Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need some advice please

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 10:23 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 527 Total Views

Ok where do i start first i have a son who is almost 14 and he has some special needs like learning disability , some speech problem , ADHD, bipolar he is in a private school now that i am not happy with so i am letting him finish out this school year and then i am homeschool him he is in the 8thgrade but his level is at 2nd grade he can read just a little and do some math like some add and subtract small numbers but he learns more with hands on stuff the questions i have are like how will he graduate if he is behind like this ? also how do i know what to start him out on because his private school is saying he is at 8th grade level and i know better than that . i have asked them to show me papers that he has done and they only showed me a few and it was not at 8th grade level . so anything you have will help me out please i want to learn all of it before we start because i thought private school would be good but i was wrong all they do is baby sit him as long as he has his lap top at school they are happy because they will let him stay on it the whole time he is there doing whatever he wants to on the internet and also the school time  is 8-2"30 but not my son they send him home at lunch because they say they can not watch him but the state still has to pay full price which i think is wrong .

So please any one that might can help me i would be so happy.

Thanks Alot , Christy bouncing

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 10:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
momcat437
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 10:31 PM

Homeschooling is the best thing you can do for him!  As for grading his progress--usually at the end of the school term, you have his progress assessed--it's usually a teacher who does this on the side--and they should tell you where he's at.  Check out hslda.org (homeschool legal defense association, I think) and see what they say about special needs kids.  They also have tons of links.  Good luck, mama, and God bless!!

Dreaming of that Paradise Earth...

grass_tiger
by on Apr. 18, 2010 at 10:02 PM

Excellent advice momcat437.

Goodness, do you know if he's even getting adequate supervision on the Web there? That sounds like a huge waste of time! How much more he'd get if he were just home with someone who loves him and will teach him about life, let alone academics! There are lots of materials out there for homeschooling special needs kids and most any kid will go further faster with one-on-one instruction. So, if you have the time, the strength and the wearwithall (it can take a lot to meet the needs of a special needs kid all day--as I'm sure you know better than the rest of us!), then I'd say go for it! Just make sure what you need to meet your state's legal requirements for special needs kids. If you aren't sure how, just take it one step at a time. Some people recommend starting with reading, then just adding one subject at a time to make sure you don't get overloaded. Slowly you should work out a routine that works for both of you. Perhaps finding a yahoo group or other group of people who homeschool special needs kids would help provide you the support you need too. All the best!

home4ever
by Welcome Squad on Apr. 22, 2010 at 8:35 AM

If he loves his laptop, hop on the Internet and look up educational games. There are TONS of them! Spelling, math, you name it.

Also there are cool sites like Africam, where you can watch cameras that are in different countries and catch wild animals and such- you see it live like you are there!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)