Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Starting Homeschooling with little or no money.

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:45 PM
  • 9 Replies
  • 351 Total Views

I just got back from Mexico not too long ago and my husband is still down there. Right now I have under $100 to my name and no job. I want to start homeschooling the kids this year, but I'm worried that I won't be able to start due to lack of funds. They will be in Kindergarten and 1st. They already have construction paper, scissors, glue, markers, and crayons. Any advice at all???

by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
MommyBear2003
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:54 PM

I hear ya...I am starting my son in Kindergarten this year too..and also am on a very limited budget..

Im having to be very creative on activities...

I get a lot of ideas from the library..also there are thousands of sites with free worksheets that you can print..Some sites have games that you just have to reegister to play..some do cost..but there are free ones out there..

My son loves the Starfall games...

I make flashcards on recipe cards..If I dont have them I cut up a cerial box..lol They work just as well

Anyways my best advice is just start googling..lol Thats what I did

Hope it helps

mancosmomma
by Guidance on Jul. 28, 2009 at 3:05 PM

Check your library for free curriculum; mine carries quite a bit for the early grades.  With a library card and internet access, you can cover everything.  You may check for inexpensive workbooks at your dollar store, Sams Club, or Walmart, but they aren't absolutely necessary.

If you know other homeschoolers, check to see if you can borrow, too.  They may have stuff they are willing to give you; I've given away tons of stuff, and have gotten tons of stuff free as well. 

Good luck!

Laura1229
by Helping Hands on Jul. 28, 2009 at 7:05 PM

The library.

Other homeschoolers' supplies they're done with.

Freecycle.

Ebay.

Target $1 section.

Dollar Tree.

Free printables.

Free educational online gaming.

I know people who have homeschooled all the way through highschool on nearly nothing --- you can do it.  Just gotta get your resources in a row.  :-)

fox252000
by on Jul. 29, 2009 at 11:05 AM

You can homeschool for sooooo little money. My son's whole schooling for the 5th grade year cost me 6 dollars!!!! I used the internet and library almost exclusively. I do have a Netflix subcription but I don't really count this in my HS budget since we had this anyway! LOL!! There are WHOLE curriculums available online for free. I have spent a little more this year but still less than $30.00.

luvmycutebaby
by Stacy on Jul. 29, 2009 at 9:13 PM

There are SO MANY free resources online. I really need to look at the library too, I haven't even tried that yet.

Free writing/grammar books: http://www.sfreading.com/resources/ghb.html

Free downloadable HS books: http://www.currclick.com/freebies.php

One free downloadable book each day: http://www.homeschoolfreebie.wholesomechildhood.com/

Also in my signature there is a link for preschool links, but a lot of the links there provide curriculum for grade school too. Check it out.

nikki0522
by Helping Hands on Jul. 29, 2009 at 9:16 PM

Do a Google search for free homeschool material, use your library, check Freecycle and Craigslist. Message me off group and I'll give you a huge list of websites!

jigsaw ribbon   

Manicmondaymomm
by Welcome Squad on Jul. 29, 2009 at 9:30 PM

Oh, you're kids are young! They don't need anything more expensive than your love and attention. :) Play with the art supplies, read books from the library, clean the house together and play at the park!

ncstress
by Helping Hands on Jul. 30, 2009 at 4:48 PM

If your looking for an entire curriculum free try www.oldfashionededucation.com it pretty much has it all, or try www.amblesideonline.com since you have little ones you may try www.letteroftheweek.com with www.starfall.com and another useful source for ideas and printables and handwriting etc, www.dltk-kids.com which links to other breakoff sites.

Little ones are fun and easy to school for little or no money at all!

stacys29
by on Jul. 30, 2009 at 5:07 PM

These are all great suggestions. I went to Wal-Mart & spent like $8 for a Hooked on Phonics workbook for my 5 y/o. It covers everything. I also picked up one from our dollar store. I also suggest that you check your local elementary school. My sister brought me a few workbooks that the school was just throwing away & she had done this back in Feb. Most times they are willing to just give them out to you. I'm in your boat but I also have one in 6th grade. His curriculum has proven to be a tad bit harder though we've used the library, printed stuff out until we ran out of ink, he's played online games (for math & such) & used his workbooks. You can check yard sales too.

Right now you can "get away" with using play time as school time. I try to do something with my 5 y/o while doing household stuff like we recite our ABCs while I fold laundry or count how many eggs we need to make breakfast- stuff like that. I was worried too when we started but it's been a breeze. Oh & if you can get to your library find books about something they want to learn more about (like sea turtles) & then find stuff online to go with it. Also check out sites like PBSkids.org, the playschool Disney site, National Geography site, NASA's site & so on. Many of these "big kid" sites like NASA have student sections & they have areas for the younger kids too. We also took a virtual field trip to the Louvre (sp? in France where the Mona Lisa can be found) which was awesome! Just google virtual field trips, sit back & enjoy. I love this option cause we can see the sites from home & not spend a dime. One last thing, Walt Disney World's Epcot here in FL has stuff to teach your kids on their site. They teach kids about many things that you can count towards their science class (such as how they grow stuff in the Land, stuff on dinosaurs, etc.). Also check to see if you can find a co-op or HS group in your area. Some charge a small fee of $15-$20 per year but they do tons of stuff from classes to field trips to park days to parties plus your kids can make new friends. Good luck & if you need any more ideas PM me. I've found a bunch of websites since I started so I'll gladly share. :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)