Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My 11th Grade Daughter Wants To Be Home Schooled....(sorry long post)

Posted by on Mar. 12, 2009 at 8:44 PM
  • 11 Replies
  • 397 Total Views

sorry, I'm known for writing very long post, so i will apologize up front. ok, i used to home school my kids several years ago and in just a few months i found out that it wasn't for me and i decided to put them back into public school, ok, blah blah blah.... on to the problem and decisions I need to make and I so need some ones help here.

My daughter is 17 years old and in the 11th grade. she takes all advanced classes and she's a A-B student. Last year it was all i could do to make her stay home from school when she was sick, now this year she says she HATES it! She don't get along with her teachers and has a really bad problem showing grown ups respect, we are addressing this problem right now, she sees a therapist and a physciatrist for her behavior. She has terrible anger issues, that's just a thing she's had her whole life! so on with the school thing. she said she wants to be home schooled and for her to say that something must be awfully wrong. before when i would bring up home schooling, she said she would just die if she had to be home schooled! but i found out something else this afternoon, she said that her boyfriend hates school too and that he wants his mom to home school him too. he does not go to her school, but to me i feel like she wants to be home schooled because she thinks she will be able to see him more. am i over reacting? should i pull her out of school? she's in the 11th grade and there is NO way that i could teach her. I'm bipolar and some days i can't function, plus i'm not smart enough to do this. is there classes for home schoolers to take, but not at school? maybe computer classes? i don't know, i'm just lost on this.... what should i do? i could really use some advice on this one! PLEASE

alreadypersonalizedtag2.gif picture by notanarco

by on Mar. 12, 2009 at 8:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
callmeann
by on Mar. 12, 2009 at 8:59 PM

I am not in this group.  i saw your post highlighted at the bottom of the screen. 

I think you have the right idea about why she wants to homeschool.  I would also ask her teachers if they have any insight.  As far as other options from you doing it, contact the different homeschooling networks in your area.  They could probably advise you.  Look into dual credit at your local community college.  Is she of a different mindset than a typical high school teen?  Does she get impatient with high school drama to the extent that she just hates being with school aged kids? Talk to her school counselors about how they manage dual credit classes there.  Ours does not give credit for dc classes taken on the college campus.  Of course, college is more expensive, but if she could work over the summer, she could pay for it.

BonnieB726
by Welcome Squad on Mar. 13, 2009 at 10:07 AM

What about a cyber school?  It still follows a ps calendar but you would not have to do the teaching.  We considered this before pulling my 9th grader out of high school. 

bren_darlene
by Hall Monitor Bren on Mar. 13, 2009 at 10:09 AM

I'm sorry, i really do not know what to tell you. I am a very strong advocate of home education and encourage everyone I know to do it.  I am sure you are smart enough. I only finished 10th grade in school and not with great grades at that. But I wanted to homeschool my DC and I started doing just that over 15 years ago.  I just learned right a long with them.  I hope things work out for you and your DD.

DayDaysmom19
by Welcome Squad on Mar. 27, 2009 at 11:54 PM

Well, I wouldn't let her do it if she only wants to because of her boyfriend, but that's just my opinion and I don't know the real situation. If she has a legitimate reason for not wanting to be in a school setting, however, she could always do online school. I got pregnant in 10th grade and did most of my 11th grade year online. It wasn't for me because it was hard for me to get motivated to do it. I'm not good at doing some things unless I have a set schedule. If she is really serious about this and is willing to put in the work, I think it's a good option.

mommi_2_5
by Welcome Squad on Mar. 28, 2009 at 10:47 PM

If it is because of her boyfriend, I would make sure there are restrictions...ie., having a set time to talk or see him... When my oldest daughter was in her senior year, we enrolled her in Keystone National High School.  It is an accredited school and can be done online w/books included or just with the books alone.  They have a nice curriculum and there are teachers that she can call and get help when needed.  She can do it at her own pace, but there is a deadline when it must be completed.  They will ask for her transcript from her former school and transfer all of her credits to their school.  She can receive her diploma from this school.  Also, the cost is not bad.  Their website is...  www.keystonehighschool.com  Hope this helps.  

tlweiss
by Testing the waters on Mar. 31, 2009 at 11:50 AM

I dont know where you live but here in SW Ohio we have a great K 12 homeschool group, about 200 students. Its in a school enviroment but it is a homeschool program where the kids pick out their scheds. take a look at this site. www.leavesoflearning.org 

I love it, my son loves it, all of the kids love it, the teachers love being there they eat lunch with the kids and sometimes will order a pizza and stay after to continue class discussion! These people want to teach.

If we have to move to Cleveland this summer I will be building a program very similar in the Chagrin area.

If I can answer any questions email me at Tlweiss@aol.com

I have one child who did miserably in HS, dropped out of Community College and has a very successful career in San Fran, Ca

I have one child who excelled in HS, felt so-so about college and is now a year away from getting his PHD at DePaul and will be teaching at University of Berlin and the Sorbonne in France next year.

I have one child that was so-so in HS liked it for social reasons, went on full baseball scholarship OU and took off academically and has a great career now in Cleveland

I have a 12 year old with who just was having a horrible time in public schools, would not read, write homework was horrible, everyday was a fight to go to school. He is at Leaves now after 6 months is a different and happier person. Reads like a madman, is getting a story he wrote published, his math skills are doubling at an amazing rate.

Regards,

Tammy

vangel34
by Welcome Squad on Mar. 31, 2009 at 11:53 AM

I agree, I think you need to get to the root of the problem before making a decision.  You said yourself she was excelling in school last year so you know what she's capable of.  For now you need to get answers and find out what the real problem is.

Quoting DayDaysmom19:

Well, I wouldn't let her do it if she only wants to because of her boyfriend, but that's just my opinion and I don't know the real situation. If she has a legitimate reason for not wanting to be in a school setting, however, she could always do online school. I got pregnant in 10th grade and did most of my 11th grade year online. It wasn't for me because it was hard for me to get motivated to do it. I'm not good at doing some things unless I have a set schedule. If she is really serious about this and is willing to put in the work, I think it's a good option.

kellybelly7570
by Welcome Squad on Mar. 31, 2009 at 11:56 AM

Quoting mommi_2_5:

If it is because of her boyfriend, I would make sure there are restrictions...ie., having a set time to talk or see him...

I agree with this.

In my state (Missouri) we have virtual High School online.  It's www.movip.organd it is the public school's curriculum, but done by the student at home.  They have a teacher online that answers questions and assigns homework.   Maybe you could do that......since your daughter doesn't have far to go anyway.    I'd look for something similar in your area.....or call the school to see if they know.  

vidavida
by Welcome Squad on Mar. 31, 2009 at 12:30 PM
Quoting BonnieB726:

What about a cyber school?  It still follows a ps calendar but you would not have to do the teaching.  We considered this before pulling my 9th grader out of high school. 

Great idea - look into resources.

I was homeschooled for a few years, very poorly by my uncommitted mother and she sent me back to school in 3rd grade.

When I was in HS, I was in a slightly similar situation.. NOT getting along with my parents, there was no way that they could teach me anything, BUT.. I did take a little initiative and did 2 courses in summer school (so I could take 3 instead of 4 classes each semester for my entire 11th grade),
and my last three courses in 12th gr via correspondence. Ie, they gave me the books, I turned in the assignments. Worked well for everyone, and taught me to take responsibility for my own education, which sounds like something your daughter may benefit from as well.

It was a HUGE relief of stress to do it that way, I did have more time for other things - including a boyfriend (got together at 17, been very happy together 9 years.. ie relationships at this age should not be disregarded), but having that time depended on me staying on top of my school work.

I would definitely encourage not pressuring her to stay in school, but help her find an alternative that works and make it clear that no matter how, the most important part is finishing HS. HS, being a teenager, having behavioral problems (I was dealing with drug issues back then as well), and establishing relationships with your parents on a more adult level are ALL extremely stressful things to deal with - especially at once.

Helping her find direction will no doubt help your stresses as well.

Good luck to you!

vidavida
by Welcome Squad on Mar. 31, 2009 at 12:34 PM
Ps. The correspondence courses I took were through the same school board so the credits were the same and I still received the same diploma.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN