Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

has anyone ever used k12.com?

Posted by on Sep. 8, 2014 at 3:47 PM
  • 15 Replies
  • 1353 Total Views
Looking to plan ahead for my son's future and am looking into homeschooling, k12.com in particular. Has anyone used this service? If not, what services do you use for your child's at home education and why that particular service?
by on Sep. 8, 2014 at 3:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mandalynn252
by Welcome Squad on Sep. 14, 2015 at 1:38 PM

From my neighbor who is a former teacher and tried to use this to teach her kids at home for a while before giving up and putting them back in public school, it was ok until she tried to advance them in certain subjects. The online school would force them to go through the rest of the lesson even after showing mastery which meant that they would have keep doing the same old stuff until the end of the lesson and then it would let them move on. I'm steering clear of it b/c I want more flexibility, but it might not hurt to try it out. 

Bethbeth
by Welcome Squad on Sep. 15, 2015 at 1:21 AM
1 mom liked this

I would never try it. It sounds like it takes all the fun out of homeschooling. From what I have read, you can't go at your own pace, set your own schedule, or study what interests you. 

fairymom82
by Welcome Squad on Sep. 18, 2015 at 8:39 AM
We are using it now and I'm at the end of my rope with it. The math lacks any real explanations for the kids. I find myself doing loads more than what the book says because its just awful. Its also time consuming as far as a bunch of busy work with no real purpose. We are not impressed at all.
mami286
by Welcome Squad on Oct. 19, 2015 at 12:35 AM
How old are your kids?

quote name="fairymom82" id="0"] We are using it now and I'm at the end of my rope with it. The math lacks any real explanations for the kids. I find myself doing loads more than what the book says because its just awful. Its also time consuming as far as a bunch of busy work with no real purpose. We are not impressed at all. [/quote]
gracefamilydoc
by Welcome Squad on Oct. 21, 2015 at 10:23 PM

No, did not use this because it did not offer accelerated programs for my child.  I also felt like it would basically be public school at home, no real difference except no other  kids and no equipment.  I think this option works best for kids who need public school at home --like those who are happy with public school but have to stay at home due to bullying, pregnancy, illness, or similar issues.

I started with an all in one curriculum (my children were never public schooled, so they did not need deschooling.)  It was good for teaching me how to plan lessons and offering a variety of activities.  I was able to add, subtract, or accelerate as needed.  I got bolder about that as I went along.  So 4 years later, I'm now at the point where I buy curriculum for each subject.

momof3inTN
by Helping Hands on Oct. 21, 2015 at 10:52 PM
Yes. And NO, I would never use it again. Worst program ever.
tnt-manda
by Welcome Squad on Oct. 21, 2015 at 11:08 PM
I've never used it. I have friends that had and ditched it quick.

What are your reasons for homeschooling?

K12 is like public school at home, so if you're wanting something other than what public schools offer in general, I don't think you will be satisfied.
Chasing3
by Welcome Squad on Oct. 22, 2015 at 7:50 PM

i really don't consider it homeschooling. I consider it public school at home. You're going to be told what to do and when to do it by them, you won't have any choice or control.

I suggest reading up on the different philosophies and methods & styles of homeschooling and get an idea of what your vision of homeschooling your kids is.

I would also strongly encourage you to google "k12 criticism" or "virtual school criticism" or "cyber school criticism" to hear points of view other than by the provider.

Poosaloosa
by Welcome Squad on Oct. 25, 2015 at 4:35 PM
My friend used it, and hated it. I use what is still considered a public school at home, but, they customize the program for each child. They have a three different learning levels per grade, and if they test ahead of the grade, they move them up. My niece is 14 and a senior. Also my son's teacher customized his cirriculum. I feel more comfortable with this since I wasn't sure how set one up in the first place. Then they customize the learning style for your child. For instance, common core always has them drawing all these pictures, which drives my son nuts. Yet he will do the problem with his Unifix cubes immediately and easily. So the teacher said he can write "cubes" anywhere he he used them to figure out the problem. And they do this customization with every child, on every subject. Granted there are only a few kids in his class, but it still is a ton of work for his teacher because she teaches two grades.
I love this program, but technically I think it isn't really homeschool. But I still prefer having my son at home. But I like it better than the schools here.
CBMMOM
by on Feb. 4, 2016 at 8:15 AM

We were using Florida Virtual School,which judging from these replies,sounds about the same as K12. We did not use it for long. It's just like everyone is saying. Though it's at home,it's tedious,time-consuming and no fun at all. It's an ordeal that I dreaded each day. Turns out, so did she.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)