Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Amount of time spent PIOG

Posted by on Feb. 16, 2009 at 10:39 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 306 Total Views

I live in a title i district- not school but DISTRICT. Hence my transfer options are limited considering the state I am in. Anyhow, I am 90% decided that we are going to homeschool. I've read all your posts, other groups posts, websites etc. But the one thing I have yet to see is exacltly how much time each person spends on homeschooling their child. Schedules all seem to be different. But what I'm trying to figure out is - if one of those recent articles I read is true - our kids spend almost 7 hours a day in school but maybe an HOUR of true and concentrated and dedicated learning time. If that is the case, are they saying that I may be able to accomplish a full learning schedule in possibly under four hours a day? If that is so - then homeschooling IS THE WAY to go for my family. I can't wait to hear your thoughts.

by on Feb. 16, 2009 at 10:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
peanutsmom323
by Helping Hands on Feb. 16, 2009 at 11:36 PM

My dd is only in third grade, and the amount of time we spend daily has increased every year, but yes you can do it in 4 hours. I require a lot of extras from dd daily like daily music practice, forgien language, logic and analogy lessons, journal writing... and we can still do it in 4. (As long as she's in the mood to cooperate, anyway.)  

Check out my group for Busy Moms: http://www.cafemom.com/group/97158

Mommy22boys
by Helping Hands on Feb. 16, 2009 at 11:42 PM

Depending on how cooperative my ds is (he's almost 7 and in 2nd grade) we get done in about 2 hours.  We only do 3 sit down subjects a day but that doesn't mean the learning stops when we put the books away.

Kim                                                                       
 teacherHomeschooling mom and reading Twilight addict

To repeat what others have said requires education; to challenge it, requires brains. -Mary Pettibone Poole

Bleacheddecay
by Leader on Feb. 17, 2009 at 2:27 AM

Absolutely you should be able to let your kids learn in under four hours a day!

mancosmomma
by Guidance on Feb. 17, 2009 at 10:22 AM

When I first started homeschooling with a 5 yr old, we did about 1-2 hours a day 3 days a week. My kids are now 9 & 11, and we do 2-3 hours 4 days a week of actually "sit work".

A lot of education comes outside the world of schooling.  When my kids were little, I would offer to buy them a mom-approved snack at the grocery store, but they had to check unit pricing to find out what was cheaper.  When they got older, I taught them to read nutritional labels to compare what snacks were more nutritious. 

We listen to audio books in the car.  One nice thing about audio books, you can listen to books above your child's reading level, so they get exposed to a wider vocabulary.  It's also a nice way to share books with your kids.  We have great discussions afterwards!

Homeschooling also allows children the time to pursue their own interests.  My kids can play guitar or piano, spend time reading or drawing, sledding or playing outside, etc.  They can just be kids, without time pressure. 

Hope this helps!

kjohns0072
by Testing the waters on Jan. 15, 2013 at 6:55 PM
1 mom liked this
I have a 1st and 3rd grader, if they will cooperate, they are completely done in 3 hours or less, especially my 1st grader. We don't do every subject every day most days, but I do try to. It does not take much time. Good luck, you will love it!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)