Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need some serious help ASAP please

Posted by on May. 21, 2015 at 9:53 AM
  • 14 Replies
  • 923 Total Views
My oldest (13 yrs) is autistic and I am thinking about taking him out of traditional schools and homeschooling him, he is very bright, except in math, he just has a really hard time being around other kids. He will be in the 8th grade. My problem is, how on earth do I get started? I mean, we cannot afford to buy a lot of the supplies, maybe just a few things, but I NEED, desperately need, help with the curriculum. Does anybody know how to help me?
Thanks in advance for any and all advice.
by on May. 21, 2015 at 9:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bugayfamilyof4
by Welcome Squad on May. 21, 2015 at 10:55 AM

We use Christian Light Education it isn't expensive at all. You can work at your own pace. It is done in work books. We also use Education.com I bought the year membership and you get unlimited workbooks and work sheets. I hope that helps.

Jinx-Troublex3
by on May. 21, 2015 at 12:06 PM
There can be many different options. Different states have different rules. I would start with being aware of the options where you live.

Some areas have homeschool co-ops or groups where families share ideas and curriculum, meet for park days or field trips, etc. They are usually a great resource for curriculum.

My state offers homeschool charters, technically public schools, where they give me funds to spend on curriculum, money for extracurriculars, and freedom to choose and plan our work. As long as your child is at or above grade level, and secular, they left you order anything you want.

I get a lot of things from Rainbow Resource online. You can sign up and they will send you a catalog for $5. The hard copy catalog is HUGE like a phone book! If you order, they give you a $5 credit on your order. They just couldn't front the cost of all these books going out and not ordering.
ncstress
by Helping Hands on May. 22, 2015 at 9:00 AM
We use a free math program. You can print out or do from a computer or if you have an iPad there is an app. http://www.cimt.plymouth.ac.uk/projects/mep/default.htm
barbie_girl870
by Welcome Squad on May. 22, 2015 at 8:22 PM
My son is also autistic in my state u have to have a approved curriculum. And we do I just incorporate other things into it. The main thing I have learned with Michael is to focus on his interests and include that into every thing.
haymama
by Testing the waters on May. 24, 2015 at 6:44 PM
Can you tell us what state your in that way some may be able to give more specific help?
Join me @ Northwest Mamas
phoenix7
by on May. 26, 2015 at 1:36 PM

i use accelerated christian education and i really like it

"hippy" mamma to lots of lovies

JKronrod
by Welcome Squad on May. 30, 2015 at 1:21 AM

What is your "style"?  Are you religious?  Do you tend to like (or does your son need) a highly organized environment?  What state are you in?  Are you looking to do college prep? There are a lot of options and requirements out there, but you have to start with recognizing what is likely to work for you and where you want your son to go.  

No matter which direction you head, you don't need a lot of supplies -- at least not initially (if you are doing science for college prep, there may be more expenses) -- especially if you have a decent library nearby and access to the internet.  

I'd start with the requirements for your state.  You'll have to meet those under any circumstances.

Then you might look online and check out various "ways" of home schooling.  I'm most familiar with Classical (you might search on the Well Trained Mind), but I'm sure that the folks on this site can suggest others.  

Once you have an idea of general approach and what you must do, it will be easier to figure out what you need to do for the "details" of the curriculum, where you can cut costs, etc. 

Oddyssey
by Welcome Squad on May. 31, 2015 at 8:33 AM

I've been searching out free curriculums myself (I have a 2 & 4 yr old) but I recently came across this site that's good for all ages.  I sent in my request and I'm waiting.  I don't have any review of it yet, but since it's free for those in need, I thought I'd share it.  http://www.thebooksamaritan.com/

tracykelly79
by Welcome Squad on Jun. 26, 2015 at 12:16 PM

Depending on the laws for your state, you could always build your own. We are on a tight budget, so I normally just do tons of research on what they need to learn for their grade levels, make out a lesson plan, and go searching! It is alot  of work, but it can be done for cheap! Try your Goodwill! I posted a blog entry on my recent finds. I also VLOG about how to set up your own curriculum, if you don't know where to start. There are also many other blogs and videos out there that you can check out. You can check out my blog and videos, I hope they help. I am starting to shop for things now, so I will be posting how I am building my curriculum for this year (Grades 1 and 4) soon!

Best of Luck!

www.homeschoolpower.com

Link to video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHiHLi0xPGQ

MamaDearie
by Welcome Squad on Jun. 27, 2015 at 8:32 AM

I would suggest taking a look at your state laws. Some are more laid back and easier to deal with and some are very specific  (like ours here in NY).  https://www.hslda.org/laws/

I would then take some time to get to know your son's learning style and research curricula that fit his style as well as your goals and beliefs. For struggling math, I can not say enough about Life of Fred. It may not be enough for him as a stand alone but some time spent reading the books and enjoying the fun of it might change his perspective and make him more willing and excited to 'do' math.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)