Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Timberdoodle....Yes, No, Never heard of it

Posted by on Oct. 13, 2016 at 7:40 PM
  • 9 Replies
  • 463 Total Views

What is the general census on it? We will be starting next year, I will be teaching two kids a preschooler and a first grader. I have been searching for a full curriculum and daily lesson plans. To at least give us a good start. This will be our first year homeschooling. So we need a good and easy curriculum. TIA

Also we don't mind faith based curriculums, but don't want one that is completely read this scripture or that scripture. We are spritual but not fully organized religion. 

“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...” 
― Dr. Suess

by on Oct. 13, 2016 at 7:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
msbell428
by Testing the waters on Oct. 13, 2016 at 7:43 PM
1 mom liked this
We used it for 2nd grade. By the third week my son hated it. He was bored to tears. We use Abeka and he likes it much better.
MommaGoosey
by Welcome Squad on Oct. 13, 2016 at 7:47 PM

Is it just not good material? My son is very bright and has ADHD. Routine is great but we need something to challenge him.

Quoting msbell428: We used it for 2nd grade. By the third week my son hated it. He was bored to tears. We use Abeka and he likes it much better.

msbell428
by Testing the waters on Oct. 13, 2016 at 7:52 PM
1 mom liked this
The material was fine, in my opinion. He didn't like the science, it was all one topic and he needs variety. He actually did like history, Story of the World, I think. Math and language arts just kind of jumped around. He couldn't get one concept before they moved into something else. I have heard good things, but for us, it just wasn't a good fit. Sometimes it takes awhile to find what works and what doesn't.

Quoting MommaGoosey:

Is it just not good material? My son is very bright and has ADHD. Routine is great but we need something to challenge him.

Quoting msbell428: We used it for 2nd grade. By the third week my son hated it. He was bored to tears. We use Abeka and he likes it much better.

MommaGoosey
by Welcome Squad on Oct. 13, 2016 at 7:54 PM

I understand. We just want a good base start.

Quoting msbell428: The material was fine, in my opinion. He didn't like the science, it was all one topic and he needs variety. He actually did like history, Story of the World, I think. Math and language arts just kind of jumped around. He couldn't get one concept before they moved into something else. I have heard good things, but for us, it just wasn't a good fit. Sometimes it takes awhile to find what works and what doesn't.
Quoting MommaGoosey:

msbell428
by Testing the waters on Oct. 13, 2016 at 7:56 PM
I understand. It took us awhile to figure out what we needed.

Quoting MommaGoosey:

Quoting msbell428: The material was fine, in my opinion. He didn't like the science, it was all one topic and he needs variety. He actually did like history, Story of the World, I think. Math and language arts just kind of jumped around. He couldn't get one concept before they moved into something else. I have heard good things, but for us, it just wasn't a good fit. Sometimes it takes awhile to find what works and what doesn't.

Quoting MommaGoosey:

MommaGoosey
by Welcome Squad on Oct. 13, 2016 at 7:58 PM
It is a tad overwhelming. That's why we are hoping to have our first year a print this daily type thing

Quoting msbell428: I understand. It took us awhile to figure out what we needed.

Quoting MommaGoosey:

Quoting MommaGoosey:

msbell428
by Testing the waters on Oct. 13, 2016 at 8:02 PM
It can be so overwhelming. When I received our books from Abeka, I opened the boxes and then closed them back up and asked myself "what did I do?!" Lol. It gets easier.

Quoting MommaGoosey: It is a tad overwhelming. That's why we are hoping to have our first year a print this daily type thing

Quoting msbell428: I understand. It took us awhile to figure out what we needed.

Quoting MommaGoosey:

Quoting MommaGoosey:

MommaGoosey
by Welcome Squad on Oct. 13, 2016 at 8:05 PM
Lol. Oh my. We are in virtual school right now. It's okay but I want more flexibility in learning and if we need a break not be tied down.
msbell428
by Testing the waters on Oct. 13, 2016 at 9:15 PM
1 mom liked this
We did the virtual school for the first couple of years. But it was too much. I didn't like the sitting at the computer all day and not being able to work at his pace.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)