Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Record keeping

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 5:07 PM
  • 10 Replies
  • 351 Total Views

I'm reading a book put out by the WPA so far its been pretty helpful since i am trying to get all the details about what our state 'wants' from homeschooling and what not. Now its my understanding that in WI we only need to keep attendance records, but i have read that it is a good idea to keep other forms of records. So we can see how our children are progressing, keeping track of what there learning or in case we need some kind of prof for some reason that our children are learning what they 'shoud' be. So my question is, what kind of record keeping does your family use/ works for you?

*Estrella*

by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 5:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
goldenraysofsun
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 5:25 PM

I have to by law keep track of records, in my state. However, I would want to even if I wasn't required to. It helps me plan my lesons, keep us on track, it's neat to see what the kids have done and other helpful reasons.

I keep:

• Attendance
  • daily log of what we did each day
  • Materials List
  • Videos watched / educational shows
  • Books read
  • Websites Used
  • Field Trips
  • Objectives
  • lesson plan
  • Work Samples

There is probably more but these are the ones I am thinking of right now because they are what I have to do at the beginning of the year. 

It all has to be evaluated by a certified teacher and the super intendant of the local school district. 

Last year we made a cdrom newsletter to send along. It had pictures and such on it. We also handed in a flash drive of some of the M.S. Office projects that the kids made. Powerpoints, reports and such.  

cocoroyale
by Helping Hands on Aug. 28, 2009 at 5:34 PM

I have a notebook type thing that I write what the kids will be doing. Lesson plans. that i save for sure. i keep a list of all resources used. websites, textbooks, lit books, movies and educational programming. the book list is over 40 pages front and back from the last 5 years. but I want to make sure I know what was used. I keep most of what they do for about 4 months at a time and then i go through it and pick what to really keep. art of worksheets. etc. I also keep whatever they have for writing. journals or regular report notebooks. Hope that helps. Oh we also have a scrapbook type "yearbook" ,that we make each school year with pics of fieldtrips and projects we do.

DawnA72
by Guidance on Aug. 28, 2009 at 7:42 PM

I'm not required to keep any records.  So all that I have is the portfolio's that I assemble each year to be reviewed by a certified teacher.  I am saving those.

When my children reach the high school level I will of course keep a transcript.

Momof2IA
by Helping Hands on Aug. 28, 2009 at 7:51 PM

For now I just have a spiral notebook that I record what they do for the day and then have a binder with month dividers that I put work into to save for each year to have as portfolio if we need it.

mazomama
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 8:08 PM

Quoting cocoroyale: 
Oh we also have a scrapbook type "yearbook" ,that we make each school year with pics of fieldtrips and projects we do.

What a awesome idea!!!!!!!!!

*Estrella*

cocoroyale
by Helping Hands on Aug. 28, 2009 at 10:43 PM

Theres always a picture of Dad listed as janitor and then different outfit as principal. just for a laugh.

buzymamaof3
by Hall Monitor on Aug. 28, 2009 at 11:08 PM

as of right now, I just keep a notebook of everything we are doing and covering.  I had a plan all typed up, but then my dd accomplished everything in one day...lol  (for reading and math that is) lol

thMarried2MyBF.gif Married To My Best Friend image by luckylizziehomeschool.gif homeschool image by LMA1123beinformedvaxfree.gif Vax Free blinkie image by thirdtimecharmd
ToddlerRides.gif rear facing image by awntkmesshomeschool2.gif homeschooling mom image by niccuinnStayathomemom.gif Stay At Home Mom image by jyearwood

5littlefinns
by on Aug. 29, 2009 at 6:56 AM

I use homeschool tracker (homeschooltracker.ed) and it works to keep all our records, lesson plans, assignments. Neat program.

mazomama
by on Aug. 29, 2009 at 9:16 PM

Quoting 5littlefinns:

I use homeschool tracker (homeschooltracker.ed) and it works to keep all our records, lesson plans, assignments. Neat program.

Is it the basic free edition or the one you purchase?? I was looking into it but do not wanna spend money on it if i will not use it.

MomofCTTC
by Welcome Squad on Aug. 30, 2009 at 5:50 PM

I use the homeschool tracker too and love it! The first year i wrote out our daily events and it was harder for me. It is free for the basic edition. And at the end of the year i just print out reports from the different areas adn put it in our portfolios; attendance, places visited, books read, shows watched, games played, you name it. In ME I have an option of how i would like to show proof of our school year and i choose portfolios. In addition to the reports i include samples of their work including art samples with different mediums (pics if too big to fit). Then the remainder of their paperwork  goes into a file tote. I have one per year for 3 kids (We do a lot of hands on which can be tracked vs paperwork which adds up). I look at their portfolios and wish i had the chance to reflect on my school years in a way so visual :) And like some of the other moms; we too take pics and create an album of their school year.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)