Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Spinoff on Undecided...

Posted by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 11:06 AM
  • 29 Replies
  • 764 Total Views

Ok one concern I do have if I were to choose homeschooling is the finances.  How do you all manage on just one income? Do your husbands/SO's make a lot of money for this to happen?

by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 11:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Erin814
by Guidance on Jun. 21, 2009 at 12:32 PM

In our case, my dh has a very good paying job and we do not live in an expensive state, so we do even better.  I also do some work-from-home side jobs.  I make handcrafted greeting cards and bake/decorate special occasion cakes.

When we first started out, before my husband finished college, it was all about sacrificing everything we wanted though.

bren_darlene
by Hall Monitor Bren on Jun. 21, 2009 at 1:12 PM

No, you just have to have your priorites and work around it.  I have been a stay at home mom for 29 years and have homeschooled for 16 of them. I only have 3 kids still at home. My DH has  only had a part time job for the past 4 years. We do own our home so we do not have house payments otherwise he would need a full time job.  He brings home $150. - $200 a week for a family of 5 and we make it fine.  You learn how to :)  Kind of fun actually.  We used to have a large home on 40 acres but we sold it, paid off mortgage, and downsized so we wouldn't have a house payment. We made a lot of changes. Me going to work was not an option. I am a full time wife/mom/homeschool teacher.

jessradtke
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 2:10 PM

I don't personally know any rich homeschooling families. All of the ones I know have made sacrifices in order to be able to live on one income. A few of them have managed to keep two incomes, but they have to do some creative scheduling to make it happen. We are a one income family and my husband has a good job, but we mostly manage because we spend what money we do have wisely. We have a strict budget, grow a lot of our own food, make a lot of things from scratch, buy clothes second hand, own older cars with no car payments, do all house and car maintenance ourselves, etc. Basically, we do whatever it takes to make sure I can stay home with our kids.

moralmama
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 2:10 PM
I think it is a matter of priorities. We talked about homeschooling before my son started kindergarten. But we did not think we could. Then after kindergarten, we wondered if we could. Then during first grade, we finally knew we had to, we just had to figure out the how. So we did. We make it work. We have 2 paid off vehicles so that helped.I spend some time on the net daily going through some great coupon match up sites that save us a lot of money on groceries and things. We are careful with our money, shop at thrift stores, use freecycle, etc. We make it by fine. My husband makes okay money but not great. But we are willing to make a few sacrifices to be able to provide the things that really matter for our children.
luvmygirls138
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 5:03 PM

Luckily for us I was able to stay working  as a Nurse .I work from home 36 hours a week on call for a homecare company sort of like an Ask a Nurse Job.My Husband has a good job but if I had to give up my job we would be in trouble.So we have made the decision that down the road if anything was to happen money wise My Husband would stay home full time and I would go to work Full time as I will alway's make more money but one thing we know is we will find a way to homeschool

luvmygirls138
jenl123
by Welcome Squad on Jun. 21, 2009 at 5:21 PM

Not to mention it really is possible to homeschool for little to no money.  The library, and interlibrary loan, is Your Friend!  Also: PaperbackSwap.com, freecycle, homeschoolingclassifieds.com, craigslist, garage sales (tis the season!), visa gift cards at Christmas, amazon.com, library and used book sales, free curriculum online, booksamaritan.com, vegsource.com swap forum, welltrainedmind.com swap forum...

Check out my group Homeschooling Classically!

AudMama
by Welcome Squad on Jun. 21, 2009 at 5:57 PM

It takes some rearranging, but it's doable.

My husband makes 17K a year. We don't live in an expensive area, but it's not a super cheap area either. We struggle at times and it takes some serious rearranging, but having me home with our kids is our first priority, so we really have no other choice.

Hopefully we won't be making 17K forever, but if so, we can live with it. We're living with it now!

bridey530
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 6:23 PM

i was homeschooled and we were what you would call a middle class family.  most of the homeschoolers i grew up with came from middle to lower income families with more than 3 children being homeschooled.  i guess i really don't know how the families did it i just know they did.

MommyBear2003
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 7:02 PM

You haveto just look at yur priorities, In our case...My hubby works at Mc Donalds as a Maintenance man..Trust me, the $$ isn't that good...but we get by. You just have to be creative and do some juggling. We do make a lot of sacrifices in order for me to be able to stay home and homeschool my son. But I have to say, it is very much worth it.

Andrea

buzymamaof3
by Hall Monitor on Jun. 21, 2009 at 10:12 PM

I absolutely agree about priorities.  We are willing to go without certain things so I can be a sahm and a homeschooling mom.  We live on one income for 5 people and have a mortgage (we just bought our house a yr ago).  We make it work, we have a pretty strict budget, shop at 2nd hand stores for clothes, shop with a grocery list, etc.  I think it all depends how you look at things, what can you cut back on?  Look at your entire budget and see what can be cut out, keep track of all your receipts for a couple of months and see where your money is going, etc... 

I stopped working when we had children 5 1/2 years ago.  I have never regretted it.

sahm.gif sahm image by CMC8185thMarried2MyBF.gif Married To My Best Friend image by luckylizziehomeschool.gif homeschool image by LMA1123
CarSeatsareCheaperthanCasketsBlinki.gif Car Seats are Cheaper than Caskets image by gypsysmilesToddlerRides.gif rear facing image by awntkmessm_9757c042111e4c0f404bdd5612b6af4d.gif does NOT = immunization image by shadowkitty0602

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)