Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do I HS when we are poor?

Posted by on Feb. 27, 2009 at 4:08 PM
  • 32 Replies
  • 2472 Total Views

I want to pull my kids BACK out  of PS( we once briefly did HS) but right now we are in financial ruins, we don't own a home, we live pay check to pay check and barely scrape by. I know it does not take $$ to school my kids but.......?

We are a very happy family and blessed in many other ways...what I am worried about is this:

1. How can I take my kids on field trips

2. How can I get them involved in sports, music,.....whatever there interests are, on no extra $$

They don't do any of that now, but at least they have some form of it at PS. I am very torn.

I KNOW HS IS THE RIGHT THING FOR US, I just don't know as a mother if I would be benefiting my kids  without  the extracurricular things?

We live in a town that is very well off.....pretty much everyone does something. This aslo is a stress on my kids as they have felt very allianated at times. They already say they hate being the "apartment kids" should I really make them the "HOMESCHOOLED APARTMENT KIDS?

Any advice...anyone else out there with me?

-LIVIN' ON LOVE

by on Feb. 27, 2009 at 4:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
texmexmom
by Welcome Squad on Feb. 27, 2009 at 4:17 PM

IF you already PAY for the Internet utilize that to the BEST of your ability!! ALSO there are TONS of sports and music things that are free or REALLY cheap!! If you would like for your children to ACTUALLY participate ALOT of the arts AND Sports programs offer scholarship programs !!! JUST ASK!  If you are embarrassed call ahead and ask if they have any and if any  written essay's are required. Sometimes they are. ALOT of cities offer a "spring concert tour" and they are FREE!!  they are usually done on lawns or parks. When we lived in DFW they had ALOT of variety! We loved going no matter what type of band was playing!! My kids LOVED dancing and having our picnic dinners! We even got some of our friends hooked on them!

Jovaiel
by Welcome Squad on Feb. 27, 2009 at 4:24 PM

Get online and see what homeschool groups are in your area. We live in an area with a couple of great groups. They arrange lots of activities including a weekly meet in a part, a book club/learning hour (where kids can present projects) in the library, games meetings, parties, etc. - all for free. They organize a wide variety of field trips many of which are free or reduced price and let us know what activities - fairs and festivals, special classes, etc. - are available in our community. There are things that cost money but, so far, it hasn't been as expensive as the school trips. Our public school would do at least one big blow-out trip a year, costing over $60 per student. It was optional, of course, but they made such a big deal about it that my kids would have felt like social outcasts had we denied them.

As for curriculum, A Beka math is only about $13 per workbook per level. Reading and writing can be done with materials from the library, as can most of the other subjects. Supplies for science can vary depending on what you do. There are some projects that are free. It just takes getting creative. Online sources can help.

callansmomma
by Helping Hands on Feb. 27, 2009 at 4:27 PM

Check meetup.com for local homeschooling groups.  Check local parks and other organizations for free homeschooler activities (here the Metroparks do them).  Check into virtual schools for your state.  Many are free because they are considered to be a public school.

Are you done with one?  Is your one a boy?  Want to chat with other Moms who are raising the only boy?  Then check out the group  Raising the Only Boy - CafeMom

Knightquester
by Helping Hands on Feb. 27, 2009 at 4:33 PM

I noticed you're in California, have you thought of looking into charter schools in your area that would fund their curriculum, supplies, field trips, and extra curricular classes?  I grew up being homeschooled from 6th grade on, and it was with no financial help from the outside... I remember how tight things were and how stressful it was for my mother, so I am grateful that I live in a state where I can get that additional help and lessen the burden.  There are for me other pro's besides finance that charter schools offered for us, they made sure I was teaching my children at or above their standards and they tested my children once a year at the same time as the public schoolers, I have a credentialed teacher that if I run into any questions will be there for me and offer advice.  Charter schools aren't for everybody, and I've heard just as many horror stories (mostly from PA charter schoolers) as I've heard good stories, but it is an option you could try out.

KickButtMama
by G.O. Shannon on Feb. 28, 2009 at 12:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Hey, one thing I've learned over the years is that very few spend money on fantastic field trips...sure I'd love to take my kids around the world to see the places they are learning about first hand. But since neither my DH nor I are in the military, that's just not possible.

Many of us live paycheck to paycheck. Heck I once made double what my DH makes, but quit to be home with the kids. It was worth it to us to sell our home and cars - everything of monetary value in order to appreciate the blessings that have no monetary associations - but are worth millions to us.

We don't go on fancy field trips but I try to turn everything into a learning experience - if someone we know goes on vaca we'll give them a questionare to fill out. I've made contacts around the world who've sent post cards, etc.

When I want to take my kids to the museum, I'll ask family for museum memberships as birthday presents. I'll call the museums and ask about special rates, etc....I spend no more than $400/year on schooling 2 boys I make everything myself. THe things we spend 90% of the money on are printer ink and paper. I get all books from libraries, tagsales, ebay, etc. I make our own posters and learning tools. I have everyone give us used stuff (we've gotten leappads, art easles, computer desks, etc) Sure you have to swallow your pride, but who cares...the kids are so excited by new stuff they don't care that it's used. My kids don't get fancy clothes, nor do we go out to eat or to the movies more than 2x a year (and usually with gift cards)......

Can you teach on next to nothing? Sure, you just have to get a little creative...who needs the zoo when you can call local farmers and ask to take the kids around a real farm? Sure they won't get to see the more exotic animals, but teach them how disgusting it is that these beautiful creatures have spent their lives living in a cage and it down plays their desire to see them in person, maybe you can take them to a local rescue shelter?

Shannon

sorry for any typo's or misspellings, but I'm typing with a broken elbow.

Mommy22boys
by Helping Hands on Feb. 28, 2009 at 9:44 PM
1 mom liked this

There's a website called Field Trip Factory that is all about finding free field trips in your community: http://www.fieldtripfactory.com/home.php?sid=&ts=2265c34c673e788590c1b627e8d40496.  They may be pet stores, grocery stores, or something along those lines but they are educational, practical, and free.  The library is a great place for free information and even extra classes.  A field trip can be to a town rich in history, we live about an hour away from St. Augustine Fl, so we go and tour the fort at least once a year and walk the city.  IN a couple years when the kids are older we'll take them on the ghost walk  and both tours together at current prices will be about $10 per person.  If you can get a membership to your local museum (or find another near you that has a cheaper membership rate) and you get access to hundreds more at no extra cost.  Our local museum's membership is $60 a year for a family of 4 and we use it mainly for the bigger musuem in Orlando with is twice as much for membership.

With all the budget cut backs that the public schools are facing field trips, sports, and the arts are taking the hits so even the public schooled kids may not be doing the very things your worried about depriving your kids of.  As previous posters mentioned, many places offer scholarships or reduced costs for families in need, have your kids help in the search to find fun affordable places to go as part of their lessons.

Kim                                                                       
 teacherHomeschooling mom and reading Twilight addict

To repeat what others have said requires education; to challenge it, requires brains. -Mary Pettibone Poole

onebabymama
by Welcome Squad on Feb. 28, 2009 at 9:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Knightquester:

I noticed you're in California, have you thought of looking into charter schools in your area that would fund their curriculum, supplies, field trips, and extra curricular classes?  I grew up being homeschooled from 6th grade on, and it was with no financial help from the outside... I remember how tight things were and how stressful it was for my mother, so I am grateful that I live in a state where I can get that additional help and lessen the burden.  There are for me other pro's besides finance that charter schools offered for us, they made sure I was teaching my children at or above their standards and they tested my children once a year at the same time as the public schoolers, I have a credentialed teacher that if I run into any questions will be there for me and offer advice.  Charter schools aren't for everybody, and I've heard just as many horror stories (mostly from PA charter schoolers) as I've heard good stories, but it is an option you could try out.

YES - there are many great Charters in CA!   But, your situation might benefit from... California Virtual Academy!  It is "public school" at home - but honestly, it is so much more - mainly because the state of California has chosen to team up with K12 and this is the curriculum they provide to you - at NO COST TO YOU - it is completely FREE!  (This is a program you 'could' purchase privately for well over $1000 per year!) Check out the link below!

They will send you EVERYTHING you need - and I mean everything - down to a tablespoon of dirt for a science project if needed! They provide a computer, printer & even a stipend for internet access AND ALL curriculum (books, workbooks, manipulatives) you name it!

http://www.caliva.org/dg/dg_ca.html?se=Google&campaign=CA_Local_SN_Job_K120928&adgroup=CA_LO_Virtual&kw=virtual%20academy&gclid=CPSWl_fagJkCFRwpawodaDInmA

I wish you the best for your situation.

Shelah ~ Camden's Mom

Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!

AmyHeinrich
by Welcome Squad on Feb. 28, 2009 at 10:13 PM
2 moms liked this

Go to this site, we are a single income family and my daughter has GAD they sent us a curriculum for free for the whole year.  They usually open the site for the following school year in April and you will receive the items in May.  Some is used but the workbooks are new.  I even got an awesome phonics program from them last year.  Good luckI

http://www.booksamaritan.com/contactus.html

I also coach my daughters T-Ball, Basketball and Soccer teams through a church recreational center (and we are not religious people...lol).  It costs 25 dollars but if you are in a finincial bind they will waive the fee.  That is in Wisconsin.

And we do Girl Scouts too, I am a helper mom and if you cant afford it they will waive the fee of $10 too.

Field Trips, try to find out about homeschooling groups in your area, we have one through church where we play sports,  and they let us use the gym for playtime for the kids, we have gone to the apple orchard (no charge) and the kids got free apple donuts, 2 free apples and cider  and radio station tour (no charge), bread companies (no charge) and the post office (no charge) so far this year.  We also get together for moms night out at another parents house.  Its a lot of fun.  We dont have a lot of money to do field trips either, but there are ways to do things cheap and or free.  And somedays at your local Discovery Center is donation day, you can go and pay like $1 a kid just to be nice and spend the whole day learning!

And just so you know we are apartment people too!  I am the manager as a matter of fact and I love it.  Screw anyone who doesnt like you homeschooling your kids and making them have a better outlook on life!

Debbie233
by on Feb. 28, 2009 at 10:38 PM

I know how you feel.   We are doing our HS through our city school district with a Charter school.   Everything is FREE!!.   You will get a teacher that you have to report to once a month, then you get all the books & answer sheets.    Another idea you can do is a independent  teaching again through your school district.    I would call your district & see what they have to offer.   Keep in mind that they will tell you they do not offer anything or they do not do anything at all.   They are wrong.   I would keep looking every where.  

faithdravenmom
by Testing the waters on Feb. 28, 2009 at 11:37 PM

Look in your area for free or almost free events. Scan the newspaper and go visit you local library, they have boards with all sorts of things to do. Also ask around, maybe meet some other homeschoolers, sometimes if you get a small group together you can go to places that cost money and get student discounts. Good luck and don't give up, whens there's a will there's a way. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)