Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Structured Curriculum

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 12:57 AM
  • 5 Replies
  • 300 Total Views
Okay, I will try and keep this as short and sweet as possible. I am a beginner homeschooler beginning with my 4 year old. Following him will be his two year old sister and their six month old sister (not for awhile obviously). Anyway, I have two questions:

1. Is there a preschool curriculum out there that can help me with the organization/structure of a homeschooling day? I am pretty unstructured/unorganized and if I had something to follow I think I would do a better job. I looked into the Oak Meadow preschool curriculum and really liked it. It's just that it's not a Christian based program, which brings me to my next question...

2. Do I have to use a Christian based curriculum in order to still teach my children our Christian based values? There are curriculums out there I like but, they aren't Christian. Should I be turned off by this or, are there ways to implement creation into any curriculums?

Thanks

Kyla
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 12:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Laura1229
by Helping Hands on Aug. 12, 2009 at 1:16 AM

I can't help you much with your 1st question. I've never used a "curriculum".  We piece together our own w/ whatever we can get our hands on.  For the preschool/early elementary years, we prefer a very laid-back approch:  workbooks, games, hands-on, every day life observations, crafts, etc.

For the 2nd question, though --- of course you can.  Christian public schoolers learn about Christianity, so why can't yours?  That's what family time & church time is for.  The only issues you may have would lie in science.  (at least I think - I'm not Christian, so I'm trying to think outside my box here).  Secular science curriculums won't touch on creation theories & such... so that's something to consider if you want to go that route.

G'luck

onebabymama
by Welcome Squad on Aug. 12, 2009 at 2:07 AM

Hi Kyla,

It seems alot of Christian HSer's use a curriculum called "My Fathers World."

Might I suggest that you post your question in a Christian HS group here at Cafe mom? There are many women there who might answer your question specifically and could point you to something that they perhaps used.

We are a Christian family and I did not school my son with any pre-school type curriculum.  However, we are very active in our church and our son has been involved with a children's ministry program at our church called AWANA since he was 4.

AWANA is a program that meets once a week and the children learn bible stories and scriptures.  When they are 4 & 5 years old - they mostly just listen to stories from the bible and then repeat a key scripture verse.  As they get older in the program - they must memorize the scripture.

This year, I will be incorporating his AWANA scriptures into our curriculum.

For Christian HSing groups here - you can try:

• Christian Homeschoolers
  • Christian Moms Who Homeschool Their Kids
  • Homeschooling By Heart 

Shelah ~ Camden's Mom

Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!

momto52007
by Welcome Squad on Aug. 12, 2009 at 11:14 AM

as for preschool stuff we just really use free stuff, here is one that is great and it gives you weekly lessons plans

http://www.letteroftheweek.com/Preparatory.html

And no you do not have to use a Christian based Curriculum to teach them but we do keep with christian based stuff when it has to do with science. but you can you always add your own things in so they can learn the values you want them to learn, Feel free to pm me also.

ncstress
by Helping Hands on Aug. 13, 2009 at 12:51 PM

I used www.letteroftheweek.com with my 5 yo last year ( then 4) and he loved it - as did my 9 yo.  I would play the music composers music as we worked on math and spelling and language arts.  They enjoyed it and my 5 yo learned a lot.  I kept his posters in a binder and now he likes to look at his "book" of letters and read it.  We also read bible stories daily and do little bible studies.  But you can check out http://www.cbhministries.org/kfk/home.php and http://devos.kids4truth.com/ for daily devotions both sites are from www.oldfashionededucation.com which offers a free kindergarden curriculum that you might try out using Charlotte Mason's method which incorporates Christian values.  We use this program for my older son and for my now 5 yo.

Good luck!

DaphneMae
by on Aug. 13, 2009 at 1:00 PM

We're using Horizons and love it.  It's very detailed - much more than needed.  It gives suggestions on teaching and scheduling.  It's designed for a 5 day a week program, but gives suggestions on what to use if you're doing 3 or 4 day a week.  It's Christian based, so it starts each day with a a bible lesson and carries those concepts into other parts of the lessons.  The pages are all colorful and fun.

http://www.aophomeschooling.com/horizons/preschool/prs100.prod

It covers ALOT - more than I thought my pre-K would even need to know by the end of the year.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)