Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teaching a child to read?

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:46 AM
  • 13 Replies
  • 958 Total Views

I am so worried about this school year I will be homeschooling my almost 6 and almost 7 year olds as well as dabbling in preschool like activities with my 3 yr old when she wants to. My concern is my almost 6 year old (Kindergarten)... I am so not sure how to teach her to read! She is very eager to learn, I am just unsure of how to go about teaching her! She knows all her letters and the sounds they make and she can read simple words already. So what are the best methods for teaching a child to read? Curriculum suggestions? Anything you can think of that would be helpful?

by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
collinsmommy0
by Welcome Squad on Jul. 25, 2014 at 6:19 PM
I haven't used it yet but I like what I see on the all about reading website - they have sample lesson materials for you to check out. It's phonics-based, short lessons, and seem to be activity based
arkansasmama08
by Welcome Squad on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:58 PM
2 moms liked this
We used starfall.com and hooked on phonics. I like both programs. All 3 of mine love starfall and my youngest (4) has already learned his letters and letter sounds. We ste going to start the hooked on phonics with him this year and see how it goes
Bethbeth
by Welcome Squad on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:42 PM

All About Reading :)

AutymsMommy
by Helping Hands on Jul. 27, 2014 at 11:10 PM

We are using Primary Art of Language Reading, by the Institute for Excellence in Writing company. We enjoy it so far. It's game based, which is a huge perk for my son.

I also pull from Phonics Pathways for blending drills.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

ncstress
by Helping Hands on Jul. 28, 2014 at 9:37 AM
Look up YouTube videos for Logic of English then check out their site -they offer some free resources along with a great program called foundations and a couple if apps for iPad & iPhone. It's what I've found and am using to remediate my 10 yo and to teach my 6yo. Watch the YouTube video especially about struggling readers-it's a workshop I attended that really relates to beginners and readers of all ages.
GodsAmiga
by Testing the waters on Aug. 15, 2014 at 10:06 PM

We used Logic of English and are using it again with our second. Both kids have loved it so far! Since she knows all the sounds for each letter she could probably skip level A. They say on their website what kids should know at the end of each book to help with placement. It is hands-on with lots of games that allow movement and suggestions for extra games and sensory boxes, etc.

JKronrod
by Welcome Squad on Aug. 16, 2014 at 3:35 AM

I really like Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons.  It's completely "programmed' in that it says exactly what you are supposed to say to the child.  We've never actually finished it (I've got four kids), but that's because they were reading fluently before we did.  One thing it does that a lot of other programs don't is teach the child HOW to sound out.  It's not completely intuitive -- words sound different pronouced slowly, even when the letters are correctly sounded (i.e., not saying Baaa -- adding a vowel sound -- for B).  There are practice drills in sounding out as well as the basic letters and combos.

Jinx-Troublex3
by on Aug. 16, 2014 at 4:42 AM
We HATED Teach your child to read in 100 Easy Lessons...lol I tried it with DS2 and it was torture. He knew so many sounds and letter names that they way they taught it was confusing...for both of us.

I do love All About Spelling and the AAR usus the same format so I would recommend that.

With DD we did games and flash cards, Leapfrog letter factory and Word factory, BOB books and some dollar tree workbooks. She is a great reader :)
sweetserenit292
by Welcome Squad on Aug. 16, 2014 at 12:48 PM

I use All about Reading and Abeka.   Very good phonics approach.  Some kids do well with that type of approach and others do better with sight words and memorizing.   I remember as a kid I had a great memory and I memorized everything. Even though I was a good reader, I had trouble comprehending and  in the upper grades, I had trouble sounding out words I didn't know. 

If you go with the sight base approach, remember to talk about reading strategies such as looking for smaller words in larger words, picture clues, and ask questions about the sentence or story. Example,  The dog is barking at the cat.  Who is barking?  Why did the dog bark ?  

placidic
by Welcome Squad on Aug. 19, 2014 at 7:01 PM
The Reading Lesson is great. I just start with a letter at a time, look up youtube videos, and watch them, use starfall.com, and read, read, read. Go around the house finding things that begin with the letter you are working on. Learn a few sight words and have her type them, writ them, complete a word search with them, then create a bingo game with the words. There are tons of free resources if you google. Teachyourmonstertoread.com is a nice site, too.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)