Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Desperate Need Of Advice

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2009 at 12:41 PM
  • 8 Replies
  • 722 Total Views

I have 2 girls ages 4 & 7 the oldest is goin into 2nd grade & the youngest is goin into Kindergarten. Is there anyone who is teachin the same ages  as my two & if there is how long do you teach each one ? Last year I only had one to teach & I'm worried that I'm goin to spend too much time with one and than the other. Is there a lesson plan than you use for yours or do  you just plan it the night before ?  Also my 7 year old has attention problem we had a hard time last year tryin to keep her on task and   how do I keep her focused on her work this year now that  I'm goin to be teachin her sister too ?  If anyone has any suggestions please I hope to get something hopefully worked up before school starts which isn't goin to be too much longer.

Triciabutterfly

by on Jul. 24, 2009 at 12:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Bleacheddecay
by Leader on Jul. 24, 2009 at 3:10 PM

As much as possible I'd try to use the same materials when "teaching" but have different expectations about any "seat" work you may be doing.

I'd also try to have a very short period of time just for each student.  With a four year old, you probably shouldn't spend more than about 15 minutes at a time then send her off to play with something like blocks or whatever, which is educational too. The 7 year old you can possibly get 30 minute blocks from but I wouldn't expect her to just sit still and listen that long. Maybe you could go over a concept and then let her demostrate she understands it, then let her work on a few on her own.

Have them both help with the house work, cooking, gardening and so on. They can learn a lot from that and even have fun doing it if it's handle in certain ways.

You might look into some online free games or resources for the seven year old in math, reading and so on.

You might look into the Five In a Row Series Instructional guide using outstanding children's literature for children ages 4-8. You can find the books at the library usually!

http://www.fiarhq.com/

or Mathematics Made Meaningful with Cuisenaire Rods grades Pre-K through 3rd grade.

http://www.etacuisenaire.com/catalog/product?deptId=&prodId=020011

Also it can help to have the older child try to teach the younger child something or for them to play educational games together.

kt7076
by on Jul. 25, 2009 at 2:34 PM

Thank you for the  advice I will take all I can get at this point.

Triciabutterfly

Aldea
by on Jul. 25, 2009 at 2:38 PM

I homeschool my kids.  The youngest is 9 and oldest 21.  When I started doing unit studies with them is when things went much more smoothly.

I will come back with more ideas later, I gotta run !

bigmoose70
by Welcome Squad on Jul. 26, 2009 at 12:07 AM

My kids are 7 and 4. My youngest has a big interest for school and learning. Everytime I sat to do school with the 7 yr old, here came my little one running too. This is how I did it.
When I had to break things down and teach one on one with my 7 yr old, I had my 4 yr old scribble in those dollar store educational books or blank sheets of paper. I would give her (kiddy) scizzors and let her shred paper. Than when I would sit to do some one on one with the 4 yr old, I would have the 7 yr old practince reading and handwriting. Material he could do independantly. I struggled alot until I developed a system.

Basically have one do simple independant work while you have to teach and do one on one with the other. It has helped me. good luck!

KickButtMama
by G.O. Shannon on Jul. 26, 2009 at 10:30 AM

Hey lady! I've got the same spread between my boys. My younest just turned 5 and my oldest will be 8 next week. I've been schoolin them sine they were born..lol...You can click on my homeschooling site in my siggy to see the curriculum I made for last year for each. Basically I try to combine as many lessons as I can (Social Studies, history, art, music, science) Then the boys each have their own stuff for language arts, spelling and math. Mostly with my oldest I give him his assignment for la and spelling and tell him how to do it, then leave him to it while walking my youngest through his lesson. My oldest just needs more hand holding on math. So really they only have me one on one for maybe a half an hour to an hour depending on the lesson, otherwise we all learn together - where my oldest has to write paragraph answers and my youngest just has to write a sentence...so they're each learning at their own level.  

Slán go fóill turning into globe

Kickbutt ArticlesKickbutt Home Education -   Kickbutt Crazy Lapbook Blog - Kickbutt Celtic BOSSigning Spot -  Twitter: Kickbuttmama - Facebook: SigningSpot

aeh111
by Welcome Squad on Jul. 26, 2009 at 4:33 PM

Hi, Mine are 7 and 10.  We have moved into 2nd grade and 5th grade. 

We use several "computer" math games (earn gems etc. each correct answer).  Both love these and will work on several "gems".  I usually set one up on our "family" computer while the other works with me with Spelling, writing, etc.

We also do music every day...my oldest plays the piano and the youngest is now learning too...(DH is teaching them).

Social Studies, Art, & Science, time and money are combined.  We use the calendar (holidays and "National Weeks" to fit "world studies" into the Social Studies lessons.  My youngest loves maps and dinosaurs so we are making a "world" map of where the "meat" eaters, "plants" etc. were found.  [We are working on that now as we are taking a trip to Dinosaur Valley State Park (here in Texas) in a few weeks.  We also did a map of the plants, birds etc in our neighborhood.  they fold up just lake a regular state map.  It's great to take in the car and have them color/fill-in or just point to things on the map.  She loves to fold it up; learned this at 3!

We also visit the Library every week; Thursdays.  it's good to have some routine.  We also have swimming and gymnastics.

In the afternoons (if it's not too hot) we take Grannie's quilt and go outside to "listen" to the sound around us...the one who hears the most sounds gets to have their pick of the story I'll read.  It's a great time ~ no phone, no other interruptions!  We sometimes take our sketch pads and draw things we see.  Cloud watching is also a big hit. 

To me I want my children to "have" fun ~ oh we learn a-lot and sometimes have to sit and do our work but after a long sesson we do something fun to ~ it breaks up the day.

jen2150
by Helping Hands on Nov. 1, 2009 at 9:15 AM

I have a kindergartner and a 2nd grader.  When my youngest was 3 he would cry if I didn't give him school work.  I use weekly reader, clicknread, complete kindergarten workbook for my kindergartner.  The clicknread is a 15 minute learning to read online computer program.  It is fun for them and the easiest way to teach them to read.  We also use flash cards and reading rods books to teach him to read.  I have two sessions where we do school work together.  The morning session is between 1and 2 hours.  The afternoon session is usually about an hour.  I school both of my sons in that time.  I usually do my oldest first and get him started on some work he can do on his own.  I will then work with my youngest and give him worksheets that we do together or do with clicknread.  He doesn't work as long as my oldest.  When my youngest is done I usually  put on a leapfrog video or some other educational video until my oldest is done.  It works great for my youngest and he also learns some phonics.  I try to give each some one on one which is important for them.  We use a school room which works really well.  It helps to have a special place set aside for them to use special school manners.  It helps to set aside some special school rules when school is in session.  It may take some time to discipline them to the rules but once they do days will go much better.  Also I have from lunch to 4 pm. free for house work and my free time.  Those hours are my children's free time but I also give a couple of small chores to help me clean up which is good for their responsibility lessons.  We also don't start school until 10 am so I and our children have all the morning for free time.  Which means it is also my free time as well.  You can schedule your time any way you want.  If you are morning people you can do most of your work then. Our family are not so we do it this way.  Take time for yourself and most important have fun with your children.  I hope this info helps and good luck.

momo8child
by Helping Hands on Mar. 10, 2010 at 11:44 PM

Yes, I am teaching two boys 5 &7.  I try to teach them together whenever possible, but I don't make the 5 year-old do everything his brother is doing.  I only have them do their reading programs separately, and they are both doing Math-U-See, but not at the same pace.  Everything else they do together.  We have to do it this way because I have 8 kids.  I have the 17 year-old girl doing hers seperately, and the three older boys together on everything.  I make a weekly plan with a "table" on the computer.  At the end of the week, I make any necessary changes or additions.  Then that also becomes a record of what they did.  If we didn't get it all done, I can put it on the chart for the next week.  So, just make sure you are doing an interesting program, and try to keep them working together.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)