Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Please tell me all you can...so I can make a decision

Posted by on May. 8, 2009 at 2:28 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 300 Total Views

I live in NC. The reason I am thinking about homeschooling is my 7 year old daughter isn't doing well in school. She has selective mutism (won't speak) and getting behind. Here are some things I would like to know. How much does it cost? We don't have hardly any money neither of us have a job. Will I be able to teach her without an education? How do I test her? Would it be unfair to homeschool just one child and not the other? Here is the most important question approx. how many hours a day will be involved in homeschooling? Now I spend about 2 hours each night trying to make sure she understands everything. thanks ladies.

by on May. 8, 2009 at 2:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
hailnbray
by Helping Hands on May. 8, 2009 at 2:37 PM

well to start off u can spend as much or as little u want in homeschooling materals. somethings cost way to much and we dont buy those things, the library and internet have great ideas for kids. the good news is shes till young so its not the hard to really homeschool her. normal reading n math type things u can do with just what is around ur house. k12.com is a good start too. this program is a form of public school that u do at home. they give u everything even a computer for ur child and also has a teacher u can use online to help with any issues u may have. as far as time it takes we spend at the very very most 3 hours a day doing work. most days we may do 2 hours. every state has different rules and laws. our state says we have to have 5 hours a day for 180 days ( we do not do this, we just log it and thank fully we dont have to log any real time yet) as far as it being fair i think that depends n ur kids and what they want and ur family. we will home school all  my children because we are against the public school system, if ur homeschool for a special need then thats one thing, its not like ur pulling her out of school cause u like her more and want to spend more time with her.

My daughter has autism but she can laugh, cry, and love just like yours. she may never dress herself but she can go to college and become a dr.  she may never make friends her own age but shes my friend for life. and please if u ever get the chance to meet my daughter, stop looking at her like shes a brat, she cant help her stairs or attitudes u can help urs. get to close u might get bit but it wont give u autism. do yourself a favor look it up. 

hailnbray
by Helping Hands on May. 8, 2009 at 2:40 PM

i wanted to add about the testing this too would depend on ur state. we have have to take the aces test which is once a year nt he school district tells me where the sites are to take the test. as far as math and spelling type test we dont do those. i can tell what shes learning n what shes not i do not feel the need to add the presure of a test however if u want to test her weekly on each subject just make up ur own or print off worksheets 

My daughter has autism but she can laugh, cry, and love just like yours. she may never dress herself but she can go to college and become a dr.  she may never make friends her own age but shes my friend for life. and please if u ever get the chance to meet my daughter, stop looking at her like shes a brat, she cant help her stairs or attitudes u can help urs. get to close u might get bit but it wont give u autism. do yourself a favor look it up. 

Bleacheddecay
by Leader on May. 8, 2009 at 6:03 PM

How much does it cost?

That depends on how you do your homeschooling. It can cost very little for some paper and such or a great deal for expensive items. You need to research different ways of learning and teaching before you'll know how you want to do it or what might work well for your students.

Will I be able to teach her without an education?

How much of an education do you have? In most states if you have a high school education you can teach her. You need to research your state laws.

How do I test her?

Does your state require testing? If not, you might not have to test her unless you want to for some reason. Testing is something many homeschoolers are against. We wanted to test and we use the CAT which we administer at home.

Would it be unfair to homeschool just one child and not the other?

In my mind, for my kids, it would be unfair but each family is different.

Here is the most important question approx. how many hours a day will be involved in homeschooling?

Again that depends on how you homeschool. You must put in your own research on this to find the best way for you and your students and to fit your family.

You need to know your state laws in be in compliance as well.

Unless your state law requires it, you can get a great deal done in a very little amount of time or even unschool.

mancosmomma
by Guidance on May. 8, 2009 at 8:21 PM

How much does it cost?

You can pretty much do it free with a library card and on-line resources.  I spend maybe $50 a year for two kids on actual curriculum.  I use the library for 95% of my resources, I also have Netflix and get documentaries from them.

I'm not sure I understand your question.  However, you don't need a teacher's degree to be effective.  She is only seven, if you went to public school you should know enough to educate her at this stage.  It's not like she will be doing calculus.

How do I test her?

Depends on your state.  You need to know your state laws inside and out.  My state, CO, required testing at 3,5,7,9,11 grades.  I pay for the testing through my homeschool group, however I could also have them tested by the school.

Nope.

Here is the most important question approx. how many hours a day will be involved in homeschooling?

We spend about 2-3 hours 4 days a week actually doing homeschooling.  However, learning experiences happen all day; at the grocery store, the park, the library, at church, etc.

Hope this helps.  Good luck!

reesemom
by Testing the waters on May. 8, 2009 at 8:48 PM

Quoting mancosmomma:

How much does it cost?

You can pretty much do it free with a library card and on-line resources.  I spend maybe $50 a year for two kids on actual curriculum.  I use the library for 95% of my resources, I also have Netflix and get documentaries from them.

I'm not sure I understand your question.  However, you don't need a teacher's degree to be effective.  She is only seven, if you went to public school you should know enough to educate her at this stage.  It's not like she will be doing calculus.

How do I test her?

Depends on your state.  You need to know your state laws inside and out.  My state, CO, required testing at 3,5,7,9,11 grades.  I pay for the testing through my homeschool group, however I could also have them tested by the school.

Nope.

We spend about 2-3 hours 4 days a week actually doing homeschooling.  However, learning experiences happen all day; at the grocery store, the park, the library, at church, etc.

Hope this helps.  Good luck!

thanks so much!

you rock

jen2150
by Helping Hands on May. 9, 2009 at 4:15 PM

I spend only about 2-3 hours per day about 4-5 days per week.  So ironically you probably won't be spending any more time teaching her at home than you probably are right now.  If you can read you can teach any child.  Reading will be there greatest accomplishment.  All learning stems from math and reading.  I taught my son to read in just one year.  In one school year he went from a non reader to reading at 2nd to 3rd grade level.  It was so much easier than I thought.  There will be days when it seems like nothing is being learned and then one day a light will come on and they will all of a sudden get it.  I use a lot of outside sources for learning.  I use shows on discovery channel to develop interest in topics we learn about in school.  I used clicknread.com to teach my child to read.  He loved it and it was really easy.  They have a payment plan which is reasonable.  You can find good materials on ebay, and amazon.  I go to thrift stores to find books, and workbooks for school.  My closet is full of materials that I got for very little.  The internet and your local library will an invaluable resource that you can use.  Amazon has a lot text books that are very cost effective.  There tons of homeschool book you can read at the library to help make up your mind and to help you get started.  Homeschooling my two young boys has helped me just as much as them.  I have learned a lot just teaching them.  Homeschooling is about the parent and child learning together and growing closer together as well. 

teacher

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)