Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

handwriting curriculum

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 10:53 AM
  • 5 Replies
  • 219 Total Views

I'm going to need handwriting curriculum come january and i"m trying to figure out what i want so i can look for good deals!

my son can make all the letters look like they're supposed to look and usually can make them the correct or same size. he just copies how they look tho and doesn't write them in a flowing manner that will translate into cursive.

any ideas or anyone w/unused or partially used stuff you don't need anymore????

thanks!

by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 10:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
callansmomma
by Helping Hands on Jul. 28, 2009 at 10:55 AM

Have you looked into Handwriting Without Tears?  Sonlight uses this.  I have also had a couple of friends who have used the program and really liked it.  My friend's 5 yr old is already into the 1st and 2nd grade workbooks now.  We are thinking of buying bits and pieces for our son.

Are you done with one?  Is your one a boy?  Want to chat with other Moms who are raising the only boy?  Then check out the group  Raising the Only Boy - CafeMom

Please ask me about car seats and how your child can be safer in one.  I am now a CPS Tech (car seat tech).

livngsacrifice
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 12:38 PM

I did look into it and it seemed to be pretty good.. the only thing i don't like is they want you to buy all the extra stuff to go w/it.

i've also looked at handwriting with a purpose or something like that....i just have nowhere to go to look at the books and nobody who's ever used any that i can ask

Ang4him
by Testing the waters on Jul. 28, 2009 at 1:12 PM

I've used Handwriting without Tears for my daughter last year (2nd grade) and will be using it again this year for her (3rd grade) and for my son (Kindergarten).  While they do have a lot of extra stuff you can get, I've just stuck to the books and been able to use it no problem.

fog
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 1:44 PM

I have used Handwriting Without Tears for both of my school age books.

DD (4.5) has done the pre-k book and is now doing the K book

DS (almost 7) did the K book before he went to K in ps...now he is doing the 2nd grade book. I decided to skip the 1st grade book because I thought he'd be bored.

The only extra thing I bought from them was the wood letter pieces and the cards that go with it.

I really think you can even skip buying the teacher's guides. I never used them. So, if you need the Prek or K teacher's guide, let me know.

I HIGHLY recommend HWT.

Certified Texas Teacher who CHOOSES to homeschool.

livngsacrifice
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 1:49 PM

Quoting Ang4him:

I've used Handwriting without Tears for my daughter last year (2nd grade) and will be using it again this year for her (3rd grade) and for my son (Kindergarten).  While they do have a lot of extra stuff you can get, I've just stuck to the books and been able to use it no problem.

so it doesn't detract from the program if you don't get all the extras?? that's good! I like the way they do the letters too...i think the wooden block things would be neat!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)