horizons math and is learning a lot.

by on Jan. 28, 2014 at 5:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
iHay
by Welcome Squad on Jan. 28, 2014 at 5:17 PM

Edited for typos, my fingers get ahead of my mind.

chotovec82
by Welcome Squad on Jan. 28, 2014 at 5:58 PM
I use Explode the Code for my boys. They really like it and their reading is improving.
iHay
by Welcome Squad on Jan. 28, 2014 at 6:18 PM

FUnny you say that. I just found it online and was looking at it. Is there anything your boys like about it particularly?

chotovec82
by Welcome Squad on Jan. 28, 2014 at 8:10 PM
It just clicks for them. It's fun and seemingly easy. We do a half of a lesson a day and that usually takes 15-20 minutes.

Quoting iHay:

FUnny you say that. I just found it online and was looking at it. Is there anything your boys like about it particularly?

MamaDearie
by Welcome Squad on Jan. 29, 2014 at 8:26 AM

If you are looking for very grounded, no frills, realistic reading and language arts, I cannot say enough good things about Christian Light. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Daisypath Anniversary tickers
Daisypath Valentines tickers
Daisypath Easter gifts tickers

I am a conservative Christian homeschooling mama of 3 who believes strongly in traditional families and traditional roles. 

iHay
by Welcome Squad on Feb. 3, 2014 at 9:03 PM

Does it cover everything they need or is it just grade level stories for them to read? I'm looking but not understanding... It it just a set of readers sort of like Bob Books?

Quoting MamaDearie:

If you are looking for very grounded, no frills, realistic reading and language arts, I cannot say enough good things about Christian Light. 

MamaDearie
by Welcome Squad on Feb. 4, 2014 at 12:27 PM

It is a workbook format. For reading, you use one of their grade level readers and give the child the corresponding workbook. With language arts, it is a self-contained workbook system. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
Daisypath Valentines tickers
Daisypath Easter gifts tickers

I am a conservative Christian homeschooling mama of 3 who believes strongly in traditional families and traditional roles. 

iHay
by Welcome Squad on Feb. 6, 2014 at 11:14 PM

Oh ok, I can't find a sample page of anything but a reader.

Quoting MamaDearie:

It is a workbook format. For reading, you use one of their grade level readers and give the child the corresponding workbook. With language arts, it is a self-contained workbook system. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN