Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Older homeschooled kids?

Posted by on Feb. 19, 2009 at 10:33 PM
  • 44 Replies
  • 2510 Total Views

Hello.  I was wondering if there is any moms out there that are homeschooling older kids?    I have a ds that is 13 yr & we are doing  8th grade right now, but do plan on doing 9th grade with this homeschooling as well.    Thanks.

by on Feb. 19, 2009 at 10:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
homemom1620
by on Feb. 19, 2009 at 10:37 PM

I have a dd 15 yr in 10th.She has always been homeschooled..

Fractal_mama
by Welcome Squad on Feb. 20, 2009 at 12:41 AM
1 mom liked this

My daughter is going to be 17 and is a junior in HS.  She has been HS'd since 8th grade.  I was also homeschooled and graduated as a homeschooled kid, same with my two younger brothers.

Debbie233
by on Feb. 20, 2009 at 1:45 AM

Can you ladies tell me about your homeschooling?   What classes your doing & such.   I would love to get an idea.   Also would any of your kids like a homeschooled pen-pal..or sorts?   My son is 13 he will be 14 April 2nd.

Mom2theboy1994
by on Feb. 20, 2009 at 7:26 AM

My son is 14, and in the 8th grade. He's deciding now if he's planning on continuing home-schooling for 9th grade or not.

cat323
by on Feb. 20, 2009 at 8:41 AM

my 2 youngest sons who are 17 (senior) and 15 (sophmore) are being homeschooled right now....i have 2 older sons that were homeschooled also....

homemom1620
by on Feb. 20, 2009 at 10:39 AM

We do the usual Like algebra 2, biology, English, drivers ed this year yea me.. world history etc it depends on what your state and/or your umbrella school requires I do the normal of school I don't use the unschooled so its normal subjects and electives to make up to 26 credits so she can get her diploma..

Quoting Debbie233:

Can you ladies tell me about your homeschooling?   What classes your doing & such.   I would love to get an idea.   Also would any of your kids like a homeschooled pen-pal..or sorts?   My son is 13 he will be 14 April 2nd.

bren_darlene
by Hall Monitor Bren on Feb. 20, 2009 at 10:59 AM

My 3 still at home are 16, 14 and 11 yr olds.  I have already graduated several kids.

Debbie233
by on Feb. 21, 2009 at 12:32 AM

We are doing our schooling with the city school distric.   He is doing the same  as the reg schools around here.    I wish I can get him into extra stuff, but right now all he wants to do with his free time with play on the computer, with his DS & or gamecube.

Quoting homemom1620:

We do the usual Like algebra 2, biology, English, drivers ed this year yea me.. world history etc it depends on what your state and/or your umbrella school requires I do the normal of school I don't use the unschooled so its normal subjects and electives to make up to 26 credits so she can get her diploma..

Quoting Debbie233:

Debbie233
by on Feb. 21, 2009 at 12:35 AM

We had that talk too.    We talked about him going to public or stay where we are now.    I told him about the pros & cons & told him I would give him a week to think about.    He came up with staying with homeschooling.    I have to say I was very happy to hear that.    I wish you guys the best of luck in deciding what is best for your son.

Quoting Mom2theboy1994:

My son is 14, and in the 8th grade. He's deciding now if he's planning on continuing home-schooling for 9th grade or not.

Mummymargo
by Testing the waters on Oct. 31, 2009 at 9:28 AM
1 mom liked this

My family is currently trying to apply to home educate.  It's interesting to see the politics of the process come to light!  My son is 11 yrs old.  He'll be 12 in December.  He is currently in Jr High (Gr 7) and in a special education class that is, emotionally, just too much for him to handle as there is a lot of conflict amongst the students.  I would like to follow the Traditional Home Education style and get back to the basics with him.  Really, my goal is to give him a chance to enjoy learning.  I am surprised at the level of opposition I am getting from my best friends who seem to think grinding out work at a desk is the only way you can succeed in life.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)