Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help with school

Posted by on Feb. 11, 2014 at 11:56 AM
  • 8 Replies
  • 230 Total Views

My niece is being homeschooled till April due to a few reasons. 

She is a really bright girl, but is not trying at all to due her work.  She is in 5th grade and does not read instructions, just writing down stuff not even guessing.

I have had her for 2 days and her mom has been telling me she is not even trying at home.  So what can I do to help. 

She has to follow a curriculum that she was given by the school and that can not be changed much since she is behind in her work right now.

by on Feb. 11, 2014 at 11:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Bleacheddecay
by Leader on Feb. 11, 2014 at 12:17 PM

So she is going back to school and she knows that? I'd say let HER deal with the consequences. She is messing up and she knows it.

debramommyof4
by Helping Hands on Feb. 11, 2014 at 12:44 PM
She does but it is really hard to watch the and I feel like I should try something. Anything to break through.

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

So she is going back to school and she knows that? I'd say let HER deal with the consequences. She is messing up and she knows it.

TRAVELMOM817
by on Feb. 19, 2014 at 9:56 PM
Ask her how she likes to learn. Games, independently or with a lot of help. To get her going maybe she could pick something she would like to learn about.
debramommyof4
by Helping Hands on Feb. 19, 2014 at 10:23 PM
I may do that once we get her caught up. She was 2 weeks behind when I got her and I have follow what the school says as it is a public charter that follows exactly what the school is doing. It is kind of like k12 with regular books. But I think making it more fun would help.

Quoting TRAVELMOM817: Ask her how she likes to learn. Games, independently or with a lot of help. To get her going maybe she could pick something she would like to learn about.
Jinx-Troublex3
by Helping Hands on Mar. 23, 2014 at 2:39 PM

Some Charter schools are easier to manipulate than others... LOL

We are given an assignment sheet monthly ..OMG!! It would kick our asses if we did ALL of the work on it. It is given as a "recommendation" and I am only required to turn in ONE page of work samples per subject per month. 

We do work off the assignment sheet in general, but I substitue a lot of things out too. Sometimes we do Girl or Boy Scout badge activities for Science or History instead if the book work. I just pick ONE item off their assignment sheet to turn in as my sample.

Is it possible to do something like that?

You might also have her watch documentaries, or do hands on science and write about that instead of doing work out of the book. Play history games, or do field trips, etc.

Jinx - Homeschooling, Scouting & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Life Scout Ian 1/982nd Class Sean 9/00, Junior GS Heidi 4/03. Wife to Joe & Alpha to German Shepherd Spazz.

debramommyof4
by Helping Hands on Mar. 23, 2014 at 4:16 PM
This one is not at all easy to manipulate. She has got a little bit better. But she still has problems doing it. But she is doing the work. She just hates it.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

Some Charter schools are easier to manipulate than others... LOL

We are given an assignment sheet monthly ..OMG!! It would kick our asses if we did ALL of the work on it. It is given as a "recommendation" and I am only required to turn in ONE page of work samples per subject per month. 

We do work off the assignment sheet in general, but I substitue a lot of things out too. Sometimes we do Girl or Boy Scout badge activities for Science or History instead if the book work. I just pick ONE item off their assignment sheet to turn in as my sample.

Is it possible to do something like that?

You might also have her watch documentaries, or do hands on science and write about that instead of doing work out of the book. Play history games, or do field trips, etc.

KrissyKC
by Welcome Squad on Mar. 23, 2014 at 9:46 PM
Well, I know that my oldest is an auditory learner who thrives on the interaction of others.

Have her read the instructions out loud and tell you in her own words what she is to do. Have her do one or two in front of you with encouragement.

After she does a subject or two, bake something together and do the next subject while it bakes/cools.

Take turns reading aloud longer assignments.

If she responds better this way, she might just be like my kid.

debramommyof4
by Helping Hands on Mar. 23, 2014 at 11:07 PM
Thanks

Quoting KrissyKC: Well, I know that my oldest is an auditory learner who thrives on the interaction of others.

Have her read the instructions out loud and tell you in her own words what she is to do. Have her do one or two in front of you with encouragement.

After she does a subject or two, bake something together and do the next subject while it bakes/cools.

Take turns reading aloud longer assignments.

If she responds better this way, she might just be like my kid.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)