Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you make your own calendar or do you follow one?

Posted by   + Show Post

I make up my own calendar for school.  Our group provides a calendar, but they are great about not having you stick to theirs.  It follows a traditional school calendar.  I like to be able to come and go as we please.

by on Aug. 22, 2009 at 5:34 PM
Replies (11-17):
smj1394
by Suzanne on Feb. 25, 2011 at 6:34 PM

We HS year around and we make our own days and times.

AmyG1976
by Helping Hands on Feb. 25, 2011 at 6:39 PM

I make my own up as I go along

lucsch
by on Feb. 26, 2011 at 1:30 PM

I homeschool only one, have two boys in public high school, and my husband is a middle school principal in a a different school system. Our calendar is a nightmare. LOL We start with my husband's school's calendar, but it is hard to have my boys off for a day at home and try to homeschool, so we end up taking days off dh doesn't. This past week the boys had 3 snow days that we did not take off. They were a distraction, but we made it through. I just don't want to drag this school year until the end of June.

MarshaHubler
by HS Evaluator on Apr. 10, 2012 at 6:54 PM

In PA, a homeschooler must work 180 days or 990 hours (900 hours for elem.) For convenience's sake, many parents follow their local school district's calendar, but it's not required. As long as the days or hours are completed by June 30th of each year, the requirement is fulfilled. Some parents do h.schooling on Saturdays or Sundays. That's fine. The cumulative amount is what's important.

Marsha Hubler, PA certified evaluator and author of YOU'VE DECIDED TO HOMESCHOOL; NOW WHAT?

http://www.marshahubler.com/

placidic
by Welcome Squad on Apr. 10, 2012 at 6:57 PM

We just try to get everything done from June-May each year with a couple of weeks off here and there.  I have daily migraines and could never follow a *regular* schedule.  But that's just one of the many great things about homeschooling, huh? :)

AmyG1976
by Helping Hands on Apr. 10, 2012 at 6:59 PM

nooooo I make my own not really a rule follower here

wendythewriter
by Helping Hands on Apr. 10, 2012 at 7:50 PM

I make my own, pretty much. We just started in January. My plan right now is to be done with school by Memorial Day, and start up right after Labor Day. I'm thinking we'll take a week off in the spring, two weeks at Christmas, and a few days at Thanksgiving. Other than that, a day off here and there as we need it, but not following the public school schedule at all. They had at least one day off every month, usually two and a half day every month. Given that our days are usually done by noon, my kids don't feel the need to have that day off all the time, and they don't miss the half days since every day is essentially a half day. lol

Recently, the public school kids were off for the day, and I didn't even realize it until I went and looked up their calendar when the kids didn't go by at their usual time. lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)