Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

*Cooking Around The World*

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2008 at 5:34 PM
  • 14 Replies
  • 1457 Total Views

One of our members started this post as a project for her kids, and it got such unbelievable response we've made it a permanent spot (Thanks 2ndtimearound - Also check out her blog for a compilation fo books and activities mom's gave her as well   !)

Essentially, it's a collection of recipes from each state....lets face it we pretty much span the globe with 5000 members. So we're trying to have at least 1 recipe for each state/Country/Province (whatever).

For those of you new to the homeschooling game: Cooking is a great way to teach many skills. Obviously math (fractions especially) with all the measuring, health (if you try to figure out all the calories and such), and even the younger crowd can learn about following directions and kitchen safety! Not to mention its a fun way to learn the uniqueness of a location your child has never seen and experienced themselves - it makes the location more real to them. So have fun working cooking into your geography lessons. (And even history we once made sour-dough starters and such to learn about the colonial period).

Hugs & Blessings,

Shannon

Health & Wellness, Homeschooling and Earth-Based Spirituality Articles at: http://www.associatedcontent.com/user/123122/kickbuttmama.html

Home Education Blog Site (comprehensive curriculum, blog & links!) http://www.freewebs.com/kickbutthomeeducation/

))O(( For my Complete & Comprehensive Celtic Book Of Shadows:
http://www.freewebs.com/kickbuttcelticbookofshadows/index.htm

by on Jul. 24, 2008 at 5:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KickButtMama
by G.O. Shannon on Jul. 24, 2008 at 5:45 PM

THE A's

luvmybabieskna

by luvmybabieskna on Mar. 10, 2008 at 8:46 AM

How about some peanut brittle from Alabama.

2 cups sugar
1 cup water
1/16 tsp. salt
1/2 lb. of shelled peanuts

Combine sugar, water and salt in a 3 qt. saucepan, stirring until sugar is completely dissolved.  Bring to a boil, cover tightly and boil 3 minutes. Remove cover and continue cooking until syrup takes on a rich caramel color, about 320 degrees. Have peanuts spread out on a 12 1/2 x 19 in. buttered shallow pan. Pour caramel syrup over peanuts and let cool thoroughly before breaking in pieces. Makes about 1 1/2 pounds.

History of the peanut in Alabama:
Alabama was primarily a cotton farming state around the 1890s and early part of the 1900s. There is a beetle called a boll weevil that always took its fair share of the cotton crop. However, one year the boll weevil came in and destroyed all of the cotton fields. Every farmer was destitute. Then George Washington Carver showed farmers how much could be done with the peanut and that it was a relatively easy crop to grow (unlike cotton which has to be babied). So farmers started planting peanuts and it turned out to be the best thing in the world. They made more money, less harm to the land(cotton strips the land of its nutrients whereas peanuts put nitrogen back in the soil), and easier on labor. Peanut farming became a turning point in Alabama and a saving grace for much of our farming industry. The town of Enterprise even erected a statue of the Boll Weevil in the middle of town. The destruction that little critter caused was a boon to the farmers of the area.
Hope this helps, and by the way I don't know if you have studied George Washington Carver much, but he is well worth the study. Most people study Martin Luther King and Rosa Parks and such for black history in America. However, black history started way before they were ever born. George Washington Carver was a brilliant man and so very diverse. He taught farmers about better planting, harvesting, and selling. He taught housewives how to take care of their homes and decorate. He was a pioneer in many of today's methods of food preservation, a brilliant naturalist, and an artist. These are just a few of his accomplishments. He was also homeschooling until he went to the University of Iowa in the 1920s  Have a great day!
cmprice22

by cmprice22 on Mar. 18, 2008 at 4:01 PM

Hi again, Here is the one I had for Alaska. Good Luck
w/ this project!

BAKED ALASKA

1 (8 inch) cake layer (frozen) any flavor
1/2 gallon ice cream, any flavor
6 egg whites
1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
1/2 c. powdered sugar Grease a 7 inch diameter bowl (large enough to hold 1/2 gallon ice cream). Grease the bowl with vegetables cooking spray, butter. Let ice cream soften until it is workable. Pack tightly in the bowl. Return bowl to freezer until it hardens.

When ready to assemble, beat egg whites until foamy. Add tartar and whip until stiff. Gently fold in powdered sugar a little at a time.

Place frozen layer cake on a plate slightly larger than the cake. Unmold the ice cream centering it on the cake. Do not trim the cake. Frost cake and ice cream with meringue, covering completely.

Bake in preheated at 450 degrees for 6-7 minutes until meringue peaks are golden.

Store in freezer until serving time. Baked Alaska is delicious plain, or you could use fudge, strawberry, or your favorite topping.

mommakat29

by mommakat29 on Mar. 18, 2008 at 9:35 PM

I live in Arkansas. Chocolate gravy is a big thing here. It's pretty unique so I thought it would be a good one for you guys to do. Good idea btw!

1 cup sugar
2 tbs real butter
1 1/2 cups milk
2 tbs flour
3 tbs cocoa powder
pinch of salt

Mix sugar, flour, salt and cocoa together in a small sauce pan with a wisk.
stir in milk. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture thickens. Take off heat and stir in butter. Serve over biscuits. Enjoy!

Peace is contagious. Seemingly innocuous scattered outbreaks can spark a chain
reaction leading to a world-wide epidemic of cataclysmic proportions. - John Price

Meshell40

by Meshell40 on Mar. 20, 2008 at 7:17 PM

Sounds like fun!
I live in AZ and here is a recipe my kids just love!
I crock pot chicken breasts (boneless) with diced tomatoes (canned is fine or you may use Rotel instead), green chiles, a dash of taco seasoning or chili powder to your taste, and onions. After the chicken is cooked, I break it apart in chunks and add corn, black beans (rinsed), and heat through. It makes a wonderful stew if you crumble tortilla chips on top with cheese. Or I mix a block of cream cheese to make it creamy. You can also put it in crunchy taco shells with cheese on top for tacos or use it in enchiladas.
Enjoy!
fox252000

by fox252000 on Jun. 16, 2008 at 11:31 AM

A fun one in AZ~~~~~

Tortilla Burgers

Serves 6

6 burrito size tortillas
6 pre-formed ground beef patties (grill them or fry them)
6 oz shredded monterey jack cheese (or other fav. cheese)
Salsa
burger toppings~ lettuce, tomato, onion, pickles,mustard, mayo, ketchup, etc.

Place the cooked pattie on one half of the warmed tortilla. Top with cheese, salsa, and any other toppings you like. Fold the tortilla over an then fold the sides to make a pouch. NO DRIPS!!
KickButtMama
by G.O. Shannon on Jul. 25, 2008 at 2:14 PM

THE C's

KickButtMama

You wrote on Mar. 11, 2008 at 8:57 AM

Connecticut (where I live) is the home of the first Hamburger....the first 'fast food' hamburger was made in New Haven! So you could always make the staple burger and fries as the Connecticut recepie....of course for Maine that would be Lobster, Mass would be clam chowder....etc...

To make CT burgers -

take 1 lb of ground beef,mix in a bowl with bread crumbs, onion powder, 1 eggs. Separate it into 4th's, use hands to roll into a ball then flatten. Grill until cooked through.

We also love Sweet Potato French Fries up here.....take a sweet potato and wash it. Slice it into thin strips. Drop in a pot of simmering oil for about 1 minute until cooked through - dry on a paper towel.

and here's another from CT
CONNECTICUT Yankee Doodle Noodle Salad

12 ounces ziti rigati macaroni, cooked (about 4 1/4 cups)
2 1-ounce packages turkey jerky, cut into small bite size pieces
1 large red onion, thinly sliced
1 large bunch red radishes, trimmed and sliced
1 cup fresh corn kernels, blanched (or 1 cup canned kernel corn, drained)
2/3 cup Ranch style dressing
1/2 7-ounce package puffed cheese snacks (about 1-1/2 cups)
1/2 6-ounce package sour cream and onion-flavored potato chips (or BBQ)
flavor, slightly crushed. 6 servings.
12 cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered (depending on size)

Toss together cooked macaroni, turkey jerky, onion, radishes and corn. Mix
with 1/2 cup of the ranch dressing. Fold in puffed cheese snacks. Scoop into
an attractive salad bowl or into individual salad bowls. Drizzle with
remaining ranch dressing. Top with potato chips. Garnish with a ring of
cherry tomatoes. Reserve remaining puffed cheese snacks and potato chips.

EliAndSkyesMom

by EliAndSkyesMom on Mar. 11, 2008 at 6:18 PM

I live on the Central Coast of CA and one of the things that is famous from around here is Santa Maria style bbq. Along with it you could study the wild west which is a big part of the culture/history. Anyways, I found this recipe online.

2 (3-pound) tri-tip roasts
Basting Sauce, recipe follows
Seasoning Salt Mixture, recipe follows
Heat a grill to low.

Coat both sides of the tri-tips with half of the seasoning mixture, rubbing it in as you would a dry rub. Let rest for 30 minutes at room temperature. Place the tri-tips over a low temperature fire, 1 with fat side up, and the other with fat side down. Turn as the first side gets crispy, approximately 6 to 8 minutes. Be careful of flare-ups, as the dripping fat will fuel the fire. Turn the tri-tips before the heat pushes juices out the top, and continue to turn using this timing method throughout the cooking process. After turning, baste with sauce and season lightly, 4 times per side. Continue turning until the tri-tips are cooked to your liking. Remove from fire and let rest for 10 minutes before cutting into 1/2-inch slices against the grain.

Seasoning Salt Mixture:
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons white pepper
2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon onion powder
4 tablespoons granulated garlic
6 tablespoons salt
Mix together all ingredients in a small bowl.

Basting Sauce:
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1/2 cup garlic-infused vegetable oil
Whisk together vinegar and oil in a small bowl.
Phoedra

by Phoedra on Mar. 26, 2008 at 12:06 AM

We make this when we go camping. I am from Colorado.

Potato Bacon Bake

1 big piece Tin Foil per person
Potato for each person
1 slice bacon per person
Chopped onion (opt)

Wash and slice potatoes in a square of foil. Add onion and bacon. You may dice the bacon if you wish. Make a packet by folding up the edges and sealing. Place on a cookie sheet and bake at 350 until potatoes are done.  About 1 to 1.5 hrs. (I live at 10,000 ft and it usually takes about 1.5 to 2 hrs to bake).   If you want to do this while camping, double foil in packets and place in a hole in the ashes. It takes about 3-4 hrs to cook this way. ENJOY!   
KickButtMama
by G.O. Shannon on Jul. 25, 2008 at 2:25 PM

THE D's & F's

2ndtimearound

by 2ndtimearound on Mar. 27, 2008 at 7:42 AM

Ok.  I have now gotten some time to my hands where I can dig a little myself! LOL

I started digging around for the states we don't have yet, and, using links provided in this post (thanks guys!)for reference to state specific foods, I have come up with the following:

Deleware--Crab Puffs

NGREDIENTS

• 1 quart oil for deep frying
  • 1 pound cooked crabmeat
  • 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
  • 2 teaspoons garlic salt
  • 2 (16 ounce) packages small won ton wrappers

DIRECTIONS

1. Heat oil in large, heavy saucepan to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
  2. In a medium bowl, mix together cooked crabmeat, cream cheese and garlic salt.
  3. Roll a small amount of the crabmeat mixture inside each won ton wrapper and seal.
  4. In small batches, carefully place won tons into the hot oil. Fry 2 to 3 minutes, until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
Will post more as I find them

Thanks again guys!

Also, if we have any other great ideas to add to this post...not just recipes, let's keep it flowing with that!

Right now, I plan on finding a wall map of US, taking pictures of the foods we make, printing them off on sticker printer paper and sticking on the map as a fun way of keeping track of the states we have cooked from! 

I also found a great "50 States Stickers" book at Books-A-Million yesterday (which BTW, I am dearly in love with now!! LOL)

Thanks again guys!
KaidaMidnight

by KaidaMidnight on Mar. 17, 2008 at 10:19 AM

I grew up in Florida, so I have a recipe for that one too...

FLORIDA

Liquid Sunshine Soup

• 1 onion
  • 1 cup of red lentils
  • 1 cup chopped mushrooms (optional)
  • 1 butternut squash (or one can pumpkin puree)
  • 1 cup orange juice
  • juice of one lemon (optional)
  • 2 tsp sugar (optional)
  • veggie broth (1 1/2 cups or so)
  • 1/2 tsp cumin
  • 1/2 tsp coriander
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 3/4 tsp powdered ginger
  • 1/2 tsp powdered mustard
  • cayenne to taste
  • salt to taste

Roast the squash by cutting in half, removing seeds and stringy membrane, place cut side down on baking sheet, pierce skin with a fork a few times, cook at 350 for 40 minutes or until soft.

Chop onions and carmelize in a soup pot. Add broth as needed. (When onions are done put in mushrooms and saute until liquid is released and cooked down.)

Rinse lentils. For quicker soup soak them in the broth.

Scoop squash flesh away from skin and puree with orange juice.

After onions are carmelized (and mushrooms are done) dump all ingredients into the onion cooking pot. Simmer gently until lentils are cooked. If using the squash you may wish to add onion juice to cut the sweetness, if using canned pumpkin you may wish to add sugar to add to the sweetness

Mel40

by Mel40 on Mar. 19, 2008 at 7:44 PM

Hey there.  We are in Florida so here's a recipe from our state.  I actually got it out of the book we're using called, Eat Your Way Through The USA! 

Key West Grouper
1/4 cup Teriyaki sauce
1/2 tsp. grated lime peel
1 Tbs. ORange Juice
2 tsp. lime juice
4 grouper filets

Combine first 4 ingredients; pour over fish in large plastic bag.  PRess air out of bag; close top securely.  Refrigerate for 45-60 minutes; turn bag over occasionally.  Reserve marinade.

Cook fish on grill 4 inches from hot coals for 4 minutes.  Turn fish over; brush with reserved marinade.  Cook 3-4 minutes longer, or until fish flakes easily with fork.  Sprinkle with Parsley.
OR
Broil fish 4-5 incheces from heat 4 minutes.  Turn fish over; brush with reserved marinade.  Broil 3-4 minutes longer, or until fish flakes easily with a fork.

Seminole Citrus Drink

1 fresh orange
1 fresh lemon
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup sugar or honey

Sqeeze the juice from the fruit into a large messuring cup or small bowl.
Add the water and suger or honey
Pour into 2 classes filled with Ice.

Key Lime Pie

4 eggs lightly beaten
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup key lime juice
dash of salt
1/2 cup butter, softened
gram cracker crust
whipped cream

Combine eggs, sugar, lime juice, and salt in a double boiler.

Once water in bottom pot is boiling, reduce heat to low.  Cook, wisking constantly until thickened.

Add butter, cook, whisking constantly until butter melts and mixture thickens.

Pour into crust

Bake at 300 degrees for 20 minutes or until s.

Cover and chill for several hours.

Serve with whipped cream.

Mother to the THREE Superkids,
Becky 24, Max 14 and Sam 9

KickButtMama
by G.O. Shannon on Jul. 25, 2008 at 2:38 PM

THE G's & H's

mamak57

by mamak57 on Mar. 17, 2008 at 10:06 AM

I got this recipe from a page about the Geechee Gullah traditions of teh georgia sea islands. YOu can subsitute any ingredidient you like and make it to fit your family taste. It is a big hit at block parties and potlucks. to increase amout of servings on a budget just add more rice. these sea island of the Georgia Coast were a melting pot of African slaves and thier culture from the old country. very intersting american history.
here goes. have fun:

Ingredients:
3 pounds cooked fresh seafood (shrimp, scallops, oysters, clams, whatever you want)
1 cup cooked rice
Sauté in butter:
1/2 cup chopped bell pepper (whatever color you can get)
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped Vidalia onion
3/4 cup sour cream
1 can Cream of mushroom soup

1 cup cream (I use Pet Milk)
1 cup mayonnaise
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
White pepper (to taste)

Directions:
Cook seafood, etc. in boiling water . Sautee peppers, onions, and mushrooms until tender. Toss all ingredients together and put in buttered baking dish. Cook at 375 degrees F, uncovered for 30-40 minutes or until heated through.

Serves 8.

p.s.- bird'seye makes a pepper steak veggie mix that gives you three differant color peppers and onions. they are frozen so ya don't have to sautee them

wihomeschoolmom

by wihomeschoolmom on Mar. 15, 2008 at 4:42 PM

Hawaiian Recipe for You - We use to live next door to a family and the mom was from Hawaii. She gave me this recipe for her mothers Pineapple Bread which she made and I loved. She said if you didn't like dates you omit them.

Pineapple Bread

3/4 Cup Sugar
1/4 Teaspoon Baking Soda
2 1/4 Teaspoon Baking Powder
3/4 Teaspoon Salt
2 3/4 cup All purpose flour

1 Egg
1/3 cup Milk
1/3 Butter, Melted
1 cup of Crushed Pineapple in Juice
1 Cup of Pecans, chopped
1Cups Dates,chopped

Beat egg; add milk, butter, pineapple, nuts and dates.

Blend dry ingredients and add to fruit and nut mixture.

Bake in 9" x 5" x 3" loaf pan, which has been greased and floured.

Bake in 350 degrees oven for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
jjmloper

by jjmloper on Apr. 9, 2008 at 12:06 AM

Thats a great idea.  I dont have time to go through all of them right now but if you havent already got this one you should try Loco Moco.  Its a Hawaiian specialty.  I lived there for a while and this is what all the guys got at the gas station before work(my dad is a contractor).  Its done differently in other parts of the country but they do it with fried spam or a hamburger patty.  Here is info on it:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loco_Moco
hibicent
by Testing the waters on Jul. 25, 2008 at 4:13 PM

I have a recipe from my birthplace, Greece.  It is a soup that is well loved in my home, Manestra. Its really a domatosoupa  or tomato soup.

It is made primarily from a vegetable base and the ingredients are few, :

1/3 cup olive oil

1 large onion , finely chopped

4 large cloves garlic, minced or pressed

2 tsp chopped oregano (fresh preferably) but dried oregano works too

2 1/2 pounds ripe tomatoes chopped into 1/4 to 1/2 inch pieces

1 1/2 tsp salt

2 quarts water

1/3 cup orzo ( if you can't find orzo in your grocery, rice works too, not as well but it will do)

1/3 cup grated kefalotyri (or parmesan) cheese

Heat the oil in a large heavy nonreactive pot over med high heat, add onion, garlic and oregano and saute until  the onion wilts, about 5 minutes

stir in the tomatoes and saute until they collapse, about ten minutes

add the salt and the water and bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the tomatoes are very soft and  the liquid is deep brownish red, about 40 minutes

add the orzo and simmer until it is tender, about 5 minutes

Ladle the soup into individual  bowls, sprinkle on a generous amount of cheese and serve right away.

I always serve with some Greek bread (similar to Italian) that I cut in half lengthwise, lather with olive oil, garlic salt  a few slice of tomatoes and toast in the oven until lightly browned.

I never have any left over, hope your families enjoy it as much as mine does!

KickButtMama
by G.O. Shannon on Jul. 25, 2008 at 8:54 PM

THE I's

craftymommy

by craftymommy on Mar. 10, 2008 at 4:01 AM

I think this is an awesome idea! I hope everyone pitches in and makes this a fun topic. It would be really neat to make a popular dish from every state while doing history about the state. Please do post the list you come up with, or let us know where to look for it.
I live in Illinois. I'm not sure the history behind it, but a popular dish here is a Horseshoe. (Atleast when I have lived in other states, no one had heard of it.)

Horseshoe
2 pieces of bread on a plate (side by side)
2 hamburger patties on top of the pieces of bread (one on each)
cover the bread and hamburger  with french fries
cover over all that w/your favorite cheese sauce (cheddar chesse soup or I like the campbell's mexican fiesta cheese in a can)

And yes, it is HUGE.
If you don't want that much, you can just make a pony shoe, which is all I ever eat, just split it all in half.
1 piece of bread
1 burger patty on the bread
fries on top
cheese over all of it.

It's very yummy! (and very fattening-but worth it once in a while.)
melmilkmaid

by melmilkmaid on Mar. 14, 2008 at 8:01 PM

HEy! I am in Idaho and  we use a lot of "campfire recipes" up here, because we do a lot of Camping ; )

This one is really fun and super yummy!
Roundabouts
  • Biscuit Mix
  • Milk or Water
  • Honey, Peanut Butter, Jelly, Cinnamon & Sugar, or ????

Directions:
Follow the directions on the biscuit mix using a little less liquid than called for. Twist the dough roundabout the end of a green stick. Turn the stick slowly over hot coals of fire until brown. Dip into your favorite topping and enjoy!

If you really want to go with a true North Idaho style cooking, it would probably be either Game meat or fresh fish that you would be cooking over the campfire. If you have the resources or desire here is a good recipe for you...

The BEST Fried Fresh Fish EVER!
  • Boneless Fish Fillets
  • White Corn Meal
  • Peanut Oil (enough to cover fillets completely)
  • Salt & Pepper

Directions:
Pre-heat peanut oil to "smoking hot", about 350+ degrees. Fillet fish and remove skin, thoroughly wash off the "slime" on the meat. Lay on foil, wax paper, etc. and sprinkle with generous amount of salt & pepper on BOTH sides. Drop into a bag of white corn meal and shake to cover meat. Drop into fryer or pan containing peanut oil and let cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until golden (DON'T overcook). Remove, let drip-drain, then sprinkle just a little more salt on both sides....ENJOY!! The secret to the great tasting fish is in making sure they're cleaned good before cooking, AND the peanut oil!

Comments:
I can guarantee you, this will be the best tasting fresh fish you've ever had! By washing the fillets between your hands until the "slimey" feeling is gone from the meat, it removes a lot of the strong "fishy" taste, but leaves enough to enjoy. The meat is flakey and incredibly good.

ENJOY!!!!

I make money at home, You can too! It's 100% free and easy!

KKellyS

by KKellyS on Mar. 15, 2008 at 2:46 AM

We're real big on beans here in Indiana.

Hoosier Bean Soup
1 lb Navy beans

6 c Water

1 ts Salt

1/2 lb Ham hock

1 ts Butter

1/2 c Onion, diced

1/4 c Celery, diced

Salt and pepper to taste Measure beans and water into a deep kettle; let stand overnight or 6 to 8 hours. Add salt and ham hock. Cover, bring to a boil; then simmer until the beans are tender. About 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Melt butter in a small skillet and saute onion over medium heat until light brown. Stir into soup. Add salt and pepper.

Hoosier Baked Beans

1 gallon prepared baked beans
1 extra large yellow onion, chopped fine
12 ounces dark brown sugar
1/2 cup yellow mustard
1 3/4 cups ketchup, plus more for garnish 

salt
Pepper
5 strips uncooked bacon

Preheat oven to 360 degrees F.

Combine beans, onions, brown sugar, mustard, ketchup, salt, and pepper in a large baking dish. Lay bacon strips across top of beans. Squirt ketchup in a zig-zag pattern across the top of beans and bacon. Bake, uncovered, for 1 hour and 45 minutes.

KickButtMama
by G.O. Shannon on Jul. 25, 2008 at 8:59 PM

THE K's & L's 

housefly

by housefly on Mar. 10, 2008 at 8:55 AM

okay, so this isn't the most exciting food, but Kansas is the wheat state.

100% Whole Wheat Bread

1 cup warm (110°-115°F) milk
2 packages active dry yeast
1 cup warm (110°-115°F) water
1/3 cup honey
6-7 cups whole wheat flour
2 eggs
2 tsps. salt
1/4 cup shortening

Scald milk by heating until tiny bubbles form around edge of pan and milk reaches 180°F. Cool to desired temperature. Or, to save time, use 1/3 cup dry milk and enough warm water to make 1 cup of liquid.
In large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Beat in warm milk, honey, 3 cups flour and eggs. Beat 3 minutes on medium mixer speed. Cover bowl and let sponge rest 20 to 30 minutes.
Mix in salt and enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. If using a dough hook, add shortening and mix 10 minutes. If kneading by hand, knead 10 to 15 minutes, gradually kneading in the shortening until dough is smooth and elastic.
Place dough in a lightly greased bowl, turning once to coat. Let rise in a warm (80°F) place until doubled. Punch down and let rise again until doubled.
Punch down; divide in half. Let dough rest 10 minutes while greasing two 9 x 5-inch bread pans. Shape by rolling each half into a 14 x 7-inch rectangles. Starting with short side, roll up tightly, pinching edges and ends to seal. Place in pans, cover with a damp cloth, and let rise in a warm (90°F) place until doubled.
Bake in a preheated 400°F oven 10 minutes, then reduce heat to 375°F and bake 25 to 30 minutes more. Remove from pans and cool on wire racks.
Nutrients: One 1-ounce serving provides 105 calories, 4 g protein, 18 g carbohydrates, 3 g fiber, 3 g fat, 14 mg cholesterol and 143 mg sodium.

RobinF

by RobinF on Jun. 12, 2008 at 10:23 PM

What a fabulous idea!!!  I live in Indiana now, but I grew up in Owensboro, KY the BURGOO CAPITAL OF THE WORLD!!!  LOL  Here is a burgoo recipe.

Many regional versions of this soup are thick enough to stand your spoon in.  This recipe is designed to be a lighter first course soup. Its history dates back to before the civil war and is a favorite at Kentucky Derby time.

INGREDIENTS:

• 1 pound mixed cooked meats (beef, lamb, pork, chicken, game, etc.)
  • 1/2 gallon chicken stock
  • 1/2 gallon beef stock
  • 1 ounce Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 cup tomatoes, diced
  • 1 large onion, diced
  • 1 stalk celery, diced
  • 1 small green bell pepper, diced
  • 1 large potato, diced
  • 2 large carrots, diced
  • 1/4 cup peas
  • 1/2 cup okra
  • 1/4 cup lima beans
  • 1/2 cup yellow corn
  • 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
  • salt and pepper to taste

PREPARATION:

Combine all ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 2 hours, skimming the top as needed.
peanutsmom323

by peanutsmom323 on Mar. 10, 2008 at 6:47 PM

I'm in Louisiana, so I thought I'd find you a gumbo recipe. I haven't tried it, so don't blame me if it's bad! J/k. It sounds pretty good actually.

1/3 cup + 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 cup all purpose flour
2 celery stalks, chopped
2 garlic cloves, pressed
1 green pepper, chopped
1 medium sized onion, chopped
2 cans (14.5 oz.) chicken broth
1 can (14.5 oz) beef broth
1 lb. boneless,skinless chicken thighs
1/2 lb. chorizo sausage, cut into 1/4-inch rounds
1/2 cup loosely packed parsley leaves, chopped
1 Tablespoon minced fresh thyme
1 Tablespoon minced fresh sage leaves
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
1 lb. medium shrimp, shelled & deveined
1 cup long grain rice, cooked as directed on the package

Insturctions:

In a large soup pot, heat oil over med-low heat. Gradually stir in flour, and cook, stirring, until mixture is dark brown ~ about 15 minutes.

Mix the broth in slowly and blend until smooth.

At the same time you start the roux start to cook the vegetables: In a non-stick skillet, over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of oil and heat until hot.

Add celery, garlic, green pepper, and onion and cook until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.

To the roux-thickened broth add the stewed tomatoes, chicken, chorizo, herbs, salt, black pepper and the vegetables.

Add 4 cups of dark beer or water and heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered for 40 minutes. Skim off any fat that comes to the surface.

Add the shrimp and cook, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until the shrimp turn opaque.

RobinF

I also have lived in Texas and Louisiana (DH is retired Army and works for the gov't).  Here are some recipes from those places too, if you would like.

Creole Jambalaya (Louisiana)

3/4 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/4 cup chopped green pepper
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 Tbsp. butter or margarine
2 cups cubed, fully cooked ham
1 can (28 oz) diced tomatoes
1 can (10-1/2 oz) condensed beef broth
1 cup uncooked long grain white rice
1 cup water
1 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 tsp. pepper
1-1/2 pounds fresh or frozed uncooked shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley

In a Dutch oven, saute onion, celery, green pepper and garlic in butter until tender.  Add next 9 ingredients; bring to a boil.  Reduce heat; cover and simmer until rice is tender, about 25 minutes.  Add shrimp and parsley; simmer, uncovered, until shrimp are cooked, 7-10 minutes
KickButtMama
by G.O. Shannon on Jul. 25, 2008 at 9:08 PM

THE M's

Allie01

by Allie01 on Mar. 9, 2008 at 11:10 PM

I live in lower Michigan but a huge traditional recipe for the upper peninsula is the pasty. I have never actually made them myself but I found a recipe online so I will give you the website.
http://www.hu.mtu.edu/vup/pasty/recipes.htm
Allie01

by Allie01 on Mar. 9, 2008 at 11:29 PM

Mackinac Island Fudge

1/2 cup milk

1/2 cup butter

1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar

1/2 cup granulated sugar

1/8 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

2 cups confectioners' sugar

1/2 cup nuts (optional)

Mix milk, butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar and salt in heavy pan. Cook at medium heat until boiling. Boil exactly 6 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and add vanilla extract and confectioners' sugar. Beat with mixer until smooth and thick. Add nuts, if desired. Pour into a buttered pan and freeze 20 minutes. Cut into pieces.

Makes approximately 1 pound of fudge.

Peanut Butter Mackinac Island Fudge
Reduce butter to 1/4 cup and add 1/2 cup peanut butter.

Chocolate Mackinac Island Fudge
Use basic recipe, adding 1/2 cup cocoa with the confectioners' sugar.

cmprice22

by cmprice22 on Mar. 16, 2008 at 8:36 PM

For Montana there isn't much there. I found out Evil Kanieval (sp?) is from Montana.
Montana has a wide variety of berries: huckleberries, blackberries, raspberries, and strawberries.

INGREDIENTS:

• 1 (3-3/4 oz) package instant vanilla flavored pudding mix
  • 1-1/4 cups cold milk
  • 1 tablespoon frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
  • 1 (8 oz) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
  • Berries

PREPARATION:

1. In a mixing bowl, stir pudding into milk. Beat slowly for one minute. Add whipped topping. Beat slowly one minute longer, blending in orange juice.
  2. Slowly stir in berries.
  3. Refrigerate in covered container until ready to serve.
  4. When ready to serve, add more berries to the top the of desert.

I also, have a recipe from Alaska for you, but have to get going to church. I will post it later. Jewel, the singer is a famous person from alaska.

thehippiemama

by thehippiemama on Mar. 16, 2008 at 8:44 PM

Here is one for Missouri.  I think this is a great project.

Springfield Style Cashew Chicken

INGREDIENTS

• 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 5 tablespoons cornstarch, divided
  • 3 eggs, beaten
  • 2 cups peanut oil for frying
  • 2 cups chicken broth
  • 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
  • 1 tablespoon white sugar
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 1 teaspoon ground white pepper
  • 2 tablespoons chopped green onion for topping
  • 2 cups cashew halves

DIRECTIONS

1. Cut the chicken breasts into 1 inch pieces. In a shallow dish or bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda and 1 tablespoon of the cornstarch. In another dish or bowl beat the eggs. Dip chicken pieces into flour mixture, then eggs, then flour mixture again. Heat peanut oil in a large skillet and deep fry coated chicken in hot oil for 3 to 4 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
  2. Meanwhile (while frying chicken), heat broth to boiling in a medium saucepan. Add oyster sauce, sugar, soy sauce and white pepper. Mix remaining 4 tablespoons cornstarch with a small amount of cold water in a cup. Stir cornstarch mixture slowly into broth mixture to thicken, then cook for another 5 minutes over medium-low heat.
  3. Preheat oven to 200 degrees F (95 degrees C). Heat cashew nuts and chopped green onions in preheated oven for about 5 minutes. Pour sauce over fried chicken and top with cashews and green onion. Serve with soy sauce to taste over a bed of fried rice, if desired.

Andrea

KaidaMidnight

by KaidaMidnight on Mar. 17, 2008 at 10:13 AM

Mississippi Here! :) And if it's one thing we got, it's MUD... so here's our recipe. :D

Mississippi mud pie with ice cream and fudge sauce.

INGREDIENTS:

• 2 pints vanilla ice cream
  • 2 tablespoons bourbon or a flavored syrup (DaVinci type), such as vanilla or Kahlua flavor
  • 1 chocolate-cookie crumb crust or graham cracker crust
  • fudge sauce (recipe follows)
  • 1/2 cup chopped pecans
  • 2 pints coffee ice cream
  • sweetened whipped cream or purchased whipped topping

PREPARATION:

Soften the vanilla ice cream in the refrigerator for about 20 minutes, then spread it evenly in the prepared crust. Top with half the bourbon fudge and half the pecans and freeze for about an hour. Soften the coffee ice cream, and spread over the now firm first layer. Mound the coffee ice cream in the center as necessary. Top with the rest of the fudge and pecans. Decorate with whipped cream and cover loosely. Freeze overnight or at least four hours and serve with warm fudge sauce.

Fudge Sauce:

• 4 oz. unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 3/4 cup heavy cream
  • 1/4 cup light corn syrup
  • 2 Tablespoons butter
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 tablespoons bourbon, or use 1 teaspoon vanilla and an extra tablespoon of cream
Combine chocolate, brown sugar, granulated sugar, heavy cream, and corn syrup in a microwaveable bowl and microwave about 3 minutes, whisking every 30 to 60 seconds. When the mixture has thickened somewhat, whisk in last three ingredients.
nikki0522

by nikki0522 on Jul. 18, 2008 at 8:52 PM

Hello from Massachusetts! How about some Boston Baked Beans!!

INGREDIENTS
  • 2 cups navy beans
  • 1/2 pound bacon
  • 1 onion, finely diced
  • 3 tablespoons molasses
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
  • 1/2 cup ketchup
  • 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar

DIRECTIONS

1. Soak beans overnight in cold water. Simmer the beans in the same water until tender, approximately 1 to 2 hours. Drain and reserve the liquid.
  2. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
  3. Arrange the beans in a 2 quart bean pot or casserole dish by placing a portion of the beans in the bottom of dish, and layering them with bacon and onion.
  4. In a saucepan, combine molasses, salt, pepper, dry mustard, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce and brown sugar. Bring the mixture to a boil and pour over beans. Pour in just enough of the reserved bean water to cover the beans. Cover the dish with a lid or aluminum foil.
  5. Bake for 3 to 4 hours in the preheated oven, until beans are tender. Remove the lid about halfway through cooking, and add more liquid if necessary to prevent the beans from getting too dry.

momlaughs

by momlaughs on Mar. 12, 2008 at 8:01 AM

My husband is from MN and I lived there for five years.

So here's the MN recipe

Minnesota Wild Rice Soup

Boil one small box of wild rice which takes about 45 minutes to cook and then
drain it. (Save the rice because you will add to soup when you add the water.)
---------------------------------------
In a soup kettle melt one stick of margarine.
Into the melted marg. put
1 clove garlic, chopped
3 TB onions, minced
3 stalks of celery, cut small
3 large carrots, cut small

Cook (but don't brown) on very low about 10 minutes.
Then add one cup of flour.
Stir and cook about two minutes on low, but don't burn.
Then add three quarts of water, ten chicken boullion cubes, the wild rice
that has been cooked and drained earlier,
and two cups of cooked turkey or chicken, diced small.

Simmer on low for at least two hours or put into a crock pot.

When you are ready to serve add a pint of half and half fat free and then allow
the soup to heat up again.

Serve with a few silvered almonds on top for a great texture contrast.

KickButtMama
by G.O. Shannon on Jul. 25, 2008 at 9:14 PM

THE N's

mommy2xp

by mommy2xp on Mar. 10, 2008 at 4:45 PM

ok Nebraska, so kool-aid and the runza sandwhich were both invented in nebraska
  we call them cabbage burgers.  i've never had the second one but it sounds good.  these are from ladies at our church. 

Cabbage Burgers                                           makes 2 dozen

Bread dough:     6½ cup flour                                      2 pkg. yeast

1 tsp.  salt                                          ½ cup sugar

2 eggs                                            1 cup warm milk

1 cup warm water                                 ½ cup oil

Filling:               1 lb. Ground hamburger, browned           5-6 bay leaves

1 small onion, chopped                           2 Tbl. garlic salt

1 head of cabbage, shredded                  salt and pepper to taste

Add yeast and half of the sugar to the water and let proof for 5 min.  In large bowl, mix eggs, milk, salt, 2 cup flour, oil and remaining sugar.  Add yeast mixture and mil until smooth.  Add in rest of flour as needed to make smooth dough.  Knead for 5 minutes.  Place in greased bowl and let raise 1 hour, covered and in warm place.  Punch down and shape into balls, roll our until about 1/8" thick.  Preheat oven to 375°.

While dough is rising, combine browned hamburger, bay leaves, onion, garlic salt, salt and pepper.  Simmer for 20 minutes.  In large kettle steam the cabbage, (make sure the water doesn't touch the cabbage).  After the cabbage is done, (slightly crunchy) mix it with the hamburger after taking out the bay leaves.  Spoon filling into middle of each individual bread.  Fold corners up and pinch together.  Flip upside down and place on cookie sheet.  Bake for approximately 15 minutes. 

Kaylee Ridgeway

Runza Casserole

2 lbs. Hamburger                                                   2/3 cup Pet milk

¼ cup catsup or a little mo                                    1 box Stove Top dressing (chicken flavor)

1 can cream of Chicken soup                

Prepare dressing according to package directions. 

Mix together hamburger, milk, and catsup.  Divide into 12 balls.  Place on long sheet of wax paper.  Flatten to patties, put 1 Tbl. Dressing mixture on each patty, (use until all gone).  Wrap meat around the dressing.  Put in a 9x13 pan. 

Mix soup and ½ can water, pour over meatballs.  Bake at 350° for 1 hour or a little longer. 

Eunice Eirich

CyndiG

by CyndiG on Mar. 11, 2008 at 9:15 AM

I'm a southern girl from NC...whenever I think of home I think of Gravy N' Biscuits for breakfast! Yum Yum!!

Cook bacon and save the grease.

Gravy
2-4 TBLS of bacon grease
2-3 TBLS of all purpose flour.
Salt and Pepper
Milk
Mix flour and grease in hot pan. Cook for just a minute until the mixture starts to brown. Add Salt and Pepper. Slowly pour in the milk stirring constantly until it's the consistency you like. (some like it thick, some thin, it's up to you.) Let it cook on about medium heat stirring occasionally for about 10 minutes. Reduce heat and simmer until ready to eat. It will thicken as it cooks. If it gets too thick just add some more milk and reheat.

I can never make biscuits good so I cheat and use frozen Pillsbury! LOL! Either crumble the biscuit up or just break it in half and pour the gravy all over it. Fry up a few eggs on the side with the bacon and YUM YUM!

mountainview66

by mountainview66 on Mar. 19, 2008 at 7:58 PM

Here is one from New Mexico:

Biscochitos
Recipe courtesy Mary Cordova
Show:  FoodNation With Bobby Flay
Episode:  Albuquerque
6 cups flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 pound lard (a must, no substitutes)
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons anise seed
2 eggs
1/2 cup sweet table wine
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon cinnamon
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Sift flour, baking powder, and salt. Cream the lard with sugar and anise seed on medium speed. In a separate bowl. beat eggs until light and fluffy. Add beaten eggs to creamed mixture. Mix together well, adding wine to form a stiff-like dough, add more wine, if necessary.

Refrigerate dough overnight.

Remove dough from refrigerator and let stand for a while, until dough is soft enough to roll. Divide dough in quarters and roll to about 1/16 to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut with cookie cutter and place on cookie sheet. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until bottom of cookie is golden brown. Remove from oven. In a bowl mix together sugar and cinnamon. Drop baked cookies into sugar and cinnamon mixture and set aside to cool.

Dee1113

by Dee1113 on Mar. 26, 2008 at 7:19 AM

Hi 2ndtimearound

I have been cookin for over 30 years and although my family is originally from Louisiana, I now live in the great state of North Carolina and these Tarheels love their barbecue.  Here a version given to me by one of the Lifelong Learning instructors at WCPSS.  Enjoy!

North Carolina Barbecue Rub

Combine:

2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons coarse salt
2 tablespoons black pepper
1/4 cup paprika 
3 tablespoons cumin
1 tablespoon cayenne (or more if you want more heat)
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1/2 tablspoon onion powder
and the secret ingredient: 3 tablespoons southern cane syrup (or maple surup or honey)

Enough for 3-4 pounds of meat.

Wash meat and pat dry. Generously rub with above mixture. For extra flavor, marinate in the refrigerator for 3 hours. The key to getting barbecue that's brown on the outside, yet tender and juicy, is to first brown the meat on a hot grill, with the lid off. After browning, close the lid and cook very slowly. If you're preparing a meat with little fat, you might want to wrap it in foil to finish cooking, so it won't dry out....fat really does rule when it comes to barbecue. This rub is great on just about anything: beef roasts or ribs, chicken, salmon, lamb, and any cut of fresh pork.

Don't forget the sides:
Collard Greens with Pickeled Okra
Carrot and Cabbage Cole Slaw
Red Skin Potato Salad
Homemade Canned Corn Relish
Maple Infused Baked Beans
Buttermilk Corn Bread
Southern Pecan Pie and Vanilla Bean Ice Cream

Dee1113

Dee1113 is a writer and cooking instructor living in Cary, North Carolina.  She writes wonderful how-to cookbooks for the everyday food enthusiast and has been cooking for over 30 years. An active member of the Southern Foodways Alliance, an organization dedicated to keeping the diverse food cultures of the American South alive; Cooking with Denay: Recipes for the Novice Cook is Denay's first cookbook.   When Denay is not writing cookbooks she teaches private and group cooking classes for novice and not so novice cooks in her community.

Contact Dee1113 at cookingwithdenay@gmail.com or read her blog at

brannonsmom

by brannonsmom on May. 18, 2008 at 7:09 PM

HI! This is such a good question. I have one for you from Nevada.
GREEN ENCHILADAs

corn tortillas
2 chicken breast
6 tbs veg oil
3 poblano peppers
12 oz mexican creme
1 cup grated parm cheese
1tbs chicken bullion
1 cup water

BLEND: peppers, creme, cheese, water, salt and bulliontill puree
COOK:  chicken till done. Let cool then shred
        In 1 tbs of oil fry up the blendedmix for 3 minutes.

In 5 TBS of oil fry tortillas, one at a time 3 seconds each side; then immerse in blended sauce to cover both sides.

PLace some chicken on tortilla, and roll into a taco, dust with grated parm cheese and eat.

( I always make extra sauce)

If u try these i hope u like them.
theGsmomma

by theGsmomma on Jul. 9, 2008 at 10:56 PM

I am an air force brat and have moved MANY time.  I have loads of recipes.  I now live in Buffalo, New York.  Birthplace of the chicken wing.  We are also very close to Niagara Falls and Canada.  Who would have thought that I love it here.  Background on the Buffalo wing:  It was created at Frank & Teressa's Anchor Bar in 1964.  You can look it up on the Internet for more in depth in the creation.  Wings are so popular that July 29th is officially named Chicken Wing Day.  We also have a Wing festival, with chicken races and all.  The Anchor Bar's recipe for the wings is broken down to wings and their sauce.  This does not help you,  so I have provided a close second and another which is a twist on wings that I enjoy.

Anchor Bar Wings
24 (approx. 4 lbs) chicken wings
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 cups vegetable oil
4 teaspoons butter
2-5 Tablespoons hot pepper sauce (depending on your taste)
1 Tablespoon white vinegar
Blue cheese dressing
celery sticks

Cut off tip of each chicken wing and discard it.  Cut the wing in half (cutting at the joint) to make two pieces.  Wash and dry the chicken wings (they need to be very dry to be fried crisp.)  Sprinkle with salt and pepper.

In a deep fryer or large pot, add vegetable oil and heat to 400 degrees F.  or until the oil starts to pop and sizzle.  (Note: the oil should be able to cover the wings and still maintain the same temperature.)  If using an electric fryer, set the temperature to 425 degrees F.

Add half of the chicken wings and cook 10 to 15 minutes or until golden and crisp, stirring occasionally.  When done, remove from the hot oil and drain on paper towels (do not pile the wings in a bowl, the fat will cool and congeal before it runs off.)  Repeat with remaining chicken wings.

In a large saucepan over med heat, melt butter.  Add hot sauce and vinegar; stir well and remove from heat immediately.  Add drained and cooled chicken wings and mix together.  Using tongs, take chicken wings out of sauce and let the excess sauce drain off.  (at this point my husband can not wait but the rest goes like this)  Place the wings on a hot grill or in a 350 degree oven for 2-3 minutes to bake in the sauce.  Serve with Blue cheese dressing and celery sticks.

Mahogany Chicken Wings
3 lbs chicken wings, split and tips discarded
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup molasses
2 Tablespoons chile sauce
1 tsp ground ginger
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped

Place chicken in a shallow, medium dish

In a medium bowl, mix soy sauce, honey, molasses, chile sauce, ground ginger and garlic.  Pour the mixture over the chicken.  Cover and refrigerate approx. 1 hour, turning occasionally.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

In a large baking dish, arrange chicken in a single layer.  Bake in the preheated oven approx. 50 minutes, brushing with remaining soy sauce mixture often and turning once, until meat is no longer pink and juices run clear.  (YUMMMMM)

Now, my family comes from Pennsylvania Dutch country.  I grew up eating Shoofly pie.  I am assuming that the name of this pie came from shooing the flies away.  This is a wet bottom pie.  That means the bottom of the pie is gooey and very dark.  It is my dad's favorite.  I know you have something from PA but I thought you would like this as well.

Shoofly Pie
1/2 cup molasses
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup boiling water
1 pinch salt
1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
3/4 cup butter
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon

1 (9 inch) unbaked pie crust

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F

In a medium bowl, dissolve the soda in the molasses and stir until it foams.  Stir in the boiling water and pinch of salt.  In a separate bowl mix the flour, cinnamon, brown sugar and butter into crumbs.

Pour 1/3 of the molasses mixture into the unbaked crust.  Sprinkle 1/3 of the crumbs over the molasses layer and continue alternating layers, finishing with the crumbs on top.  (Will be full but don't worry if you have crumbs left over)

Bake in a preheated oven for 30-40 minutes, or until the crumbs and crust are golden.  Remember the bottom of the pie will be wet, gooey and runny.

I hope these recipes work for you.  I searched all the posts to make sure you didn't have duplicates.  Good luck!

Kimberly
KickButtMama
by G.O. Shannon on Jul. 25, 2008 at 9:22 PM

THE O's & P's

soyfulliving

by soyfulliving on Mar. 12, 2008 at 8:07 AM

Quoting 2ndtimearound:

That sounds great!  I would love to have that recipe!  It would give us a great chance to study about the Native Americans as well!
Quoting soyfulliving:

I live in Oklahoma and I have a recipe for Fry Bread if you are interested. It is a native american recipe.

This recipe is from my grandmother who is Creek Indian.

2 cups self-rising flour
1/2 cup powdered milk
1 cup water
2 Tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt

Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl.  Add water.  Blend mixture together well.  Let stand for 30 minutes.  Work dough again.  Pull off a piece and form a ball.  Pat flat.  Heat oil to 400 degrees.  Brown one side, turn and brown other side. 

This is wonderful served with the meal.  It can also be served as a dessert with honey or powdered sugar on top.
cmprice22

by cmprice22 on Mar. 16, 2008 at 8:36 PM

Hi I am the one who gave you the recipe for washington state and I thought I'd share some from surrounding states.
In oregon they have lots of dairy farms and the city of tillamook is really interesting (
www.tillamookchamber.com) Also, gold medalist Picabo Street is from Oregon. So, here is a recipe for creamsicles from the tillamook dairy:
Ingredients:
1 6-ounce low-fat Tillamook® Vanilla Bean Yogurt
1 6-ounce orange juice concentrate
2 1/2 cups low-fat milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
Instructions:
Place ingredients into blender. Blend until frothy. Pour into Popsicle molds and freeze. If molds are not available, pour into a small paper cup. Cover each cup with a small square of tin foil. Cut a small slit in the middle of the foil and insert a Popsicle stick. Freeze. To eat, tear away paper cup. For a frothy drink, blend all ingredients in blender and serve immediately
dorsey3

by dorsey3 on May. 20, 2008 at 2:45 PM

Ohio

Buckeyes:
   Candy recipe

INGREDIENTS

• 1 1/2 cups peanut butter
  • 1 cup butter, softened
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 6 cups confectioners' sugar
  • 4 cups semisweet chocolate chips

DIRECTIONS

1. In a large bowl, mix together the peanut butter, butter, vanilla and confectioners' sugar. The dough will look dry. Roll into 1 inch balls and place on a waxed paper-lined cookie sheet.
  2. Press a toothpick into the top of each ball (to be used later as the handle for dipping) and chill in freezer until firm, about 30 minutes.
  3. Melt chocolate chips in a double boiler or in a bowl set over a pan of barely simmering water. Stir frequently until smooth.

1. Dip frozen peanut butter balls in chocolate holding onto the toothpick. Leave a small portion of peanut butter showing at the top to make them look like Buckeyes. Put back on the cookie sheet and refrigerate until serving.
RobinF

My Mother-in-Law is from Ohio and this recipe is really popular there in the Italian neighborhood where she grew up.  My kids LOVE it and request it weekly for breakfast.

Creamed Eggs and Toast

Boil 6 eggs and chop up.

Melt 1 stick of butter or margarine.  Add flour (eyeball it) to make a thick rue. 
Cook for a few minutes to remove flour taste.
Add milk a little at a time to make a gravy.
Once gravy is as thick as you would like, add chopped eggs.
Serve over toast.

rebeldjins

by rebeldjins on Jul. 21, 2008 at 4:49 PM

Puerto Rico: Mofongo with Chicken (or any favorite protein or seafood)
2-4 green plantains
2 onions
1/2 of bell pepper
4 cloves of garlic
1 cup broth
salt/pepper
2-4 pieces of chicken

Plantains and protein (chicken-beef-fish) is determined by how many people you are feeding.  1/2 plantain per person, and 1/2 chicken breast per person.  

Cut the plantains in half and boil the plantains in their skin with, an onion cut in half, 2 cloves of garlic in water just to cover.  Cook until the plantains are tender.  While the plaintains are cooking, chop, the onion, bell pepper, garlic and cut the  chicken into bite size pieces.  In a saute pan, cook the onions, bell pepper and garlic in a bit of olive oil until tender remove half veggies and set aside for the plantains.  Add the chicken to the rest of the veggies and cook thoroughly add 1/4 of the broth to the chicken and salt and pepper to taste.  

Remove the plantains from the water and remove them from their skins.  Add the veggies that were sauteed and the rest of the broth.  Mash the plantains and the veggies together the way you would do with mash potatoes.  Serve the mashed plantains the way you would with mash potatoes and pour the sauteed chicken over the mash as you would with gravy.  Once both parts are together you have Mofungo.  I like it with chicken, my hubby likes with beef and my children like it with shrimp or fish. 

In Puerto Rico, I can't remember anyone thing that sticks out but we hiking through the rain forest on island and we took a tour on horse back that was amazing. 

mombake3

by mombake3 on Apr. 23, 2008 at 3:25 PM

I am in CA. and that won't help you much now, but maybe this suggestion will? When in High school, I took a Sociology class and we were assigned a cooking project. We were to chose a food to make at home and bring to class that signified a certain culture. I chose the Amish, from Pennsylvania. I made an Amish Friendship bread. So since the Amish is a big part of Pennsylvanian culture, you could easily implement that in your project.? :)

I got this from allrecipes. http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Amish-Friendship-Bread-I/Detail.aspx

Amish Friendship Bread:
First you need to make the starter:
PREP TIME  30 Min
READY IN  9 Days 40 Min
SERVINGS & SCALING
Original recipe yield: 4 cups of starter

INGREDIENTS

• 1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
  • 1/4 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour, divided
  • 3 cups white sugar, divided
  • 3 cups milk

DIRECTIONS:
In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Let stand 10 minutes. In a 2 quart container glass, plastic or ceramic container, combine 1 cup flour and 1 cup sugar. Mix thoroughly or flour will lump when milk is added. Slowly stir in 1 cup milk and dissolved yeast mixture. Cover loosely and let stand until bubbly. Consider this day 1 of the 10 day cycle. Leave loosely covered at room temperature.

1. On days 2 thru 4; stir starter with a spoon. Day 5; stir in 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar and 1 cup milk. Days 6 thru 9; stir only.
  2. Day 10; stir in 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar and 1 cup milk. Remove 1 cup to make your first bread, give 2 cups to friends along with this recipe, and your favorite Amish Bread recipe. Store the remaining 1 cup starter in a container in the refrigerator, or begin the 10 day process over again (beginning with step 2).

Editor's Note

Once you have made the starter, you will consider it Day One, and thus ignore step 1 in this recipe and proceed with step 2. You can also freeze this starter in 1 cup measures for later use. Frozen starter will take at least 3 hours at room temperature to thaw before using.

The recipe for the Bread:

PREP TIME  40 Min
COOK TIME  1 Hr
READY IN  9 Days 40 Min
SERVINGS & SCALING
Original recipe yield: 2 - 9x5 inch loaves

INGREDIENTS

• 1 cup Amish Friendship Bread Starter
  • 2/3 cup vegetable oil
  • 3 eggs
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease 2 (9x5 inch) loaf pans.
  2. In a large bowl, combine the Amish bread starter with oil, eggs, 2 cups flour, 1 cup sugar, 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder, and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Mix well. Pour into prepared loaf pans.
  3. Bake in preheated oven for 50 to 60 minutes.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)