Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Earth science

Posted by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 10:06 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 450 Total Views
Ds (12) would like to start earth science this year. Does anyone know of a good secular earth science curriculum that you would recommend? I havent been able to find one im happy with. Id prefer one that included labs but if not thats fine. Thank you. .
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 10:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
kmath
by Helping Hands on Jun. 29, 2014 at 11:37 PM
Check out Science Fusion. They are really good and have a few different Earth Science currics.
AutymsMommy
by Helping Hands on Jun. 30, 2014 at 3:31 PM

Oak Meadow

It is, to the best of my knowledge, the only secular homeschool earth science. All other earth sciences are public school texts (which assume a school lab facility) or Young Earth homeschool earth science.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

No_Difference
by Nikki on Jun. 30, 2014 at 3:48 PM

Have you looked at Real Science 4 Kids, REAL Science Odyssey, or Elemental Science? 
The only thing I wasn't thrilled with with Real Science 4 Kids, is that its set to be used either over 10 weeks or 20 weeks...either way not a full yeaer...
I've never used REAL Science Odyssey, but I've heard good things.
We're trying Elemental Science this year, but biology not the earth sciecne...  

AutymsMommy
by Helping Hands on Jun. 30, 2014 at 10:16 PM

RS4K and Elemental aren't exactly secular, imo - they just take a neutral stance. As in, they simply skirt controversial issues.

I did forget one - Mr. Q. Definitely secular. I think his earth science is meant for upper elementary though.

Quoting No_Difference:

Have you looked at Real Science 4 Kids, REAL Science Odyssey, or Elemental Science? The only thing I wasn't thrilled with with Real Science 4 Kids, is that its set to be used either over 10 weeks or 20 weeks...either way not a full yeaer... I've never used REAL Science Odyssey, but I've heard good things. We're trying Elemental Science this year, but biology not the earth sciecne...  

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

No_Difference
by Nikki on Jul. 1, 2014 at 8:40 PM

They give opportunity to look into the controversial issues how you choose to, which to me makes a better secular curriculum than ones that stay with one particular stance imo :)
I'd rather have the option to add something, espeically views on an issue, than have to skip something alltogether because I don't agree with it. Finding stuff on Big Bang vs Creationism is pretty easy too...

Quoting AutymsMommy:

RS4K and Elemental aren't exactly secular, imo - they just take a neutral stance. As in, they simply skirt controversial issues.

I did forget one - Mr. Q. Definitely secular. I think his earth science is meant for upper elementary though.

Quoting No_Difference:

Have you looked at Real Science 4 Kids, REAL Science Odyssey, or Elemental Science? The only thing I wasn't thrilled with with Real Science 4 Kids, is that its set to be used either over 10 weeks or 20 weeks...either way not a full yeaer... I've never used REAL Science Odyssey, but I've heard good things. We're trying Elemental Science this year, but biology not the earth sciecne...  

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
jen2150
by Helping Hands on Jul. 2, 2014 at 9:54 PM
Real science odyssey has a pretty good earth science.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)