Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

common core

Posted by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 7:32 PM
  • 9 Replies
  • 554 Total Views
1 mom liked this
I saw a post in another group about it and was wondering what curriculums ARE NOT alined with it.
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 7:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
StanleyGirl
by Welcome Squad on Jun. 29, 2014 at 7:44 PM
1 mom liked this
I know abeka and apologia are not but those are the only ones so far that I personally have looked at that weren't I sooo bummed that mathusee joined the dark side ): lol
leftofperfect
by Testing the waters on Jun. 29, 2014 at 8:32 PM
How would I check to see if a program was? I lost the files that showed me how to check
leftofperfect
by Testing the waters on Jun. 29, 2014 at 8:33 PM
See above post

Quoting StanleyGirl: I know abeka and apologia are not but those are the only ones so far that I personally have looked at that weren't I sooo bummed that mathusee joined the dark side ): lol
StanleyGirl
by Welcome Squad on Jun. 29, 2014 at 8:51 PM
I just did a Google search also all the individual curriculum websites have a common core statement because it's everyone's big question I used abekas own search bar and it popped right up same as the other sites
StanleyGirl
by Welcome Squad on Jun. 29, 2014 at 8:51 PM
I just did a Google search also all the individual curriculum websites have a common core statement because it's everyone's big question I used abekas own search bar and it popped right up same as the other sites
No_Difference
by Nikki on Jun. 29, 2014 at 9:43 PM
1 mom liked this

I know there is a website out there that has it all...I will try and find it hopefully this week sometime, but hopefully someone else can get you the link faster.

As a side note though - some curriculums are "aligned" but never changed from what they originally were really...Math U See for instance is "aligned" but the only thing they really changed was they added enrichment pages...  I don't know how many other companies did that as well. We still use MUS because it works with us, and viewing the older stuff with the newer stuff, I'm not seeing really any changes at all. 

No_Difference
by Nikki on Jun. 29, 2014 at 9:48 PM

I don't know if this was the page I was originally thinking of, but it does have a very extenisve list: http://www.hsroadmap.org/common-core-project/  scroll just past half way and there is a download-able PDF with the list that is easier to read 

Chasing3
by Welcome Squad on Jun. 30, 2014 at 3:15 PM
1 mom liked this

well, it's sort of a marketing claim now, for any publisher who wants to sell to public schools (and some religious and private schools). SO far, there is no organization or authority that oversees what "common core alignment" means - so it's open to vast interpretation. Plus, the standards are really long, so it's pretty easy to take any book with lesson plans in it and back it into a standard or two and call your lesssons "aligned." Scarily enought, the same group of elites in the industry who brought us the Common Core State Standards are also talking about starting an agency to oversee common core aligned curricula -- which to me totally smacks of censorship! But anyway...

Personally, I would not throw out a tried-and-true publisher you've used and liked just because they might now say "common core aligned!" on their cover, unless it means they've completely overhauled their curricula (very, very doubtful!).

I'm also partial to small, independent publishers, so if they feel some pressure to claim alignment, I feel it's an indication of the tough market they are in, but I'd still buy their books.

I am not a fan of corporate driven education reform, so I try to avoid the big-dogs in the industry like Pearson, Longman, Scott Forseman... but then, I'm a HUGE Adobe fan, and Pearson owns them, so I guess I'm stuck buying some of their products. I have bought from Pearson competitors like Houghton Mifflin Harcourt and McGraw-Hill, but they are probably complicit in the CCSS take over of education too. And then there's Microsoft... it would be difficult to completely boycott their products. You kind of can't win, I guess. Unless you want to go live in a cave.

sarah_beth
by on Jul. 5, 2014 at 10:57 AM
1 mom liked this

Here is a blog that answers that question:

http://homeschoolwise.com/2013/03/02/popular-home-school-curricula-and-common-core/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)