Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Looking for a History book that can be used for multiple grade levels in just ONE book....

Posted by on Feb. 17, 2009 at 10:18 AM
  • 21 Replies
  • 1209 Total Views

My sister just gave me a science book to use with both my girls next year when We start HS'ing. It's called Considering God's Creation...Anyway it is ONE book That covers EVERYTHING and for multiple grades (suggested for 3rd-7th but can be adjusted for any grade)

So what I'm looking for now is a History book that is similar to this Science book..Can anyone point me towards one? My daughters will be 11 and 8 when we start HS....I just like the idea of ONE book that they both can learn out of.....I have decided to not use a Packaged curriculum (as that would defeat the whole reason i'm taking them out of PS and HS'ing in the first place)

My girls are very Hands on so if anyone could give suggestions on ANY(but my  main focus is on finding something for History) subjects with this learning style it would be very much appreciated...

by on Feb. 17, 2009 at 10:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PolandMomof3
by on Feb. 17, 2009 at 10:29 AM

I went to a scholastic.com but you have to be preapproved as a teacher before you can buy from them inorder to order books but also i went a bookstore and bought a history book  and i read the lesson and then make them worksheets according to their grade and abilities to answer easy to hard questions. Works for us and we are as hands on as it gets. I also take them historical places and when we take our lunch break i make them write about where we visited and what makes it historical and how it fits into history.

mancosmomma
by Guidance on Feb. 17, 2009 at 10:33 AM

I recommend The Story of the World by Susan Wise Bauer.  It's actually a series of 4 history books written in chronological order and covers world history and American history in one.  The books are fairly inexpensive and can be bought used on Amazon.  They were made for homeschooling so you can use the same books for different ages.

I don't use the workbooks; we just read a chapter a day.  My kids really like them and have actually asked me to keep reading so they can find out what happened next! 

Good luck!

charmama4
by Welcome Squad on Feb. 17, 2009 at 10:44 AM

My third grader uses the Usborne Internet Linked World History Book and Story of the World.  I use a curriculum called History Odyssey that uses *real* books and these are couple of them.  The level he is on includes 1st thru 4th grades, the next level includes 5th thru 8th and the last one is 8th thru 12th.  What I like about this particular curriculum is that it allows the student to spend an entire year on Ancient History, a year on Medieval History, a year on Modern History and a year on recent history.  When things happen in our current time (IE: presidential election) we include that as well. 

AndreaLM
by Welcome Squad on Feb. 17, 2009 at 2:11 PM

Story of the World.  I highly recommend it. I use it for my 2 boys and could easily use it for higher or lower grade levels. They offer activities,  coloring pages, map work, and it based on a chronological history told through reading. I love it!

teacherHomeschooling mom to Nate (8) and Nick (7)

Mom to a beautiful angel ~Madeline Leigh~ http://www.madeline-morrow.memory-of.com/Mom

Mom to 3 furbabies - Siris, Cairo, and Lexy

Bleacheddecay
by Leader on Feb. 17, 2009 at 4:32 PM

I like The Young People's History series by Howard Zinn. It tells things from the POV of those who didn't win the wars. It's a nice contrast as is Lies My Teacher Told Me.

AngyBaby
by on Feb. 17, 2009 at 5:00 PM

I'm just recalling from my early homeschooling days. Beautiful Feet. was a christian company that had a multi level history curriculum. I loved My Father's World for the multi level use. And doesn't Diana Waring have a whole history line as well?

Angela

Cookie_baker
by Welcome Squad on Feb. 18, 2009 at 9:27 AM

Homeschoolers can join Scholastic.com. You just register your homeschool. It's great! You can order online AND they have warehouse clearance sales a couple times a year. You can get books for as little as .25!

Lisa

KaiCosmom
by Helping Hands on Feb. 18, 2009 at 9:45 AM

You could look into My Fathers World...it does multiple grades at one time for all subjects. Good LuckteacherHomeschooling, soccer mom of an amazing girl skateboardingand a sweet little boyplaying soccer

crysolwert
by Welcome Squad on Feb. 18, 2009 at 9:55 AM

Tapestry of Grace is a great History curriculum that is for every level. It uses Story of the World as one of the books, but uses many books. My girls love using real books to see what it was like in the time we are learning about, and it has a ton of activities you can do also. It can be overwhelming because it gives so much to do in one week, but you just have to pick and choose what best fits your family. I'm going to have children in 6th, 4th, 2nd, and kinder next year and they will all be learning about the same time period with just different assignments. I hope this helps.

Crystal

Wife to my wonderful husband and homeschooling mom to 4 wonderful girls and a baby on the way

groompregnant bellyteen girlplaying soccer girlgirl on a swingblowing bubbles

soyfulliving
by Welcome Squad on Feb. 18, 2009 at 11:05 AM

We are using "Beyond Five In A Row" which is a literature based curriculum that covers science, history, geography, language arts and fine arts.  We supplement Grammar using Easy Grammar and Math - my son uses Saxon and my daughter uses Horizons.  My kids are 11 and 7 and it is a great multi-level curriculum.

Yannah                       

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)